Grand Oak Manor
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
The Kumaon(Binsar)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsheritage propertyyoung couplesir henryold world charmbritish erabinsar wildlife sanctuarysnow fallwarm hostsnaturalist guidedak bungalowwho loves natureexotic placefirst floorbarking deerideal destinationyour taste budsunique experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Firdaus, or Heaven is an oft-wondered space, sight, feeling. Many poets have written about their pursuit of heaven. A unique experience is usually felt through the 5 senses.
Taste : The food at this hotel is excellent. One may indulge in different cuisines with the friendly chefs.
Smell : The smells of the woods made my head swoon, with its invisible yet intoxicating flavors.
Sight : The sights of the Trishul and Nanda Devi, as well as the lower hills trapping the clouds in them, made for some very inspiring views.
Feel : I could feel oneness with the whole space, the hotel, people, forest, the stars and the mountains. A couple of nights with friends over drinks (its cold anyway at night there, no need of Ice) were dreamy.
Hearing : One can really hear the calmness at Binsar, especially from the Grand Oak, as it sits on top of the hill. All clutter, disturbance seems to be left behind. Its only oneself, along with the sounds of the animals, that we hear there.

The hotel is not over the top in its decor, giving prime importance to the nature and senses around it. I would get to stay in a luxurious room anywhere in the world. If I went to Binsar Grand Oak , it was for the nature, and the sights. The hotel I am told is a heritage property, so its normal that such old buildings be cooler and darker than newer construction. But thats the charm!

Overall I would say I was very glad to have stayed there, and I recommend this hotel to one and all, Poets or engineers !

Room Tip: Valley view room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnandMorla
Reviewed November 12, 2012

we entered Binsar Sanctuary, my first thought was' this is one dense forest'...we drove on deeper and deeper, our driver getting apprehensive by the minute(it was close to sunset and it was a one way ride)until....situated atop a hill we saw this colonial mansion reconverted into a luxury (maybe heritage?) resort.
You normally never see the owners of resorts like these so I was pleasantly surprised to meet the owner, a warm and cordial man who gave us the tour of the property as we reached.
His wife was very informative as well, there's a lot of wild life around, we did see barking deer, eagles and once we were close to a leopard (the entire jungle goes silent).We wouldn't have seen all this if it wasn't for the proactive couple who own the place.
The rooms were done with very good taste,a lot of thought had gone into everything from decor, linen,bathroom furnishing to balcony furniture.Honestly,it's very easy to overlook all this plush luxury because.....the views are mesmerizing, on a clear day one can see the country's borders. I'd get lost just watching the 360 degree panorama.
I also sleep best only on my bed at home, well that's changed now.Obviously, the owners have good experience in the hospitality industry.High tea in the ante' room, lots of antique artifacts from the Raj era.
We once asked for pahadi food, and we were surprised at the deliciousness.The server was impeccable with regard to politeness and hospitality. We said we were full but the way he'd say 'please,just a little bit more' made sure that Indian way of never leaving one unsatiated was kept alive.Continental meals were made very well too, I thanked the chef personally before leaving.
One evening caught me sipping my drink getting lost (again) with the lovely view at night when someone recited Shakespeare (To be or not to be) behind me - it was the same polite server from dinner!! A very interesting conversation followed, the chap knows his literature and poetry, we spoke of Shakespeare's many works, to WH Davies' Leisure to Tolstoy, I was zapped!
The resort runs primarily on it's windmill which is fantastic.I personally believe energy is not a resource to be wasted, the owners use cozy lighting when the dining room, high tea room, living room are not in use,I appreciate this.Yes, it runs on windmill, yet there is nothing missing, we had hot water, juices and energy enough to impress us.
Mornings saw us walking trails nearby, coming from a city like Bombay, the air smells divine!!!
One things for sure, IT WAS DEFINITELY WORTH IT!! See you lovely people soon !
P.S. Don't miss the Rhododendron juice!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ArjunArora
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Grand Oak Manor is located inside the wild life sanctuary. The forest is green and thick. The place is on top of the hill which offers great views of the valleys and mountains closeby. One can also treks around the property which are really. One really far away from everything - cars, people...building and general civilisation.
We were disappointed by many things in this hotel : 1. Food - the website suggests it offers continental food, the owner Sindhu talks about french cooking. But continental food or frenh food was pathetic in this place. The Indian food which we switched to was average
2. The rooms are simple - considering one is paying luxury rates, we were expecting better furnishings and furniture
3. Power is not available at all times - The rooms are dingy through the day, since there is no power. In the night the power is left on, until 10-15 minutes after one finishes dinner, it is quite irritating since one cannot read at bedtime also
4. Hot water - is not available all the time. What is available when requested is muddy

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank smart_mummy
TeamGrandOak, Owner at Grand Oak Manor, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

A delayed response, but we were under renovation and are back now. We see similar issues in this review and the previous one, and if we remember correctly, both are from the same group of guests. You were dissatisfied with certain things, such as unavailability of ice, not being able to read at night etc. Binsar is a wildlife sanctuary with no electricity as decided by the Government of India, and unfortunately we (and for that matter no one else in the sanctuary) can offer ice cubes to guests, or refrigeration or anything more than a few hours of diesal-powered electricity. We do not extend these hours as we are an eco-friendly property and follow forest regulations to the hilt, and hence we have timings for things such as meals, hot water etc. It might be inconvenient for some, but most guests respect these guidelines as much as we do and in fact appreciate the effort that goes into running a property in the middle of nowhere. We have also received some fantastic reviews for food, especially by those who appreciate authentic continental cuisine that has NOT been twisted to suit the Indian palette. The owner talks about western cuisine because he has trained in France with a Michelin Star chef, and those of us who understand food would know its worth. We sincerely hope that you have a better experience the next time. Regards, Team Grand Oak.

Reviewed July 1, 2011

The hotel is in a great location inside the Binsar wildlife sanctuary with 360 degree views of rolling hills and valleys all around. Absolutely quiet and very relaxing to chill in the main verandah.
However be ready for only a few hours of electricity which makes the rooms feel dark and dingy. Also no ice for your drinks! we were also very disappointed by the food. The continental fare featured on the hotel website was pathetic in reality and was totally veg for the first couple of days since there is no refrigerator.
Ok if u are looking for a quiet retreat but be ready for a rather basic experience at prices which are not cheap, making it overall very poor value.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank KingKongGurgaon
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I can just go on and on about this place.
I live in delhi and couple of my friends decided to get out of delhi for new year and we went to chaukori and binsar. We stayed at the oak manor from 30th to 2nd jan and it was one of the best new years i have had. The place is on top a hill inside the binsar wildlife sanctuary.

So about the hotel :-
1. They use wind energy most of the time to produce electricity for themselves and now are planning to expand it further more. A completely clean initiative which you dont see much.
2. Rooms are excellent - very comfortable. In winters you dont feel like getting out of them at all but you dont want to miss the morning view of the valley and the peaks from hotel.
3. Staff - very well trained and extremely polite. Cannot ask for better service.
4. Owner - Is a young 29 yr old guy who most of the time stays at the hotel and takes care of his guest. Takes them for small treks if he is free. Overall a wonderful gentlemen.

If you are looking for some quite & peace and at the same time looking for a home away from home kind of experience then this is the place to be. Do not go to any other hotel in Binsar but Grand Oak Manor!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends