“Good room ..But !”

Hotel Lakshmi
Melbourne, Australia
“Good room ..But !”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were looking forward to staying somewhere with a swimming pool as the beach here is not the cleanest . Our room was spacious and clean with A/C . After settling in and paying for three nights accommodation we went looking for the pool only to find it was empty and in a dilapidated state .
We had been told by the manager when we arrived the pool was fine "full of clean fresh water not like others in town " . He lied ! the pool looked like it had not been used for many months with tiles falling off and broken fittings . They just laughed when we complained . Too bad we had already paid .
They also told us we could have free wifi ,wrong again ! No wifi , we had to go to an internet cafe in the next street.
When we left we had an early evening flight and asked if we could use the room till about 3 pm ,the answer was no be out by noon even though there were only two other people staying there and plenty of vacant rooms .
I would stay somewhere else as there are other hotels near by .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank daverob999

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed August 19, 2013

When I first came to Mahabalipuram I got a list of hotels which I got through Google search and randomly selected Hotel Lakshmi. When I checked in I was not at all disappointing. Clean and comfortable rooms, had a very pleasant and fine stay. The staffs were very friendly. The most amazing part of the hotel is its restaurant 'The New Cafe'. Brilliant ambiance at night and a good spacious party place! Worth a stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
22 Thank Mehtaj0007
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our rickshaw brought us here. And no wonder...I think this place only makes money by bribing the rickshaws and taxis...otherwise, no one would ever come here.

First, the room was FAR too expensive! At Rs. 1500 per night for a shoddy AC room in the off-season...but we took it anyway.

Second, we received no blankets/sheets. I had to walk around the hotel searching and searching at 11pm to finally find someone who would give them to us.

Third, only one plug point/outlet worked in the entire room. The TV could not reach any of them, so there was no point to paying for that amenity.

Fourth, our bed was incredibly lumpy, and on my side was essentially a giant dip in the mattress that made any sleep quite uncomfortable.

Fifth, and most important, the power was always out. Now, that could be said for a lot of the city, but it was how the hotel handled it that was the issue. Essentially, the hotel staff never seemed to care. During the day, when we wanted to relax in the room, it was like twisting arms to get them to turn on the generator so we wouldn't melt. And at night, the power should ALWAYS be on so sleeping guests have fans and AC, which we paid for. The power was off so frequently that we couldn't sleep. When we approached the staff once, they said "Yes, it's off" and turned around and went back to sleep. Absolutely unacceptable!

However, the place was relatively clean (no cockroaches or too many mosquitoes), and they did respond relatively quickly when our AC wasn't working. So, it's almost a 1 star place...but not quite. Still, avoid if you can! You can get better service and facilities at a cheaper rate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Sapan P

Travelers are raving about these Mahabalipuram hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Last month was our second stay at Hotel Lakshmi and both times we had a very pleasant and nice stay. location excellent and safe. The hotel is also very close to the beach.

During our last trip we stayed for 9 days in Mamallapuram at Hotel Lakshmi and had no problems whatsoever with the hotel.

Our room(number 26, last time it was room number 18) on the second floor was clean and nice with a nice shower and toilet. The staff gave us a mosquito net to hang over the bed so we used to sleep very well without any mosquitos bothering us. There was also no other disturbance in the net, very quiet and peaceful. Outside our room we had a table and chairs and we used to sit there and read books and eat ( we could order food from the restaurant The Newcafe which excellent varieties of food,especially seafood)

Our room was non A/C but they also have an A/C room which has a television and is bigger than the other rooms. Our friends stayed there since they were persons and they liked it.

The staff was friendly and always made sure we had everything we needed. The owner Mr.Jothi is a nice man who is fluent in english and is very helpful with first time travelers who don't know much about the town and getting around.

The only downer of the hotel is maybe the size of the rooms, not that big, but then again if you are planning to spend most of your time outside you don't really need a big room. Also, it is a private hotel and no outsiders are allowed in so there are quite a few nice spots around the hotel to sit down and read your book and get the nice sea breeze from.

There is also a swimming pool at the back ( Lakhsmi cottages) it's nice but we preferred swimming in the sea since we like surfing and when there are big waves it is possible to surf on the beach! :)

I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a clean, nice and cheap room with good service.
We felt safe and at home at the hotel and will surely stay there next time as well. beautiful place for a cheap price!

Room Tip: room 29 is A/c and big. other rooms smaller but very cheap and clean, ( we stayed in 26)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
36 Thank isabella O
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We got off the bus and a nice guy jumped us, gave us a great price of 400 ruppes a night, clean room, fan, toilet, and free tuktuk ride there an if we dont like he wil drive us back free,

How could we say no? We went and as soon as we walked in I started to think uh oh... first room shown had a smelly long drop toilet so asked for another. Ok, went upstairs and this room had 2 singles but the room looked like a prison cell, and the sheets smelled and looked very very old/used/never cleaned, with rips and not too pleasant smelling.

I agreed to stay one night and let them know next day, but later that night we started looking at other options and we were getting quoted similar prices for nicer rooms. So I went back and asked for a different room , and that was no problem at all, the owner is really nice guy he took us to a new room which was fine, but at this stage I had found a place with free wifi at the same price so we stayed that night with no hassle, exept for the fan constantly switching off at night.

This place is for the people that can sleep anywhere on anything and comes at a budget price!]

Also, the swimming pool has been closed down...

Room Tip: I saw 3 rooms, 2 did not suit lol... so just make sure you see te rooms first
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Sharmanat0r
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had to arrive to Mamallapuram at midnight because the bus from Kanchipuram had problems. The people there confused Mrs. Rajalaxmi's with Hotel Laxmi so the autorickshaw left me in the worst place ever. First I had to deal with a filthy guy who offer me a "welcoming party with drinks" (which meant HE having a party) because he thought I was a foreigner and assumed he could have sex with me. Even though I clearly specified I'm a NRI (Non Resident Indian) and he told me I was wearing cumcum as a married woman he kept offering me a drink. When I filled the register and found out I'm 42 if even dared to cry out loud: "Yes! I should have a party!" He tried to be "friendly" by touching my shoulder and I said loudly "Do NOT touch me!" so others would listen. If it wasn't because it was so terribly late I would've just run away from that hell.
That's not the only complain (if it wasn't enough)! The mattress had fleas! I couldn't sleep at all! I spent the night scratching myself and praying for daylight! Is that the kind of places Lonely Planet recommeds??? If we Indian women cannot feel safe, what happens to foreigners?! Don't ever go there!

• Stayed July 2012
22 Thank Take me to thy Leader
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Me and my friends from Sweden have stayed at Hotel Lakshmi many times while visiting Mamallapuram.
Every time I visit Mamallapuram I stay at Hotel Lakshmi, usually room number 27 or 29.
The Hotel is located on Othavadai Cross street which is the cleanest street in town with a lot of happening. It is also located very close to the SeaShore temples as well as the beach, you can even see the beach from the hotel.

The rooms simple but very clean and comfortable and the best, the price is really not bad(negotiable with the owner, and price also depends on the time of the year). There is also A/C room which is big with a television and a very spacious bathroom.

The staff has always been very nice and helpful so I always feel safe staying there.

I used to love sitting on the roof at night time and watching the sky filled with stars, the hotel roof is perfect for that.

There is a lovely private swimming pool at the back as well.

The Restaurant( the new cafe) is amazing. Never tasted that tasty food in Mamallapuram and have also never got stomach problems while eating there. They also have great music playing and there are live music shows happening on weekends.

Will definitely keep staying at hotel lakshmi in the future.

Room Tip: i like room number 27,29 and 25 and the most but all of the rooms are good in my opinion.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends