“Food was great, but left a sour taste” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bob Marley Cafe and Beach House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mahabalipuram
Bob Marley Cafe and Beach House
Ranked #10 of 29 Mahabalipuram B&B and Inns
Galway
“Food was great, but left a sour taste”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

A friend of mine and I stayed at the bob marley upon reading reviews on trip advisor, but did not note that the most recent review was from February 2011. The guesthouse has changed ownership since then. The swamy you read about below is long gone and according to other restaurants we met, the place is not the same.
We booked in for two nights with the seaview room with fan paying 800INR per night. Upon arrival we were famished and asked to see to menu. We were told that due to renovations the menu only existed in the chef's head. Alarms bells didnt ring due to the great reviews here. We both ordered the fish curry. It was a great meal, but nothing too special. The following evening we ordered another meal and again it was great. In this time we had visited a number of restaurants in Mamallapuram and the standard price for our four meals would never cost more than 900 rupees but when we came to check out, they were looking for 1800 rupees. After some arguing, the new manager, Robert was called and he was amenable to us paying closer to the 900 figure. However upon passing the phone back to the chef Apu, a much smaller discount was applied and Robert had to be called again. It really felt like the staff were trying to pull a fast one while the manager was out of town.
The location is good, right on the sea with a view of the shore temple. Rooms were basic, but ok value. Assistant manager Elvis was MIA for all the trouble, but while present he was very helpful

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bkbj
Bob-Marley-Cafe, Owner at Bob Marley Cafe and Beach House, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I would like to express my views in regards to your feedback:-
unfortunately, I was not present during your stay with us, We had nice conversations over the telephone and explained you after talking with the chef Apu that the fish what you & your friend had for lunch and dinner was expensive blue tuna variety (lesser bones & tasty) which is not the same with other restaurants you been in Mamallapuram, you did understood all & asked me for 50% discount on the bill, which I also did to make you happy.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

first of all u love tranquility this is the place.with the vast ocean in front of you and the beautiful shore temple to your right you have all the most extravagant view.rooms are at different levels serving to different numbers of occuptant.restaurant is nice.dont miss out the weekends here,you will find lot of interesting people here.

you will always wanna visit this place again if u check in once......

Room Tip: dont go by reviews check in and feel the place.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank reachelvisin
Etten-Leur, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

Swamy is the best host you can imagine.. And he becomes a real friend..
The rooms are basic, and so is the food they serve.. But the whole crew is working with pleasure and love..
The location is amazing!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Loony-Leonie
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

I followed the recommendations here and was shocked to see the so basic condition of this guest house and its rooms. After one night I moved to another guest house (most of them are of better condition than Bob Marley!). i suspect all these misleading recommendations were bogus.

Sorry, I can't recommend this one at all!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Erezoni
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

I just love the Bob Marley Guesthouse. I stayed there three separate times recently whilst travelling in India - and Swami became a real friend. He was incredibly helpful and posted stuff home to the UK for me as well as picking me up from the bus station one night and helping me to sort out some other stuff. The rooms are basic but clean and the views are awesome. Location is right on the beach, facing the sunrise. Great place to hang out and meet other travellers too.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank evieinindia
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

I went by myself to check out the area and I had a great time with the guys at the hotel. Swami and his brother are off the hook for hospitality. I left my phone charger at home and they personally took me to go buy another one just to help me out. The fresh fish and food are amazing value and taste.

I felt really safe and had a great time talking to other travelers and the locals the frequent the hotel for the conversation. Great stay for backpackers.

Beware of the touts telling you this place isn't open anymore or giving you the wrong direction.

Well done guys. Way to show me a good time!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank TonyG83
Izegem, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

I was in india 3 times and every time I keep going back to the Bob Marley, i love to just sit in the Bob Marley, have a drink and talk to Swamy, Stalin and the local people who go there. It is a nice place to meet new people, who are also travelling. There are clean rooms, very friendly staff who is always ready to help you and you just feel so relaxt! They always helped me if i didn't find my way , if i needed anything or if i just wanted to chat a little bit. Really i had (and i am sure i will have) some really nice times there. I will surely recommend this nice hotel/restaurant to everybody.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends