“Travellers, get to the Ramakrishna!”
Review of Hotel Ramakrishna

Hotel Ramakrishna
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Mahabalipuram
Southend
“Travellers, get to the Ramakrishna!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Everything you want in a hotel and more... It was such an enjoyable stay that when we left for Chennai we decided to come back the next day for an extra 5 nights. The room's were very clean and comfortable, the staff were extremely friendly and the rooftop restaurant was delicious!! What an excellent place and I plan on returning. Best hotel in India! Big up to Mamallapuram!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
balajisma, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your experience with positive and detailed feedback on the Trip Advisor.We will Continue to serve our guest with quality of service to make them feel home.

Balaji.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Balaji the manager is excellent! Very helpful and kind
Great food
Renovated rooms are soooo gorgeous!
Location is perfect as it is walking distance to all shopping areas, sites to visit and the beach
We rented scooters to discover the surroundings and Balaji helped us organize everything during our stay in this hotel
Thank you so much for everything!

• Stayed July 2012

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed June 19, 2012

"A Good Budget Hotel to Hang Out.It was a pleasure to stay here. This location was excellent - beautiful surroundings.
There was a awesome support from staff(Specially Owner- Balaji(a great photographer)).
Overall food quality is Delicious.Rooms are well designed."
--Sandeep (Mumbai)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this review, July 8, 2012

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We booked this based on the info and pics,,,it was abosulately horrid, and the manager couldn't care less..amazing

Room Tip: all were pretty much of the same, dirty and badly maintained, some have mossie net some have air con...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
balajisma, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Hotel Ramakrishna Mamallapuram. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At our Hotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Our New Standard rooms are getting Ready and we are renovating all 40 Rooms in our Property.,However Deluxe Rooms are ready and we have got good reviews about the room. Please give us sometime to rectify all the Problems,I personally Take your feedback and you will be definitely amazed with the change when you visit Mamallapuram Next Time.

Balaji,

Travelers are raving about these Mahabalipuram hotels

Estados Unidos
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Based, partly, on the fact that it okay reviews on TripAdvisor (and was recommended in Rough Guide India) I spent one night at the "Hotel Ramakriskna" in Mamallapuram, in northern Tamil Nadu, three weeks ago.

Based upon my experience during my stay there, say that there are MUCH better places to stay in Mamallapuram. I had had worse stays in other guesthouse during my recent nine-week South India trip*, but Ramakriskna -- I need to say -- ranks among the bottom 10%. And for 1,000 rupees a night, I had come to expect much better places.

I'll list my complaints is as follows. Ramakrishna did not supply a "top sheet" to my bed (just a bottom sheet, covering up the mattress). Also, in my bathroom (with a European-style toilet), there was no European-style toilet seat (requiring that one's bare butt rested on the cold porcelain while doing what-you-do on toilets). I paid for AC, but the power went off so frequently (with, seemingly, no back-up generator at Ramakrishna) that it seemed hardly worth the extra price. [I'll note that even when the air conditioner was working, it seemed to not work well at all (indeed, it seemed to increase the humidity level in the room, and only do very marginal cooling).] And, finally, the "complementary breakfast" was pretty bad.

After one night at the Ramakrishna, I moved one-half block down the street to the "Sri Murugan Guest House" where, for the same 1,000 rupees, I found a much nicer room (with top-sheet and toilet seat), air conditioning that worked very well, and a back-up electricity generator that kicked-in immediately when the Tamil Nadu electric grid failed (which it does, frequently, and for long periods of time). Sri Murugan did not give me a free breakfast for my 1,000 rupees, but no-breakfast was almost better than the one supplied by Ramakrishna.

To summarize: in Mallapuram, I give a big "thumbs down" to Ramakrishna Lodge, whereas I was reasonably pleased with the Sri Murugan 25 meters away.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ArgentineTraveller6
balajisma, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Sir,

Balaji,
Manager Director.
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We moved hotels to stay here after repeated visits to the roof top restaurant for lovely breakfast (and only wifi we found in town!). All the staff are incredible, very friendly and willing to go above and beyond to help. There was a great atmosphere with live music from two local bands on the roof with fresh fish being BBQ'd and yummy dosa's being made before our eyes.

We had a basic room which was clean, had massive double bed and mosquito net. Great value for money. Would definitely recommend to friends and if I'm back in the area will stay again.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank CarolynDai
balajisma, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this review, March 9, 2012

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Hotel ramakrishna is the place where I definitely want to go back next time I visit mamallapuram-

when I just got off the bus at hectic bus station I wasn't sure if I could find a nice place to stay. My bag was heavy and the sun was burning.
Simply I followed lonely planet's recommendation and checked out some other candidates, but out of them hotel ramakrishna was superb no doubt. I felt like a home with my fresh-clean room, always-helpful staff and warm-greeting by the owner, balaji and his father. :-) loved the time I spent on the roof top restaurant- food was excellent too.

Omg I just miss this place a lot- I'm coming hopefully next year! Thx ramakrishna family for great service.

• Stayed January 2012
balajisma, Owner at Hotel Ramakrishna, responded to this review, February 28, 2012