“Best place to eat in Kamares”
Review of Absinthe

Absinthe
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Kamares
Cuisines: Greek, Middle Eastern
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Romantic environment with a great view and protected from undesirable weather. Closed for the season. We will re-open May 1st. Winter is coming.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Not typical greek food but a really nice selection of appealing dishes. Ask for a window table and sit and watch the bustle of the ferries arriving late evening and then the hush as the travellers make their way to their accommodation. Then sit with your meal and watch the sun go down. Perfect. If there is anything which doesn't suit they go to great effort to change it , take it off your bill or give you a complimentary dessert or liquor.We ate here 3 times out of 6 on this trip to Sifnos and most nights on our last trip. Recommended.

1  Thank cindy737

Reviewed July 18, 2013

First of all I'd like to say that George the manager is a great guy with lots of knowledge and good a recommending different dishes from the menu. We frequented the place several times during our visit to Sifnos and when we had the Tuna (special of the day) OMG how wonderful was that. Fresh tuna good to your specifications and delivered with fresh grilled veg, what more can I say, they even catered for all three of us on one large platter (husband, son and myself). If you in Kamares on the Island of Sifnos you have to give this place a visit.

1  Thank Julie P
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was absolutley to die for! the Goat just fell off the bone and the sauce was very unusual (Not like a sauce i had ever tried before) it came with rice and we ordered some chips aswell as the chips are all fresh and quite small also always small portions. Lovely place to eat at Sunset, clean and friendly and not expensive.

1  Thank DawnRob_9Haven
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Celebrated my wife's 55th birthday at Absinthe. It was one of the best meals we had in Greece. My chicken with country sausage, apple and herbs cooked in a clay pot was scrummy.
My wife's Smyrnaian meat balls and zucchini patties were less mouthwatering. The house wine was very drinkable and one of the best we had anywhere on this trip.

The decor and ambience are a delight, with everything painted a soft pastel green. The elevated restaurant offers fine views over the bay and harbour. Staff are attentive and helpful.

So why the "pretentious" in my title? We asked for Metaxa brandy after the meal. After all, this is Greece. But we could only have French Cognac or Armanac. I asked for Greek coffee but had to settle for Espresso. Apparently Greek coffee is only any good if cooked very slowly in hot sand....Hmmmm. However, the Espresso was very good.
We had complimentary desserts, as always seems to happen in Greece. And were gifted a pair of Absinthe 2010 commemorative gilded coins as souvenirs of our visit.

If I wasn't holidaying on a pension I would have eaten here again.

George P, Manager at Absinthe, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear KeithPyke,

First of all let me say that it was a great honor that you chose our establishment for your wife's birthday. I would also like to thank you for all the kind words that you had to say for our restaurant and the lovely pictures you posted with your review.

Now as for the two very valid points that you made; On the matter of the Metaxa, we do carry Metaxa.I believe that the 5 star is a fantastic brandy and is included in our bar menu.It was an oversight on our part that we were out of it that night.We do apologize about that.Allow me to mention here that all of our wines,bottled or otherwise,are Greek and we support our country's products on all fronts.
On the matter of the Greek coffee,what i told you that day as any Greek would about the hot sand is quite valid. It is the proper way to make Greek coffee. It is imperative that Greek coffee is cooked very slowly, to be honest we lack the facilities and the time to do it properly so we chose not to serve it at all.

Once again i would like to thank you for your comments and i hope that next time you visit us you will be 100% satisfied.

Best regards,

George Pantaleon
Manager of Absinthe

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The food was excellent. Traditional Greek and Sifnos culinary food as well as diverse Mediterranean selections were available. The multilingual staff was friendly, enthusiastic and helpful in assisting patrons with menu choices and gladly answered any questions.

2  Thank TJHof