“Not my first choice (but maybe my only choice)”

Yuhuan Sightseeing International Hotel
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Yuhuan County
SV Imagine
“Not my first choice (but maybe my only choice)”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel reminds me of the hotels in the Dongguan area about 10 years ago, when they built what they thought was a nice hotel, but it just doesn't really work. The staff aren't trained, the facilities are poor and the cleaning is minimal.

Checking in, the lady at the counter barely spoke English. Sure - I'm in China, but this hotel has gone to the trouble of putting Tourism in their name, so English is somewhat expected. Luckily I had a Chinese friend with me, so he helped check me in.

Went up to the room, which was a little gaudy, but otherwise comfortable. A/C was good (they were having a heat wave, so that was important). The room was pretty dirty. Stuff swept into the corners, water marks on surfaces in the bathroom - just grimy overall. Clearly it had been a while since the toilet had seen a good clean, which is pretty disconcerting!

The room service menu was limited and it was extremely hard to order. I ended up going downstairs and ordering in person at the bar. The food arrived extremely quickly, which probably explained why the french fries were almost raw (and cold) and the chicken was browned on the outside but completely red raw on the inside! I went back downstairs and 20 minutes later new food appeared (chicken only, no french fries).The entertainment options are limited. Not a single English TV channel! Again, I understand it's in China, but think "Tourism".

The towels in the bathroom had been well used, to the point of having holes in them.

I tried twice to get an adapter so I could plug in my laptop. The front counter denied that such a thing had ever been invented and they certainly didn't have one if it had. I know that's BS because almost every extension lead in China has a really cool end that takes almost every plug in the world. Anyway, not way of charging my laptop that night. In the morning I went downstairs and asked again, within 10 minutes a lead arrived at my room.

Breakfast in the morning was interesting. It took me right back to dining in other parts of China years ago. An eclectic mix of foods, but no real options for Westerners. Coffee was super strong (like tar).

Check out process was OK, but probably only because my friend speaks Chinese.

I didn't use any of the facilities (pool, gym, etc). The Internet speed was acceptable for China.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Subotica, Serbia
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I visit Yuhuan 3 or 4 times a year, and i always stay in this hotel.
Main reason is that i can walk to my business partners as hotel is just few minutes walk from factories.
Rooms are very good, internet connection is ok most of the time.
Breakfast is good. Not much to choose from western food except for eggs and bacon, but i can go with chinese breakfast too, so not a big problem.
I had dinner few times in restaurant and i find food more than ok.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I am use to travel in China and I do not really look for luxury places, but I care about cleaning. Totally out of western standards (they charge if you ask for instant coffee in the room, but tea is complimentary), the cleaning is poor, as poor as my cups reamined dirty and in the same place for 3 days and nobody replace them for clean ones; I even put them in the ground by the door, but still staff would not take them away. Hairs in the bathroom floor and half bottle of shower gel still from last guest. Chinese breakfast with little western options and poor English speaking by the staff.

In Yuhuan this used to be the only option, so it use to be more busy, but since (luckily) other nicer and cleaner hotels open, it looks like less and less guest go there, so service in getting worst adn wrost.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Large nicely appointed rooms, quite clean. Reception staff speaks limited English which is good enough for normal dealings.
I'm always staying at this hotel as it is the best in town. The Chinese restaurant is very good but breakfast is mainly Chinese with a limited western offer like toast, egg station, coffee and a few others.

• Stayed November 2012
Shanghai, China
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel many times. Very typical Chinese hotel. Caters to the locals. Service is very inconsistent. Maintenance and upkeep of hotel not great. Check in and check out can be an adventure. We sometimes joke that "you may want to start checkout once you check in". Can take some time to accomplish this simple task.

Yuhuan is somewhat remote area, but this is the best hotel in the area. Food in their restaurant is very good. Overall, never have any major problems when we stay here. It is within one km of the factory that I deal with so location very good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business