“Excellent location for vacationing”

Lotus Backwater Resort Aronda
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sawantwadi
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We had a group of 5 families (18 in all) visiting Lotus Backwater Resort Aronda for a stay of 2 nights. We all had a wonderful time at the resort. Both Azhar and Shailesh were extremely courteous . They went out of their way to ensure that everyone was comfortable and were available to sort out our concerns.The surroundings of the resort is very picturesque. A great place to visit especially if you visit it in a group.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 6, 2011

am just back from a days stay at lotus backwater resort, aronda. the experience was in two words disapointing and disgusting. first once we went to see the rooms we were told that there are standard rooms availabe. i just went to check out the room which included heritage and floating rooms and to my surprise found the standard ones the best amongst the rest, but to my surprise when i came back to the counter i was given to understand that the standard rooms are not available. so i choose heritage. i still dont know why they are called heritage -- maybe because as a doorbell they have the antique screwed bell which rings only after you pull a string. the room was dusty, the linen stained, the ac not working, no place to hang clothes, no hangers and worse the toilet was stinking.
the hardest shock was when the time for lunch came along -- and since i had optedfor the AP which is all inclusive, breakfast, lunch and dinner -- i was given to understand the starters , beverages and deserts will be charged and from the main course you can choose ANY TWO vegitarian or non-vegitarian items. imagine you pay a thousand extra for this choice? i changed my plan and just booked the rooms.
we got the room cleaned but inspite of that the toilet still stinked. after many calls they finally at 10pm sent a person to sprinkle a room freshner. The night was ok but the day brought the stink again.
i had plans to stay for 2 days but after one day i was just waiting for breakfast and to run away which i did.
so my honest advise to all and sundry is PLEASE stay at home instead of spending a day at the lotus backwater, resort. and why is it the backwaters because the sea is in the background? the floating cottages should be called island cottages because they are not floating but are built on concreate foundations and are not floating in the water.
....and even if you go by chance to this place, please check the Amul milk sachets they provide, i got a 2006 pack which refused to stir in my cup.
a terrible, horrible and disgusting experience and i hope i never have to go there even in my worst nightmares.
P.S. the rooms on the website are shown with blue backdrop, i just couldnt find one with that backdrop.

Room Tip: if you want go choose the standard rooms please and dont opt for the A.P.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
15  Thank avinashpereira
Reviewed October 30, 2011

During our 4 days of the stay we were very well looked after the food quality was also excellent also the room was spacious and well kept cleaned.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rahul R
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed there recently for 3 days in end Sep 2011 and let me tell you all that what matters for me in such places is the attitude of its people. Could be that some guests had some bad experiences, but I give full marks to staff who a) acknowledge that there was a mistake b) take steps to correct the mistakes. This is what has happened at Aronda Resort. The manager and management there at least took the feedback and complaints seriously. What do you do of the vast majority of managements in India who don't even acknowledge that they made a mistake?
Sailesh and his staff were excellent hosts during my stay. The resort is on a journey of improvement and if encouraged properly, it is a property with immense potential for any type of guest. In my opinion, they need to upgrade the infrastructure and maintenance. Also, the lack of balconies does injustice to its location at a splendid waterfront. In totality, location wise. attitude-wise and service wise, it is an excellent resort. If you want to compare, just go to Arambol on the opposite end and feel the difference in everything. You will appreciate Lotus much more then. sharma

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This hotel was recommeded to me by me friends. I saw its pictures, its videos, its website and read reviews on Trip Advisor and was really impressed by what I heard and saw. I also heard about its 'floating cottage' and was really impressed by the Concept. I had decided to send my Parents to this Hotel and decided to make their New Year a Most memorable and Best One. I came to know that bookings are done through Mumbai office and I requested the Sales Manager of Mumbai office to take 100% payment of Hotel Booking and Car bookings in advance, so that when ever my parents go there, they do not face any problem of making any Payments and I accordingly made payments of 100% Tariff of American Plan ( All Meals) and car bookings in advance to the Hotel. I and my Parents were told that the Managers of the Aronda Property i.e. Mr. Azhar and Mr. Shailesh would help them in case they need any help.

My Parents visited the property on 31st Afternoon and were told that in case if they are interested in watching puppet show, magic show for the new years eve then they would be required to pay Rs.350/- per person extra, since they were not interested in watching the same, they informed the hotel that they will not be watching the same. They checked in the room in the afternoon and till mid night there was no body to provide them with glass of water, my father who is Sr. Citizen, heart patient, requested Azhar to atleast provide a jug of water, the reception told them that it would be provided but the same was never provided. The outside surroundings do not have any shops from where you can buy bottled water and there are no transportation i.e. Rikshaw or taxi which you can hire and get small thing like, water bottle, soap, paste etc. The hotel staff entertains only boozers who ask them to bring different brands of liquors, so that they can be paid good tips for their service. My parents were told by a hotel staff that Mr. Vittal Kamath has hired Contract Labour from the local village and pays them only apprenticeship fees instead of Salary/Wages and thats the reason they provide average service to those customers who are likely to pay them heavy tips and absolutely no service to those who are not likely to pay them tips eg. Sr Citizen and non boozers etc. My parents when they went for buffet dinner for the new years eve, they were told not to eat all the dishes as they were not entitled for all the meals, they were made to sit one corner table in the garden and were told that they will not be allowed to go near the buffet. One waiter served them with Soup, the moment my mom started drinking it, immediately Manager Mr. Azhar rushed to my mom and snatched the soup bowl from my mom's hand and informed her that inadvertently the waiter had served them with soup, both my mom and dad were not entitled to have soup for the new years eve and took away the half dranked soup from my parents hands, my parents couldn't immediately left from that place and went to the room felt insulted and could not sleep by the ill treatment meted out to them. Next day morning nobody cleaned their room, they paid heavy tip in advance to a support staff and got the room cleaned. The service of Mr. Azhar continued in similar manner for the breakfast. When I called my parents to wish them new year and ask them as to how was their new year's eve, they sounded really upset, they din't reveal me anything thereafter in the afternoon when they faced similar problem during the lunch, my father quietly called me and told me that the service is not up to the mark, I called up their Mumbai office and told them to look into the matter and requested them to provide decent service, the Mumbai office continuously requested Mr. Azhar and Shailesh to stop misbehaving with my parents and provide them with decent service, however their behaviour continued. When my parents returned Mumbai, they told me their entire experience and deeply hurt by the attitude of the Hotel Staff. My Parents requested me not to recommend this hotel to any one of our family or Friends, not even to any enemy. I wanted to take Legal Action against the Hotel but my Parents told me not to take any steps and to completely forget about their experience. Based on this Review pls decide whether you want to go to this Resort.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
20  Thank AdvSandeepB
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I had wanted to stay at a place where i could enjoy the magic of the monsoons and zeroed in on the resort by googling. The location of the property is excellent- along the backwaters of the Terekol river. But what made up in the location of the resort was taken away by the property itself. We stayed in the premium floating cottages which might have been actually good a few years back but now due to lack of attention, the furniture is damaged, bathroom walls patched up with plywood and the linen laid out was old and yellowing.
I also felt cheated since the option of using the swimming pool was provided when I booked the hotel, the same was not available. The reason as cited by the staff was that it was off-season.
The good part being that the restaurant is excellent and the chef dishes out simple dishes like upma quite differently.
Hope that the administration take care of the draw backs but until then it is adviced to stay here only during off-season because of the drawbacks mentioned above.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Asadanand
Reviewed June 7, 2011

First of all, whilst booking the room on the website, only Heritage Rooms (Higher cost) were seen to be available. Although, the rooms were bkd, upon reaching, it was noticed, that, all types of rooms were readily available and the staff were more then happy to accomodate us in normal category rooms (As they are biiger) - albeit without refunding the difference.

The Resort is good, location better, but, it misses the charm - one would expect in such a place.
Swimming pool not functional.
Only one restaurant functional
Restaurant menu was a Prized catch, as the stewards would not let us have it for our rooms. The dinner order has to be placed compulsorily at 7 pm (whilst the steward waits outside for the menu).
All in all , a good location and property, but, very badly and shabbily managed with the only intention of making a quick buck without conscience.
Knowing, that, it's a Vithal Kamath property, we do hope, that, Mr. Kamath is made aware of same and takes necessary steps to save this one.

Room Tip: Go for the normal rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank A_Born_traveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sawantwadi
Konkan Crown - Resort & Club
#13 of 14 in Mandrem
Ivon Guest House
Ivon Guest House
#3 of 6 in Pernem

Been to Lotus Backwater Resort Aronda? Share your experiences!