“Mesmerising natural beauty - on a solo trip to Deoria Tal”
Review of Deoria Tal Lake

Deoria Tal Lake
Reviewed April 29, 2013

In the absence of any company, I ventured for a solo trip to Deoriatal and Chopta-Tungnath-Chandrashila on 18th April 2013.

After reaching Saari village (which is the base for the trek to Deoriatal), and meeting our local host and organizer, I had a quick lunch and immediately set out for the uphill trek to Deoriatal.

It took me about 2 hours to climb up. I took frequent breaks to take pictures with my camera and rest myself. Rhodendron flowers were in full bloom all along the way uphill. These flowers last only for a month (in April). It is best to climb slowly and enjoy the scenery rather than hurry up (that is if you have the stamina to hurry up the hill). It is best to time your climb so that you can reach the Deorital at the top, sometime in the afternoon, well before the sunset.

The scenery, ambience and the tranquility of this place cannot be described in words. One must experience it in person. I enjoyed the scenery of the sunset and the surroundings. It become quite cold at night. My organizer set up a cute little one person tent for me on the grounds near the lake. It was quite an experience to stay in the tent, alone at night at such a beautiful and calm place. Theere was another group of boys from Delhi camping at the same place for the night.

The sunrise in the morning presents another oppotunity to see the scenry of the himalayan peaks and their reflection in the lake. It was a bit cloudy in the morning when I was there. I departed from there after having a heavy breakfast and thanking my organizer and host for all the arrangements.

I strongly recommend a vist to this place with a night camp in tents. I also strongly recommend - "Please maintain the pristine beauty and peace of such places and do not litter".

8  Thank SkumarM

Reviewed April 14, 2013

After a bolstering experience at Chopta, the next stop for us was at Sari Village, a 14km drive from Ukhimath. Sari Village is the nearest touch-point to Deoria Tal, a beautiful lake having an epic landscape of several Himalayan snow-capped peaks. Reflection of the Chaukhambas in the lake at the time of sunrise attracts a huge number of photographers worldwide. The lake also has a mythological connection with Mahabharata and the story of Pandavas and the Yaksha said to be based here. The best part of the setting is the utmost peace that one gets. As the Tal is approachable only after a 3-4 km almost vertical climb on a stony path, one encounters only the overnight campers during an early morning visit. Located on a mountain top, the snow-capped peaks of Kedarnath and Chaukhamba look extremely close from up there, especially in the absence of any cloud cover. The only disappointment is the trek itself which is devoid of any adventure and tests only the physical stamina of a climber.
Sari has very limited staying options as several visitors prefer camping by the lake. Ponies are also available for the uphill climb if required. The total hike is about 4 kms and takes anywhere between 1.5-2 hrs each for both sides. One can directly return to Ukhimath from Deoria Tal in 4 hrs via a separate unused path with the assistance of a local guide.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I went here last year. After doing Tungnath we (my friend and I) headed for Sari Village near Ukimath which is the starting point of Deoria Tal Trek. As we had done Tungnath the same day, the trek to Deoria Tal which is relatively moderate appeared very tough but it was worth it. Arriving at the lake is a surreal experience with such magnificent views. After walking barren mountains the sight of lush Deoria Tal is just out of this world experience. The view of Himalayan Peaks are stunning when you reach this high altitude lake in Himalaya. You may camp here on your own and there are camping facilities available. One should spend a night here to capture spectacular views during sunrise. You can also capture Chaukhama Peak reflection in Deoria Tal. It's a trek I'd heartily recommend. Remeber there's a fee to enter this place.

2  Thank Nikhil C
Reviewed June 12, 2012

You have to drive down from rudraprayag to sari village which is standing for 3.5 kms trek to deoriatal
a bridle path ascends through the villages and the feilds.as you climb you can hear the rustle of leaves and the gentle wheeze of the breeze.brilliant red stokes of rhododendron trees in bloom appear on the forests of the adjoining hill.a couple of hours later we emerge into the clearing ,where green waters of a small mountain lake appears a little below us,and the snowy peaks which had seemed so distant,emerge magically within touching distance,towering above the lake.
A stone tiled path runs around the lake,with a fabulous back drop of gigantic 7012m chukhamba peak of himalayas

you can some time taking in the beauty of the lake and its surroundings

2  Thank MonalResort