“Welcome, food, room, staff - can't get any better than this!”
Review of Scalloway Hotel

Scalloway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scalloway
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed here for the (wonderful) Shetland Folk Festival, and it proved to be well worth the couple of miles out of Lerwick to stay here. The Scalloway is a small, family-run hotel, with a warm, welcoming and very genuine staff throughout. My room was absolutely gorgeous - with Shetland behind every detail - from the original art to the funky Shetland tweed curtains, sheepskins, the softest wool-topped mattress and hand-crafted bed and matching furniture made on the islands. The bathroom is compact but has a big walk-in shower, thunderous water-pressure and the whole thing is elegantly tiled in a contemporary style. Fresh fruit and flowers in the room and real coffee!! The food is fantastic - I'm hard to please on the breakfast front, but this place is the business - locally-smoked fish, fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspeberries, blackberries) or spiced dried fruit compote, Eggs Benedict - whatever you like - worthy of any five-star establishment. The MacKenzies are constantly improving the place, and all I can say is - get me back here quick!

Conrgratulations, guys - this one is a winner.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Aryhoulan
There are newer reviews for Scalloway Hotel

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I only stayed at the Scalloway because for assorted reasons I couldn’t stay at my usual Shetland abode of the Queens Hotel in Lerwick but having looked on Trip Advisor it papered to be an excellent alternative, well I suppose it’s what you want from a hotel that qualifies that.

Anyhow firstly the good points it’s clean, comfortable and the breakfasts were excellent so as a B&B I reckon it would be fine but after that from my view things went downhill.
On checking in the young lady was not to put a fine a point on it quite surly almost throwing the keys at me and grunting where the room was she served at table on more than one occasion and was no more welcoming. As I said earlier the room itself was fine so I was giving her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she was having a bad day, anyhow a wash and change and down for an evening meal.

I must say at this point that the Queens hotel was going to be hard act to follow with a wide and varied menu and some of the finest food I have ever had to fortune to be served in a Hotel restaurant but based on the reviews the Scalloway was going to be running it close.
Well sadly not, now maybe I am an awkward sod but as someone who doesn’t like Mash this current obsession of Mash with everything is a bit of a pain and the Scalloway was no exception but the halibut with Scallops and Samphire looked ok without the spuds (Oh for a Rice or Pasta alternative that wasn’t vegetarian, When it arrived it looked very good and as a technical exercise was fine however it was one of the blandest meals I have ever had.
The next evening was no better ,I went for Steak working on the principle that not just at the Queens but also t te local “Greasy Spoon” where we had lunch Shetland steak had proved itself to be absolutely superb but sadly this was not the case and the chips and rather sad salad that it came with in comparison to the Queens was most underwhelming. Even the Cheesecake dessert that based n the ingredients should have been a taste overload was again rather bland so the final evening was a meal in one of the excellent Indian restaurants that Lerwick has on offer.

So not the best experience of my life and the attitude of the other staff matched that of my first experience rather surly and not seeming to really give a damn, extremely strange as I have found Shetlanders to be some of the most pleasant and hospitable people I have ever met, I will not be staying here again if I can possibly help it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Cliffy315
Caroline M, Owner at Scalloway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for your very detailed critique. Glad you appreciated the breakfast spread, and that the room was to your liking. It's unfortunate that you felt ignored by our staff: we generally make an effort to engage with guests.
With regard to the dinners, we were recently presented with an AA rosette, and previous inspections by visitscotland have recognised the quality of our ingredients and a high standard of cooking. However,having read your comments, I'm going to have to book a table at the Queens to check out where we are going wrong.
We do get defectors from other hotels, but obviously this reviewer won't be one of them. Competition in the local trade is healthy: and it's good for customers.
PS: I've just checked our dinner menu and can only find one reference to mash.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We went for my Dad's 65th b/day meal,all I can say is excellant meal.It was a bit basic but good wholesome pub grub.The price was average for Shetland I would say,but very basic food.Be better withsome more veg etc with the main meal

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank benny41
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel is on the waterfront, so great views over the harbour. The room was compact but nicely decorated and comfortable. Bathroom lovely, large shower and tasteful decir.

The evening meal and breakfast were excellent, very much enjoyed local shellfish and fish.

Would definitley recommend this friendly hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Liz T
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Had a brilliant overnight stay at the Scalloway Hotel - wonderful fresh seafood which was cooked to perfection - Caroline and Peter are great hosts and all the staff were very friendly and attentive - my room was lovely, attractively decorated and furnished with thoughtfully sourced local fabrics and paintings. The ensuite facilities had been recently upgraded and were modern and stylish. The free wifi worked with no problem in all parts of the hotel. Look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Helen H
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Scalloway Hotel is in central Scalloway. The town is small but the food and the staff at the hotel are especially recommended. Friendly, helpful and lovelyrooms. Make sure you try the blue shell muscles- yummy.

Room Tip: There is no lift but the front room looks out to the water
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Terry F
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had a very good stay and would we go back? Oh Yes....the room was clean and kept nicely by the friendly cleaning ladies. The hotel has free wifi which worked well unlike some hotels. The Restaurant just doen't get any better. Breakfast time was very good offering a very wide range to suit all. Excellent evening meals, to a very high standard with local produce. A fine dine experience. Had a couple of pleasant evenings in the Hotel Bar chatting to the locals and off duty staff. The only negative we had, though nothing to do with the hotel, was the price of a single Taxi trip fom Lerwick to Scalloway (7 miles/11pm)...we paid £15. All in all a very nice stay with friendly and helpful Staff. Just what you need for a nice pleasant break.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scalloway
Busta House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Lerwick
St. Magnus Bay Hotel
St. Magnus Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hillswick

Been to Scalloway Hotel? Share your experiences!