“Good, but a little overpriced for what we got”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Werfen
Restaurant-Hotel Obauer
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Werfen
Alaska
“Good, but a little overpriced for what we got”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

There were a few definite highlights about the meal, but for the price I was expecting Michelin star quality, and for me it wasn't quite there. I would recommend getting maybe one or two specific courses instead of going all out for a multicourse experience. The town of Werfen is charming, the fois gras was great, and the service was superb, hence, the four rating.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cessnock, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

Wondeful. Stylish elegant room, perfect service. Exciting interesting dinner, magical breakfast which included the most amazing soup. the best breakfast I have ever had. If you are a foodie or love different and classy decor in your rooms, stay here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hopkinson
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel and the restaurant. My husband and I stayed at the Obauer for one night and enjoyed a sumptuous dinner there as well. In all honesty, it was probably the best meal I have ever had in my entire life. And the service was impeccable. The two brothers who run this fabulous institution deserve all the accolades that come their way. Our room was also very lovely and had a boutique feel. In addition, the bathroom was super modern and big. The staff should be commended for their superior service and the owners went out of their way to make our stay very special. If you are traveling to Werfen, you must stay here and also eat at their fabulous restaurant. It is an experience you will never forget!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Hi to everyone. The reason I write this review, is that as I found out, there where not many words written for the village of Werfen and it's gem "Obauer". We were planning our trip for 3 months, with every-day search in the internet. Werfen was one whole day stop (decided extra from the initial schedule), as by visiting the official website (www.----.at) and also the Obauer website, we wanted to book a romantic dinner at the best restaurant that Austria has to present.
Firsty, I would like to say that I am Greek, and the first thing that impressed me, was that it's really uncommon to find in my country something that is top rated and so top quality, out of cities. Austrians impreesed me totally with their country-side level.

Obauer: WE DIDNT STAY AT THE HOTEL - THE REVIEW IS FOR THE RESTAURANT

From the first communication (via e-mail, for booking the table) I was impressed by the kindness and the professional style of the restaurant, as the helped us very much. When we finally got there, we also where impressed by the their elegance, their style, the decoration of the place and the smiling service we received. I have to say, that we were not keen on top level restaurants and I haven't visited gourmet restaurants, but the staff made as feel comforatble and luxurious from the beginning of the night.
Dishes: We had a full 5-course menu, which was very careffully and excellent presented. Dishes were like a live art, and I was staring them before decide to taste them. They were excellent cooked, and made us feel that a meal is not only matter of feeding, but also can be entertainment and a really special event! Top quality materials, as greek olive oil,smashed beans, velvet soups made it special and enjoyable... Although the prices are as expected (pretty high, as a glass of bottle was at 10 EUR and a main dish could reach over 30 EUR), I have to say that they worth it, as the experience and the taste was unique and you have to know that you are in a top chef's restaurant, winning prizes every year.
When we left the table, there was a pleasant surprise for us! The chef, wanted to meet us, thank us for choosing their restaurant and wish good-bye and a pleasant trip! He also gaved me my best Austrian souvenir, as gift (I won't tell you, because it's magic!).
Thinking of Obauer, there is only a thing that I will regret for: The fact that I was assemed that night, to take photos of the place and their dishes! It would be really nice to present some here, but this moment I didn't want to be like a foolish tourist... So you can just find a few other of my Werfen photos

I repeat: We visited Werfen (dedicated one day extra in our trip) just for the dinner at Obauer,and this was a move that I am finally really happy for, as I will remember it for ever, as one of my better dinners in my life!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dimitrios-GR
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

This is mecca for gourmands from around the world. Queen Sikrit of Thailand was just here and Peter Sellars, Bode Miller, and David Bouley are fans.

Located in possibly the only authentic Austrian village left in Austria that is picture postcard perfect without the postcard vendors.

The attractions here are the Hohenwerfen fortress which is considered
more atmospheric than the fortress in Salzburg. Robert Wise found it so atmospheric that he chose a meadow above the village of Werfen as the location of the picnic scene in The Sound of Music. And the fortress was used to represent The Eagle´s Nest in the great film, Where Eagle´s Dare.

In fact the present owners have fond memories of both films filming in their village and their parents serving Richard Burton and the young Clint Eastwood.

However, this hotel is booked by 99% of its patrons because of its world class restaurant. The breakfast alone was better than any dinner I have had so far in Austria.

While the hotel is located in a 13th Century building, it has been renovated 35 times and reflects a contemporary flair that is difficult to find in this part of the world.

So whether you come for the food, the fortress, the ice caves, the atmospheric village, or as a base to attend The Salzburg Festival -only 30 minutes by car or train, do come stay.

• Liked — The restaurant and the view of the fortress from my terrace
  • Disliked — that I could not stay longer
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Adlai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Werfen
Travel Charme Bergresort Werfenweng
#2 of 3 in Werfen
Weisses Roessl
Weisses Roessl
#3 of 3 in Werfen

Been to Restaurant-Hotel Obauer? Share your experiences!