“Disappointing -Don't let them put you in room 203”
Review of Hotel Mahabs

Hotel Mahabs
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Mahabalipuram
Mumbai
“Disappointing -Don't let them put you in room 203”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Disappointed. After booking 3 days with them they put us in a bad room with an old window noisy a/c that didn't work probably. Finally the a/c stopped working so they were forced to put us in a better room with a modern a/c unit. Rooms aren't that big. Furniture is ok. Breakfast is ok-they will make you an omelette-the rest of the food is indian. The coffee is instant. Not much food choices but service was good. The pool is near the restaurant & some of the rooms so other people can see you. I like Sea Breeze hotel's pool much better it has a fence. I was disappointed that they would deliberately put us in a bad room. Also the facet in bathroom was broke. The TV has some English channels. I would say Mamalla Heritage Mamallapuram Hotel is the best. It has a pool & 3 restaurants & an a/c room. Sea Breeze hotel is nice too. We ate at their restaurant -priced are good compared to other places. That's the problem with booking online they think they can treat you any old way at Hotel Mahabs. You have to walk to the beach about 10-15 minutes. Beach is dirty with trash on it & horse & cow dung. Waves are very strong so you can't really enjoy it. Many Indians are on holiday the month of May so it is very crowded & at the pools at the hotels also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Beverly M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Mumbai
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was a very good stay. Food outside is not great. Hotel food is Ok. Good location and nice pool. We were able to cover all main attractions easily. This Hotel does not have a beach front. There are several other hotels in similar price range having beach front.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We family of 5 people including 2 kids stayed for 2 nights here.We booked a two rooms suite which is above the reception.
Pros :
- Very good location. Walkable to beach, Temple and Sightseeing places.
- Well maintained Swimming pool.
- Friendly Hotel workers.
- They arranged us a refrigerator at room immediately.
- Hen Pen, Doves and Fish tank engaged kids to play.
- Flexible breakfast buffet.
- Room prices are reasonable
- Power Back up is good and they activate it on time without troubling us.
Cons:
- Food is not good here.Except A2B restaurant all other restaurants are not good.So dnt expect too much good food here in mahabalipuram.
- Stairs to our room is not secure.
- Non-AC restaurant in this hotel is very sultry even in morning breakfast time.

Overall We love the stay.We will surely recommend people to stay here.

Room Tip: If u want two rooms suite then choose the room above reception.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed overnight while travelling to Pondicherry and i think that was enough to see the main attractions. The Hotel has good sized rooms, specially the deluxe rooms which open to the swimming pool. Nice clean pool but they close it very early..The location is good and walking distance to both the market, sights and the beach. The food was just average. The staff was keen to help. Was not expecting five star service or refinement at this price point. It would not take much from them to improve the presentation and service a little bit and then maybe it can expect a 5 star.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms near the pool are good...choose first floor if you want more privacy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We chose this hotel based on reviews from Tripadvisor, but the hotel is nowhere close to what is expected when a price of about 2500/day is paid. The rooms are quite ordinary and not very clean. It has a pool that is okay. The staff in the restaurant in the hotel are not very helpful or even courteous. The location is quite central to everything in Mahabalipuram. But for that we did not find anything nice about the place. It does have parking in the premises, but not covered.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank srinand
UK
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Hotel is about as central as you can get in the town - tucked down a short road near the bus station. Rooms and restaurant arranged around a very attractive pool, shielded from the noise and bustle of a busy main road. Trees and exotic plants, birds, it all seems to good to be true. The room we had was spacious and very well-appointed. Sadly, there seems to be little or no communication between the various members of staff. Hand in room keys early morning and ask for the room to be cleaned "Yes, sir, straight away" - 4.00pm and the room hasn't been touched! This happened three times! All water to the room was turned off twice during our stay - once while I was actually in the shower! No apology, no explanation, nothing!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Greedy

A room at the ground floor with a view on the swimming pool. That was what I asked at the Mahabs hotel in Mamallapuram. The answer: you have to pay a week in advance and we try to give you a room on the ground floor. Two years before I stayed in hotel Mahabs and I knew the situation. To pay in advance… Thouse are the dangerous hotels. I never trust them and by experience I know you have to be a fool to pay in advance. They put you were they want and you are unable to change or even to walk away if you don’t want to loose money.
My answer: I pay one day in advance so I can walk away next day when I don’t get this room. Mahabs agreed and so my wife and me arrived in the evening. I felt immediately there was something rotten. I got a key, the number starting with 2. Second floor also. I refused.
There came another key. Yes, a room on the ground floor. Only one problem when a boy opened the door: the room was occupied. The man after the desk smiled, ‘a little fault.’ The smile I should see the next weeks every time when he told me a new lie.
Next day he had a room on the ground floot, he gave me the number. And yes, it was a room. With a view on a wall, no swimming pool. When the ‘inhabitant’ saw me looking, he asked what I wanted. I told: ‘looking at the room I get tomorrow.’ He was shocked, did know nothing about his departure. Well, I was apparently not the only guest with a problem.

Tired after so much fuss we accepted a room on the second floor, impossible to get something else. Anyway: a view on the swimming pool. From heaven.
The room. .. The air conditioning worked. Very, very well, you could not stop it anymore. Electricity in the room started after putting a card in a holder. And from that moment de ac roared wildly. A button to stop the ac did not respond. The button to lower the heavy blowing wind had disappeared for ages . So a room with a stormy day and night. If you apprerciaty such windy cool rooms: go to Mahabs. They can provide it for you without extra costs.

Cleaning
The cleaning in Mahabs is a miracle you will never see again. There is a group of six, yes six cleaners on the way to clean 34 rooms. A lot of cleaners, not so much rooms. But this company of six did mostly not arrive before 5 pm to clean. So you sit the whole day in your own dirt. Astonishing , isn’t it? You saw them coming: the desert storm. Everybody his own task. And a lot of talking because cleaning of a room with six men is not an easy going project.
We were wondering why cleaning in Mahabs is going so slow. After two weeks we understood: they dont’t work only, they are thinking and discussing a lot. That gives the stay in such a cleaned room a wider dimension.

Internet
You can see the owner of the hotel, he is walking all day around. No he is not the man with the eternal false smile after the disk. His smile is different. The smile of the boss.
He is a little bit greedy as we discovered. Internet is not free. No, you have to pay. For one hour, for three hours and for 24 hours. I asked why customers had to pay:’You are about the last hotel in India which asks money for the use of internet,’ The eternal smile as answer. Me and other guests discovered something strange. When you bye a ticket for one hour the internet connection stops after 45 minutes. A guest on Tripadvisor disclosed : I bought a card for three hours, after 50 minutes it was over. Other guest had the same experience. A way to gain money? It could be the explanation. There is another. The boss has forbidden his staff to go on internet. And they, the poor sheep, wat are they doing? They take the internet cards which the guest have to buy. They use them to go on internet and you, the guest, are the looser.

Restaurant
I got a bill for 292 rupee. I paid 500 rupee and got 200 back. A second time happened the same. I asked: ‘ Where is the change?’´It is more convenient for us not to pay the rest,’ was the answer. So the greedy boss had ordered his waiters not to pay back. Perhaps is the financial situation of the hotel dramatical and had the boss to take such drastic measures.
Perhaps it is therefore there is hardly any maintenance. They are not looking after air conditioning or tabs. Most of the electric contacts in my room did not work. ‘,’Where can I buy an adapter,’ I asked the staff. ‘Somewhere in the street,’was the helpful answer.The towels have been used, by thousands, perhaps by ten thousand guests. And you can see it.
Am I the only one with complaints? No, I heard the same stories from other guests too.
The management of this hotel is bad, you cannot trust the staff . But the hotel is beautiful, one of the best of Mamallapuram. Nice pool, very helpful bathmaster, the ambiance is nice. We suffered all the inconveniences of this hotel because of the wonderul place and surroundings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hessel28

Travelers are raving about these Mahabalipuram hotels