“GRT Templebay resort: An excellent beach view property with all the privacy”

Radisson BLU Resort Temple Bay Mamallapuram
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Mahabalipuram
Reviewed October 31, 2008

I have been to this resort twice till now and longing for the next time I will go there.
A little expensive but by the end of your stay you will feel complete satisfaction for the money you paid for the excellent beach view property, good food and great hospitality.....Its worth all the penny you would have paid.

They welcome you with a lovely garland made of seashell and I still have those I received during my first stay as I was newly wedded when I was there for the first time.

Rooms were a real beauty. The wall on the beach side is just plain clear glass and remove the curtains.....u see the beach right from your room as though there is nothing between you and the waters........The rooms has all the facility Air.Con., T.V., hair drier, safety locker. etc...

They have a sexy pool and it overlooks the bay. The best beauty can be captured around 6am while the sun is slowly rising.

Food was good and is served where ever you want it to be served...inside the restaurant.....inside your cottage...outside your cottage...near the pool....on the beach....

You have you own hammock right in front of your cottage.

Staffs couldn't do more....a real hospitality.

Don't miss their Catamaran ride to the submerged temples to the middle of the bay.....what an experience.....they also let us into the water with all the life jackets and harness and my my unforgettable (I donno swimming lol)

Beach was very clean and beautiful void salesmen and fishermen and other public visitors. So you don't have anyone staring at you while with your bikini. The word goes well 'Private Beach Property'.

A perfect romantic beach holiday or even just a weekend break.

Happy Holiday!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lucky26Chennai
Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed September 25, 2008

I stayed at this resort for two nights over a weekend, as a break from working in Chennai. My company organised it, rather than doing my own research, and didn’t really know what to expect.

I was pleasantly surprised, and it was certainly a welcome break from being in the city during the week. Travel time from the city is about 1hr – 1.5hrs by car, depending on the traffic.

The reception area is very pleasant, although open to the outside on two sides and thus a bit too warm and humid. It would have been nice to sit in a nice air-conditioned area whilst checking in, especially after having travelled in a car for an hour or so. However, the reception staff were fast and efficient, and as expected numerous staff were present to carry luggage and direct you to your room.

I was booked into one of the rooms in the resort (I believe they also do chalet/lodge type accommodation as well), which was on the first floor, in a block of four rooms. It was one of the closest rooms to the sea (probably no more than about 20-30ft), and the view down the beach was very pleasant. I’m not sure, but you may have to request these rooms, as there were blocks of rooms behind the one I was in, and which their view of the beach would have been obscured by my block.

The room was clean and functional, but not exceptionally special or luxurious, which I have experienced in other beach resorts in other countries. It was also of a decent size. The bathroom contained a stand up/walk in shower, and a basin/vanity unit with more than adequate countertop space.

In terms of facilities, there is an on site spa, which offers a multitude of treatments. I booked a body massage for an hour, which was good, and is good value compared to western prices. The resort also has an infinity pool (although doesn’t look as impressive as the pictures on the website – what a surprise), although there isn’t any area where you can do any proper swimming.

The Wharf restaurant located on the beach is also worth a visit for dinner (and much better than the buffet served in the main resort building). Very pleasant and relaxing, and the menu is evenly balanced between Indian and Western cuisine. The breakfast, which is served in the main building, is catered for with a buffet and has a wide selection of dishes/cereals/fruits etc.

I did allow the concierge to book one of the hotel cars for a tour of the temples in the area, and took the option of a guide, which for about £12 for 5 hours for both car and guide was good value. My recommendation would be to do the tour early in the morning once the sites have opened, when it’s a lot cooler and there are less tourists/visitors to the sites. The guide/car will take you to a sculpture school, which is really just a shop, and if you’re not interested in purchasing any carving, can be bypassed.

The only minor downsides I can think of, was that a) when I ordered room service for lunch, some of the options weren’t available, b) there was no bottle opener in the room, so every time you wanted to open the bottle of wine from the minibar, you had to wait 20mins for someone from room service to come and open it for you, c) I did notice security guards patrolling the perimeter of the resort on to the beach when anyone not from the resort was walking along the beach (it’s not blocked off at either end of the beach). However I don’t know how effective this is at night, or how safe the area is. On the latter point, I didn’t feel unsafe at anytime, even when walking back to the room at night after being to the restaurant, but it might be consideration for people who like to be in secure compound, and as I’ve experienced in some African beach resorts I’ve visited.

Overall, it was a welcome break from working in Chennai during the week. If you are a single business traveller, I wouldn’t be hesitant about booking in here for a couple of nights, as I spotted a few other single business travellers who were doing exactly the same thing as I was.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank turbovoyager
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Myself with my family visited GRT Temple Bay during July Ist week. Its an excellent property with a star class service and comfort. I suggest this place for honeymoon travellers.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Manivel
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Stayed for 4 days in May 2008 because of a meeting. We arrived in the middle of the night and there was some missunderstanding as the receptionist tried to book me to the same room as my boss. Maybe they are not used to female executives travelling with men? We sorted it out and finally got two rooms as booked.
We had a day to prepare the meeting beforehand and get over the jet-lag. I used the remaining time for a ayryvedic treatment (oily, and kind of rough massage) and some swimming in the wonderful pool. The pool staff was very friendly and helpful - they brought me new towels and looked after my stuff while I was swimming.
During the first evening the houskeeping staff tried to come into my room "to help" three separate times - maybe they were after tips. As I did not need anything, I just politely refused their attempts. I did leave them tips afterwards, of course.

As to the meeting - the facilities were great though there were several power cuts which lead to internet access being cut but it was restored quite quickly. Meals were excellent, a lots of choises. We ate both at the Warf and breakfast/lunch buffet. Airconditioning worked extremely well - so it was nice to have the meeting there.
After the meeting we went to see the nearby temples by car. It was really hot during the afternoon, and lots of hassling but the guide/driver was very helpful. With his help we managed to do some shopping, too!
I would defenately stay there for a holiday or for another meeting.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Mari6
Reviewed May 22, 2008

When I'm in Chennai I try to take the weekend off and stay here to recharge.

This is probably one of the most relaxing and easy going hotels I've stayed in. Its not the cheapest and sometimes the service a little slow but to be honest they are minor problems. It has never felt too busy although there are often a lot of corporate and other events happenings.

The views from most of the rooms are through the palms and straight over the beach - stunning.

• Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank 6NWN
Reviewed March 28, 2008

An excellent hotel, unable to fault except the price of eating in was too high. There are many restaurants nearby to cater for all tastes. The town starts at the end of the driveway with Banks ATMs and shops that sell anything. Beach is OK.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank petepenny
Reviewed March 21, 2008

A very comfortable hotel near a clean portion of beach. No particular charm though, you feel a bit as if you were in Disneyland! The room we were given(about 450 us dollars for 2 nights not inclusive of breakfast and taxes…) was really big but not spick and span(stained cushions and curtains) A lot of tourist groups. Breakfast is far from being memorable. Service is just ok. Nice infinity pool. Don't expect Taj standards, you'll be awfully disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bacon75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahabalipuram
Grande Bay Resort and Spa
#6 of 28 in Mahabalipuram
Village Retreat
Village Retreat
#26 of 28 in Mahabalipuram

Been to Radisson BLU Resort Temple Bay Mamallapuram? Share your experiences!