“On of my best dinners in Austria”
Review of Restaurant Obauer

Restaurant Obauer
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Werfen
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: In the opinion of many gourmets the brothers Karl and Rudi Obauer are the most successful in the country. Every year their restaurant achieves the highest nominations by national and international gourmet guides.
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I'm keeping of coming here every year, but can't explain why.

Forget the hotel rooms, some of them are nice but quite overpriced. But they are very helpful once you have been drinking a bottle of wine with the fabulous dinner you are served here. So it must be the food!

Karl and Rudi Obauer are showing how to survive the loss of a Michelin star (from 2 to one two years ago) without giving up their commitment to quality and local ingredients. And it gives us, humble dinners a real culinary experience not to be missed!

Reviewed December 12, 2011

We had dinner with stay over and breakfast at restaurant/hotel Obauer for my husband's birthday with friends and it was really an unforgetable taste experience:
Our dinner was absolutely perfect - we enjoyed unique and surprising tastes, we have not and most probably will never experience, the dishes were light, not too heavy or rich, everything was cooked to the point, the presentation and details were stunning. The service staff was extremely polite and helpful and the sommelier gave great wine recommendations.
Last, but not least we enjoyed the best breakfast ever!

Reviewed September 27, 2011

The picturesque village of Werfen may not seem at first glance to be the natural setting for haute cuisine. So a meal at Obauer is somewhat of a revelation: excellent food utilizing seasonal ingredients sourced from the local area and carefully paired with great Austrian wines. This is some of the best food I've had anywhere.

We've visited Obauer several times over the past couple of years, and each time, the service has been impeccable -- attentive and friendly yet unobtrusive and discrete. I'm continually impressed by the overall professionalism of the staff and how well they anticipate customer needs.

For overnight stays, I'd recommend the rooms overlooking the terrace at the back as (to me) they seem to have a nicer aspect and get the afternoon sun. It's worth staying at the hotel, if only to experience the Obauer breakfast. We were told that people travel from Salzburg and even Germany to have breakfast here, and I can believe it (try the soft-boiled egg with cep -- a type of mushroom). Definitely one of the best breakfasts I've ever had!

Overall a superlative experience. I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

had the unique possibility to take part in the olive oil dinner and every course was perfect which is unlikely to happen normally but is was. Everything cooked to perfection and served politely with accompanying wines in a generous amount. A delightful evening and the Obauer brothers as hosts were very welcoming and open minded as well. Can highly recommend the venue but the single rooms are REALY single rooms meaning small and single bed as well. I missed the famous breakfast because I had to leave at 7 - breakfast starts at 8 for your info. (but they put a nice travel lunch in front of my door instead - a truly delightful stay) Years after years I have been visiting and being surprised again is a very unique thing. Congratulations to the Obauers!

Reviewed August 26, 2011

We had the tasting menu (6 course) and we loved every dishes except the "sweetbread" risotto (can't tolerate the texture). The service was attentive and sincere. Overall, an excellent dning experience.
However, the real highlight was the "Obauer Breakfast" in the next morning. It was definitely the best breakfast we had ever had! Its content was totally out of our imagination!