“There's nothing ugly about this little Gem!!!”

The Ugly Duckling Country Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 48 Restaurants in Lydney
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I worked in and around Lydney many years ago, and today I found myself nearby again on business - as I had not been in the area for such a long time I called a friend who lives locally to ask if she could recommend a nice place for lunch - Thankfully she told us to try the 'Ugly Duckling'. I cannot praise this restaurant enough, lovely staff, nice atmosphere and my colleague and I could not get over the standard/quality of food, reasonably priced too and a nice glass of wine :0)
I will certainly be visiting again soon with my family and will be spreading the word about this perfect little place!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having lived in Lydney all my life this was our first visit on 03/01/13 as a treat after Christmas. I wish we had visited many times before. The quality of the food was excellent and good value at 12 pounds for two courses and 15 pound for three courses. Good choice on the menu that tempted us into the third course and we weren't disappointed. The waitress was knowledgable and attentive and the relaxing atmosphere provided the ingredients for a lovely evening. Wished we had een visiting for years and will definately be returning soon.
So good to have a decent restaurant in Lydney !

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Great food, lunch specials £12 for 2 courses. Staff very friendly. Varied menu, reasonable priced drinks.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Not a place for a quick snack, but for an enjoyable meal with friends. The staff are friendly, the service very good and the meal itself has always been very enjoyable. I would recommend the restaurant any time.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

As locals, we eat at the Ugly Duckling quite often. Generally we are surrounded by other locals enjoying themselves. There is usually a birthday party or something similar going on in the restaurant. The service is very good. The waitresses are friendly and helpful and well organised.
We start with the wine order, most of the bottles are between £13 and £20. Then savoury popcorn appears, to be followed by a homemade hot roll and local butter, delicious. Starters and mains are very well cooked and are very good value for money. We often skip dessert but they are also delicious if taken. The bill for two with wine usually comes out under £50. I have heard a complaint that there simply was not enough food on the plate but I cannot believe that this is a general complaint as the repeat business is very much part of the Ugly Duckling.