We stayed at this hotel for a week recently four the start of our India honeymoon. We have travelled to 50 countries and stayed in over 200 hotels and can honestly say this hotel is the worst value for money we have ever seen. No hotel has ever left me feeling this ripped off that I feel the need to warn others on this site. The positive reviews are so over the top that it is obvious they are written by the hotel to try and offset all the bad reviews on this site. We would not be upset if we were paying $150 a night and we told before that it is a 3 star hotel. It is good value if you are paying no more than $150 a night. There are two reasons for this.
1. It is 30 years old and it looks like no maintenance has been done since it opened. We were paying over $600 a night average and were shocked when we were shown our room. The tiles are filthy, the bath was stained, furniture is very old and damaged all over, bed matrass was a cheap and very hard torture machine, scuff marks all over the wall as it has not been painted in at least 10 years, paint bubbling and cracking all over, outdoor shower area had dead plants and walls falling in, windows in bathroom so dirty you can't see through it. All this is fine if you are expecting a 2 or 3 star hotel and paying less than $150 a night but when you are paying over $600 a night and staying at a TAJ hotel you will feel very ripped off.
2. Most staff are very friendly and trying very hard but there has obviously been very little training or systems put in place. Again average service from well meaning staff is ok if you are paying $150 a night for a 3 star hotel but not when you have been sold luxury. I don't want to blame the staff for all the errors and frustrations as they are doing the best they can with the training they have. The management obviously recruit most staff with no experience in 5 star hotels and then give them very little training to try and save money and make more profit. Each problem we had was not that big but they all added up to a very frustrating experience and we couldn't wait to leave. A few of the many small problems we had were.
A. Most of the time we could not get an answer when calling with a question for concierge. The staff are trying hard but obviously management don't have enough people on the travel desk/ concierge as the poor men can't even get time to answer the phone most of the time. Very frustrating when your villa is a long way from reception and you need to want to reception just to get a simple question answered. The level English is far below what is usually at a Good hotel in India.
B. The tables at breakfast are almost all dirty if you arrive for breakfast towards the end of breakfast time. Lots of staff but not much getting done due to lack of training and management supervision. On two days we had to ask for our coffee order 3 times over 15 minutes. Sounds like a small thing but all these small things add up to a very frustrating experience and feeling ripped off when you are paying for 5 star service.
C. There was a compulsory new years eve dinner we had to attend which they charged us about? $400 for. We assumed it would be nice wines and food. Food was great but the wines offered were so terrible and we found out later they are the very cheapest around. We are not fussy people but the wine was so bad we left straight after dinner as we could not drink them and wanted to have a few wines to celebrate new years eve.
The things above a just 3 of the 20 problems we had when staying over a week. We don't want to sound like fussy people as we are not. We have stayed in 2 star hotels before and can accept bad service and dirty/old rooms when we know we are paying for 2 stars. This hotel pretty good if you are expecting very little and paying very little. If you want 4 or 5 star and are thinking of booking at more than $100 to $150 then don't. There are lot of better boutique hotels and guesthouses with well trained staff and clean rooms for half the price that you will enjoy much more. We are so unhappy with our experience and how ripped off we feel that I intend to post this review every few months (cut and paste in 1 minute) so that the owners and management will hopefully stop charging 5 star prices for a 3 star hotel with average service levels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vivanta by Taj - Holiday Village, Goa, is different, yet the same in many ways. Still the charming village, that flirts with the beach. Where fun lovers come for repeat doses of delight. There's a nice new buzz however. In the renewed cottages and villas, the nouvelle restaurants, the island bar, and the spa where you'll go Ah! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, DerbySoftTaj, Priceline, Hotwire, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Holiday Village, Goa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Holiday Village, Goa Hotel Sinquerim
- Taj Holiday Village Sinquerim
- Taj Holiday Village Hotel Sinquerim
- Vivanta By Taj - Holiday Village, Goa India