“Karnala Fort - Not Once, Not Twice, but Thrice”
Review of Karnala Fort

Karnala Fort
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Panvel
Reviewed February 7, 2013

First time I went up here I'd only been in the region a few days. I was shown here by a member of the family I was staying with. We made it an outing for myself, my friend Babu, and another younger kid. We had food and plenty of water. Due to my level of fitness I found it rather easy to do the climb up, but the others in the party had to stop quite often to rest, catch breath and drink. We set off quite late in the morning, about 10:45. It was about 1pm by the time we reached to actual Fort. The scenery was breath taking. Well worth the climb up. As it was just at the end of the rainy season, the climb through the jungle was very humid, but once we reached the ridge it was getting cooler, and it was a little misty in places, but nothing that posed a hazard. Upon reaching the summit and the Fort the climate was a lot cooler - more acceptable for myself but my friends were saying it was cold. Having explored, for what there is to explore, we sat down for lunch, which was heartily devoured. I must warn of the monkeys at this point. They are right little baskits. Even with us sat near our food they managed to sneak up and steal some. They even ran off into the jungle with the bag we carried the food in. Luckily our back pack with water and camera in was nearer to hand and they never got that. The climb/trek/walk down was equally enjoyable.

On my second visit to the Fort I went up alone. I set off earlier in the morning, and managed to beat the heat of the day. Once again, the jungle humidity was the worse part of the trek, but once on the ridge it was cooler.

My third visit, I again went alone. Carried only one bottle of water and no food. This visit was more of a beasting exercise session than the previous two visits. I wanted to see how quickly I could reach the top and then return. Total time was about 3 hours from start to finish, and that included resting at the top and admiring the scenery for about 45 minutes. A truley amazing experience. I'll most definately be going to the Fort again when I next visit my Indian family. :-)

4  Thank Jonny-Jeeps
There are newer reviews for Karnala Fort

Reviewed July 15, 2012

The View from the Top is breath-taking.... Just Awesome.. But, Beware the the trek is pretty Difficult & very risky (read dangerous) at some places... Not advisable for Kids & Over-weight Adults..
Climb from the foot to the Top takes roughly around 2 hours assuming u make several stops inbetween for taking snaps,food,etc. Carry Plenty of Food & Water as there is none either at top or at the foot...
Advisable to wear trekking shoes, appropriate clothes & carry a stick for climbing & descending..
Also keep track of the route u r travelling because while coming back u may take a wrong turn.
No Help is available if you are in trouble.

17  Thank CrazyPrince88
Reviewed April 20, 2012

This was a great half day climb. It took us about an hour of reasonable hiking to reach the ridge and ultimately the "thumb" where the fort is located. It is a steep climb in places. Bring plenty of water. I'm 77 kg/170 pounds, and drank about 2 liters of water. And I wished I had more. The trails are well traveled, and many people will go up without enough water. We ended up giving away some of our water to help other people.

The views from the top are awe inspiring. The tower itself has honey bee hives attached under the ledges, and large cisterns underneath.

11  Thank Gennaker
Reviewed January 31, 2012

The place actually is called Karnala bird sanctury. This place is apprx 68 Kms from Mumbai on Panvel - Alibagh route. The drive from mumbai is excellent and it will take an hr and 30 minutes from city to reach here. There is parking lot available and one can park cars here for a nominal cost. Entry to the park is not free... but i guess an entry ticket for Rs 50 per adult , Rs 20 per child is to be bought.
Karnala bird sanctuary: well you dont see any birds here.. but there are a few cages around and one can see few pigeons/Pea cocks etc. Those of you .. who are avid bird watchers ... you will get dissppointed as we couldnt spot any!
But the fun part is the trek upto the Karnala fort. One has to go through the bird century and trek is quite steep. We travelled with 3 yound kids ( 6 yrs to 9 years) and it took us apprx 2 hour to reach the top of the Karnala fort. The fort surrounds a small hill - called "thumb mountain" !. From the top of mountain one can see a lake close buy and Panvel city. A beautiful view!
Climb to the fort is quite steep and i could see quite a few people unable to make it to the top.
Important: Dont go wihout good walking shoes.
There is no eating place and NO drinking water is available enroute. So one must take at least one bottle per person when you go up.
dont start climbing after 1 pm as it will be quite dark (due to thick forest) as you come down.
Overall if you love trekking and wish to go on day trip from mumbai... this is an excellent attraction. A must go.

15  Thank askmore99
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Was thinking of visiting this fort for quite some time. Finally got a chance. Plan was made all of a sudden so there was no preparation done. We never thought the fort will be so difficult to climb. Also as it was just after the rainy season, the root to go on top is not that good. There are no steps as they are available in other forts. Or if there are any, they are washed away due to rains. This is the reason it makes it more difficult to move on. Also due to dense trees around the path, there is hardly any clue that we get regarding how far we reached and how much is still remaining.
It is good place to get yourself introduced to trekking, if you have not done one already. It is advisable to wear proper shoes, have a stick which can provide support to you while climbing and getting down. Take more than enough water along with you as there are no facilities on top. If you are carrying any food material, be aware of Monkeys. Though they are small in size, they become agressive for getting food. Otherwise there is no threat.
Have a nice day on this trek. All the best.

14  Thank UnmeshK