This is "home" to a great many Indians who discovered Goa in the 70s or early-80s, before the package-tourist hordes arrived. Its one of only three hotels directly on the beach in Goa, despite the hype of other so-called beachfront resorts. Its location has a certain "magic" which has never been surpassed.
The hotel has a rich and varied history, having hosted heads-of-state, business tycoons, film stars and even served as a film-set! Indeed, it has its own heli-pad.
The Aguada complex is part of the Taj Group of Hotels; and actually consists of three properties --- the "main" hotel being the Fort Aguada Beach Resort (FABR) built on the ruins of a Portuguese fort, with an adjunct called the Aguada Hermitage, comprising private villas, dotting the mountainside behind it. There is a sister-hotel called Taj Holiday Village (THV) built directly on the beach, on a sprawling estate with cottages. Guests staying at any of these can freely use the facilities and restaurants at all.
This is a truly world-class resort offering an experience that is utterly unique. Its decor has an old-world, homely charm and style that is far more "comfortable" than high-tech glitz or ostentatious opulence. There are genuine antiques, paintings, sketches and artefacts all over; all in impeccable taste and spotlessly maintained. The slightly "old-fashioned" feel would actually be quite welcome to travellers tired of modern 5-star excess!
Rooms of choice would be the Terrace Suites on the south side, with little sitting-rooms and large terraces offering magnificent sea-views (see picture). Those on a budget should consider the new "sea-view rooms with sitouts" on the ground floor --- not quite so luxurious or private but with that amazing view.
Families may want to stay at THV instead, as that is more child-friendly and has a large palm-fringed pool. The atmosphere at FABR is distinctly more "adult"....and very VERY romantic!
There was a time when people staying here preferred to eat outside....those who do that now need to have their heads examined! Because the food here is absolutely SUPERB --- the variety of cuisines, from local to Meditteranean, European, South-East Asian etc is impressive indeed....and then there's the sea-food which is, quite simply, hors concours. Everything from pizza to Lobster Thermidor is perfectly prepared....and the menu is filled with interesting and innovative items.
A down-side? Sadly, yes. The beach, once one of the best in Goa, has now been ruined by the presence of a ship stranded close to the shore. This wreck has given rise to strange currents and these, coupled with very heavy rains over the past 2 years, have caused massive erosion. Swimming is inadvisable --- and indeed dangerous because of the too many reckless water-sports operators that have suddenly mushroomed on the beach, adding to the ecological problems and pollution. Even so, one can still take a walk during the early-morning or sunset; and savour the remnants of what used to be an extremely beautiful coastline.
The best time to visit is November to February; but booking well in advance is mandatory. Chances are, the beauty of the place and the warmth of the staff (and the fantastic food!) will make you, like so many others, a "regular" looking forward to "coming home" again....and again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vivanta by Taj - Fort Aguada, Goa is at its best. Romantic. Charming. Vibrant. It has history woven in its walls. It's where royalty, heads of government and the biggest celebrities are known to frequent. For the luxury Goa experience, which no other place has been able to recreate. Not much has changed. In the renewed rooms, cottages and villas, the nouvelle restaurants, the island bar, and the Jiva spa where you'll go Ah! In our continuous endeavor to offer our guests the best product, service and value through the years, the Swimming pool at Vivanta by Taj - Fort Aguada, Goa will be closed between 10th to 25th September 2017 (both days inclusive) for periodic maintenance activity. During this period the pool facilities at our sister property Vivanta by Taj - Holiday Village, Goa will be available for use to our guests. Please be assured that the hotel has taken all necessary measures, to minimize the inconvenience caused to our guests. Any inconvenience caused is deeply regretted. All other facilities, and services remain fully operational during this period. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Fort Aguada, Goa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Fort Aguada, Goa Hotel Sinquerim
- Fort Aguada Beach Hotel
- Fort Aguada Beach Sinquerim
- Fort Aguada Beach Resort
- Vivanta By Taj - Fort Aguada, Goa India