“Good Hospitality and clean rooms”
Review of Hotel Ramakrishna

Hotel Ramakrishna
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Mahabalipuram
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Excellent hotel to stay for very affordable price. The hotel is well secure and calm.Excellent hotel to stay for very affordable price. The hotel is well secure and calm. Freindly staff and good restaurant

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
1  Thank Sundeep K
Balajisma, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your experience with positive feedback on TripAdvisor. We will Continue to serve our guest with quality of service to make them feel home.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The hotel may not look so great from outside but the rooms are quite good, being recently renovated. The deluxe rooms on the first floor are pretty good when compared to the standard rooms on the top floor. On call restaurant service is good, though the food is just average.Hotel has good decor and offers free wi-fi. Staff is well behaved and helpful. The beach is just a walk away having many eateries on the way offering all varities of sea food.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms on first floor are good.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
balajisma, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your experience with positive feedback on Trip Advisor.Due to road extension in front of our hotel we are in delay of front elevation work which we will give a new facelift for our hotel very soon Thank you and We will Continue to serve our guest with quality of service to make them feel home.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

good location on main street few minutes walk to beach and in opposite direction to rock carvings.
close to shops cafe restaurants
. good value for money food, good service, clean room
i would definately stay here again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
balajisma, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your experience with positive feedback on the Trip Advisor.We will Continue to serve our guest with quality of service to make them feel home.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Booked our 1st 2 nights in Tamil Nadu from UK - no problem - and we were warmly welcomed by Balaji, the super helpful owner of the Ramakrishna. We stayed a couple more nights before heading off although we had heard of cheaper places nearby - but we were happy at the Ramakrishna.
Location is handy for the beach, restaurants and the temple etc and upstairs rooms with rooftop restaurant mean it feels safe and quiet - good street views from the top too. Refurbished rooms are clean and spacious, big comfy beds, good mosquito netting over windows - brilliant that the generator was always available for when electricity cut out so the overhead fan kept us cool (AC is available for extra cost). Balaji helped us with booking train and taxis, finding me some handy clothes pegs(!) etc - we really felt well cared for as guests. We came back for last 2 nights of our 3 week trip before return flight from Chennai and it felt a bit like coming home. Room 206 seemed somehow much nicer than 207 but I think it was just that the back windows were open (behind the netting) so it felt more open (not sure that rooms on the other side of the courtyard all have windows - better to check?). Breakfast was included (up to value of 500Rs for the 2 of us) - bit slow service and limited for choice but adequate. The restaurant would be much improved by a few free standing fans, quiet Indian music (rather than too loud western stuff - please no more Hotel California...) and fresh coffee rather than instant. Also restaurant staff had about as much English as I had Tamil - ie not really quite enough! Long term I understand a swimming pool is planned - which would be a massive bonus... Overall we had a great stay at this very friendly hotel

Room Tip: make sure you get a room with windows - 206 and 207 were good
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your experience with positive and detailed feedback on the Trip Advisor.we will make sure that our restaurant have quick service and good English speaking waiters.we take your feedback on restaurant seriously and we promise to work on it. and we also promise to serve our guest with quality of service to make them feel home always.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I just spent three nights at the Hotel Ramakrishna. Was in the area on business and booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews.

For the most part the time spent was above average. Pleasant walk to the beach. Room was clean, water hot but had to ask for circuits for water heater and AC to be turned on when arrived.

Staff was slow to respond and often no one in office in the evenings.

The TV was terrible but then no time to watch so no problem.

Best part of staying here was the short walk to eat or drink coffee. Meals at the hotel were very ordinary, better food close walk.

Great mornings on beach. Hotel was very safe.

Worst part of trip was leaving as the hotel had booked a taxi to Chennai airport. Left about 30-45 minutes later than planned as it became clear they had to call another car.

Room Tip: No recommendation. Rooms our group had were all about the same.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was at the hotel for 3 nights in February 2013 but I made my reservation and arrangements for an airport pickup back in November 2012. Fortunately, a few days before I was there I Emailed the hotel to re confirm my reservation and airport pick up. It then became apparent that the hotel had no record of my reservation. If I had not taken the precaution of contacting the hotel I would have been left stranded at Chennai airport !!! However , the airport pickup was very good but more about that later. I was later given to understand that the Manager had left the hotel without notice and the owner was running it pending the appointment of a new Manager.
In my initial E Mails it had been confirmed that the hotel accepted payment by credit card. At check in I was asked for payment in full including the airport pickup. It was at this point I was told that payment by credit card would attract a 5% charge. I had not planned to pay by cash so this effected my budget. It would have been been helpful if the charge had been made known to me at the time of me making the reservation.
I had requested a deluxe room with A/C and was allocated room 212. This room was small with no window, no wardrobe or cupboards, only a couple of bedside drawers. The doorway to the bathroom was only about 5' 6" high and I kept banging my head on the jamb. The room was not serviced and when I asked about this was told the cleaners would only do this if I was present. It would have helped if I had been told this on check in.
The next day I saw rooms 213 and 214 and they were far more superior in decor and furnishing than room 212 which I was in. When I asked at reception for a room tariff they gave me one which showed a standard room with A/C at 1650 Rs per night and a deluxe room with A/C at 2250Rs per night. I then queried why my room was not of the standard of rooms 213 and 214 and why I was paying 2600 Rs per night. I was merely told that room 212 was classed as a deluxe room and that they had given me an old tariff. All very confusing and not very satisfactory.
At check in the owner informed me that we could order anything off the al carte menu for breakfast. At our first breakfast the waiter informed me that I could only have an allowance of 300 Rs for both of us and would have to pay for food ordered over that value. He then informed me that there was no youghurt (unbeleivable in India !) nor cereals. The food was overpriced - for eg 2 bananas cost 80 Rs. The breakfast was not good and after that first morning we went out to eat. We did eat dinner at the hotel on the first night and found the food to be good. We tried to eat dinner at the hotel on our 3rd and last night but , after ordering drinks and perusing the menu, when we tried to order food was told that only snacks and Dal were available. Again, very confusing and disapointing. We had our drinks and went elsewhere to eat.
The hotel charged me 2000 Rs for the taxi pick up from Chennai airport. They had used a local taxi firm for this and the driver infomed me I had to pay direct to the hotel which of course I did as explained above. Later, I saw travel agents advertising Airport pick ups with A/C car at 1400 Rs. Another taxi driver quoted me 1600 Rs. Therefore, it appears that the hotel had charged me between 400 Rs and 600 Rs just for asking a taxi to take me there.
Although some of these points do appear minor, collectively they made our stay at the hotel not enjoyable.
On the plus side, our room was clean, the bed was both large, modern and comfortable, the A/C unit and ceiling fan efficient, we had constant hot water and, as I have explained above, when we did manage to eat dinner at the hotel the food was good.
The waiter in the restaurant was good and the man in reception tried but due to all the above points I must regard the service I got from this hotel was very poor.
The location of the hotel is good as it is within walking distance of the beach, shore temple and other main sites of interest
I will not be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: For deluxe rooms ask for rooms 213 and 214
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JBfromNY
Reviewed February 15, 2013

the hotel staff was amiable and helpful.the location was safe and secure.Though the budget rooms were very simple, not upto the mark according to the price charged. I agree we couldnt get good rooms because we booked last minute.Restaurant staff was extremely slow, it took too long to explain and get a single order in half hour. we had to ask for our order number of times, probably due to shortage of staff it might be a problem but this would be my genuine advice to keep the restaurant upto-date and fast moving staff.

Room Tip: if you want to select a room, please select from a month before. As we booked our rooms last minute...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
balajisma, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest

Greetings from Hotel Ramakrishna Mamallapuram.

We are extremely sorry that we have failed to satisfy you during your stay.. However we would like to inform you that all our new rooms are sold out at your time of check In and you have checked in our Budget room category , Now we are renovating all our rooms with all basic amenities to make our guest comfortable. Next time when you check In our Hotel , we promise to make your stay very comfortable. And with regard to restaurant we will take your feed back seriously and we will improve on the same. sorry for inconvenience caused to you.

I request you to contact me next time when ever you travel to Mamallapuram. The team and I shall ensure that we serve you in the manner expected of us.