“brilliant”

Kielder Water Bird of Prey Centre
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Kielder
More attraction details
Owner description: Officially licensed Birds of Prey Centre set in the heart of beautiful Kielder Water and Forest Park, the only place in Britain with dark sky status.
Bradford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

very enjoyable afternoon feeding the birds and seeing all the tiny owls and other birds of prey would definitely go again

Visited September 2012

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“An Absolutely Fabulous Experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

My falconry experience was a present that I was really looking forward to and to be fair it far exceeded any of my expectations. The team who run the centre are all so friendly and you can see how much they all love the birds. On arrival at 11am I was introduced to Ray who was to deliver the experience. He was a joy to be with and his enthusiasm and love and respect for each of the birds under his care became apparent immediately. I was engrossed in the knowledge he had as I was taken around the birds. The course included how to use the falconry equipment , how to weigh the birds and why they need to be monitored daily. I have always admired the majesty of birds of prey but to be up close and personal with these beauties was fantastic. I fed three birds, Myrtle, a Harris Hawk and another bird but I was so excited I have forgotten the finer details.I got to stroke the little owls Tilly will go to sleep if you stroke her long enough.It was brilliant to see Ray and Steven training Katie the Kite. I was with Ray from 11 till 1pm and the time flew by it was so good. On the afternoon I was included in the flying demonstration which was superb. Conan the Harris Hawk, Finn the Ural Owl , Breeze the Barn Owl, the fabulously noisy Caracara Falcon all came to the glove. Ray made the demonstration so interactive with everyone who attended the display. Ray managed to include all the children who wanted to land a bird.Their faces were priceless when they did. We also went to the 2nd show which again was fantastic.Recommend you see both shows as different birds are flown in each display. I was allowed to bring Cora the Black Vulture to the glove which was great. All in all I spent the whole day grinning like the Cheshire Cat . Arwen the Black Kite was in the 2nd show and he was spectacular. What makes this a special place is the way the birds are loved and respected by Ray, Steven, the two Catherines , Jacqueline and Dave. The displays reflect this and I would recommend this Bird of prey Centre over any other. Please please don't miss out on coming here!!.

Visited August 2012
Glossop, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Absolutely Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Whilst out at Kielder for the day, we popped in to see the birds of prey. This was superb and then the demonstration started which was by far the best display I've seen. The staff are so very friendly and knowledgeable along with the willingness to get people involved. Everyone had a go with the birds and the pelicans were fantastic. Afterwards when we were chatting with the staff we got to stroke an owl and also feed a baby kestrel. We couldn't have asked for more if we'd have tried. I can't recommend this place enough - go there!!

Visited August 2012
England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Face to face with a hawk (or a vulture, or an owl, or an eagle)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Very friendly, very knowledgable, very hands on (stroke an owl) and very interactive (birds will land on your (gloved) hand). Everyone - especially the children - when we went were thoroughly entertained by the flying (twice a day in summer afternoon - go to both). .

Visited July 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience. You have to go....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I booked a halk walk as a suprise for my girlfriend. We arrived slightly early and were offereda brew and then left to wonder around looking at the birds of prey, amazing variety of birds and all immacualetly kept.

Our hawk walk consisted of a 90 minute walk in the forests with our very own Harris hawk called Lockie. Absolutley brilliant experience carrying Lockie, feeding him and learning all about their behaviours. Jonathan who took us was v v knowledgble and accomodating to our stupid questions.

We then spent time talking with Ray, Stephen and the other staff and watching the bird displays which we again got to have an active part in.

If you love nature/animals/birds of prey then the halk walk is an absolute must and is up there with any nature experience i have ever done (which is quite a few)

Ray the owner was also great and his passion for the birds was great to see.

Visited July 2012