“the white house pillowell”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of The Whitehouse

The Whitehouse
View from front Living room; plenty of space, 2 large sofas, TV and DVD player, piano, doors to patio and garden
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
View from front
Well-equipped kitchen and adjacent breakfast area - doors to large dining-room/games room
Bedroom - this one has an en suite bathroom
Another of the 5 bedrooms
Games room/dining room
View from patio
Apple trees in garden
Lower garden
View of the cottage from one of the garden paths
Side garden area
BBQ on patio; there is a good selection of garden furniture
The forest
Nearby forest walk - the forest is reached in 2 minutes from a lane opposite the cottage
Puzzlewood (local beauty spot)
Walking back to cottage from Parkend
Wye valley - great walks,  kayaking and birdwatcing
Spring outside cottage
Late autumn near cottage
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 26 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Sightseer...
“the white house pillowell”
Reviewed May 4, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

the house was in great location and all the family enjoyed our weekend in the forest of dean. the house is a little tried and thread bear in places, but it had everything we want for our stay.

nichles20...
Reading, United Kingdom
“New years party”
Reviewed January 3, 2017 for a stay in December 2016

We had a fantastic time. there were 10 Adults We stayed over the New Year and found the accommodation warm , clan and spacious.We even managed to fit in a Murder Mystery evening, this was,for the group,the Ideal venue !.
Easy access to Monmouth and surrounding areas Good walk down to Local Pub , which was very good and serves good food, not such a enjoyable walk back up , about .75 mile all uphill.
Overall the 4 nights were great highly recommend for larger groups ideal location.

Jan 4, 2017
Delighted you had a good New Years' stay at The Whitehouse and thank you for your kind review!

Happy New Year,

Dan
hrmanners
plymouth
“Lovely house for a relaxing weekend in the Forest”
Reviewed November 29, 2016 for a stay in November 2016

We stayed in the Whitehouse as a group of 10 adults and 2 young children (< 6 months old) in November and we had a wonderful time. The house is very spacious with plenty of room for a large group and well situated to access the Forest of Dean for walks and other activities. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely come back - Dan was very attentive and always responded to email enquiries promptly. The house is a little dated in decor (as you can see in the photos), but that doesn't detract from what is a cosy and spacious house in a lovely setting.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
Your age range 25-34
InsyaA1
“Excellent for a family holiday”
Reviewed October 23, 2016 for a stay in April 2016

Great place to stay with children and family, very big, great value for money and a very homely feel, absolutely loved it and the owners are very helpful!

Traveling group: Extended Family
Oct 25, 2016
Dear Insya,

Thank you for your lovely review - much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Dan
SussexQue...
Hassocks, United Kingdom
“Refreshing”
Reviewed May 17, 2016 for a stay in April 2016

Such a wonderful time away with friends. 5 couples and 2 toddlers meet up for a group 30th birthday celebration and what a time it was. Stunning location with beautiful walks on our doorstep. So much space to spread out and no concern about suitability for our little ones. Everything you could need in the kitchen and the table tennis table brought hours of fun(as well as our attempts at the 80/90s classics on the piano!). Definitely recommend this property!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
lauren380
London, United Kingdom
“Beat expectations”
Reviewed March 29, 2016 for a stay in March 2016

From reading other reviews about this property I was very sceptical when turning up for our weekend away. We were a group of 12, 21 through to 30 year olds in search of somewhere for a reunion having all met previously in the states. This house provided the perfect setting. Yes, you can tell by the pictures that it isn't going to be the most modern property but that doesn't matter. It offers so much space that the 12 of us could easily spread out into smaller groups, not having to have all 12 in one room at the same time. The room with table tennis is an added bonus and lead to many competitive games. The kitchen/diner is very large and meant people could stand and chat to others whilst cooking. I thoroughly enjoyed the time at this house and the added entertainment of sheep trying to get through the gates added to the weekend. I can't comment much on the local surroundings as it was raining the entire weekend and we couldn't get out much but it was easy enough to work out where the nearest tesco's and local pub were! Great place for a relaxing weekend away!

Hehelol
Reading, United Kingdom
“Shabby without the chic”
Reviewed January 4, 2016 for a stay in December 2015

What an unbelievable disappointment this place was. I hardly know where to begin. It's not one glaring issue which makes this place in-my-opinion unfit for purpose, but a huge culmination of things which combine to create a very lacklustre experience indeed.

I stayed here with my parents and sister, the former of whom live in America and were visiting for a week over Christmas so we could get the family together for a change.

Upon arrival, a friendly-enough neighbour let us in and that was that. So we had a look around and went about finding the welcome pack, but failed in our search. I also went in search of internet/wifi to tell my other half (who was at her own parents') I had arrived, but failed in that too. None of us had any signal on our phones in Pillowell (apparently this is normal) so we drove to the nearest town and called the housekeeper, who confirmed there was no wifi or telephone.

I realise now that it does say at the very bottom of the description there is no wifi or telephone, but unfortunately we simply didn't see that bit otherwise we wouldn't have booked. I think especially in a place with so little signal, wifi and/or a telephone would be a real benefit, so I hope the owners consider this. We ended up driving 25 minutes to get signal twice a day and sitting in the car at the side of the road to check in with our loved ones.

An initial look around the house didn't improve things, and as the week progressed we kept finding more and more faults. There's a distinct difference between character/charm and dated/tired, and this falls firmly into the latter category. The first cupboard I opened in the kitchen - the door fell off (this kitchen was apparently overhauled October 2014 but there is little evidence to support this). There's mould around the kitchen sink, which itself is dirty. The wallpaper is peeling off in numerous places. The carpets are torn and disgustingly dirty. The ceilings are patchy, ripped and there are cobwebs. The vanity unit in the en-suite is in appalling condition. The downstairs smells musty and damp. The walls are empty and filthy. There are no working shaver sockets and many other regular sockets don't work at all. The bannister fell off. The oven knobs are worn so you can't understand what they do. The bathroom wall is covered in mould. The stereo is smashed to bits. The cloakroom radiator is covered in rust. The extractor fan doesn't have any filters in it.

I really could go on and on and on.

Individually, these problems probably do arise in other places and could be forgiven in their ones and twos but when there are as many issues as here they just combine to create an overall feeling of dirtiness and shoddiness which we all found very disappointing and at times, uncomfortable.

Reading other reviews, it seems other guests have also commented on the condition of the place but decided to rate it highly regardless, which I find rather contradictory. The owners (whom I assume are reading this) have said a number of times in various review replies that something will be done, but this is Dec 2015 and these promises were made a long time ago, and I can't see any evidence of anything being done. It feels like the house was inherited by someone in the 70's and hasn't been touched since.

It's with regret that I struggle to find a positive. The beds were quite well made and the house is a good size. I was happy to find some Pepsi in the fridge but even that tasted funny before I found out the use-by date was 18 months ago. It's nice to have things left for us, but I would expect the use-by dates to be checked for me. I don't expect to have 18 month old things in the fridge when I arrive.

I'm not being unnecessarily harsh - the above points are facts for which I have many photos (see attached). The whole place is just in a genuinely poor condition and in dire need of a refurb and deep clean. I'm not expecting 5 star luxury accommodation - I am realistic - but I'm also not expecting cupboard doors to be falling off and walls to be covered in mould especially when we paid as much as we did.

It just feels completely vacant of any love, care and attention. You could begin to forgive the poor condition if it had some charm and atmosphere but we all found it completely void of any.

If we hadn't paid so much, we'd have checked into a Travelodge after the first day.

Holidayers - please avoid.
Owners - please refurb.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The size, and the journey home
Liked least: The condition of the property
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Jan 10, 2016
We're very sorry that you appear to have had such a disappointing stay at The Whitehouse and that the accomodation did not conform to your expectations. We value all feedback, whether good or bad, and will be looking closely at the areas you found particularly problematic. We are currently embarking on a major refurbishment project. That said , I think we must be doing something right, as we have had nearly 250 sets of visitors over the past 5 years, and the feedback received from the vast majority of them - both formally and informally - has been extremely positive. Indeed, a number of our guests return year after year and speak highly of the spaciousness, homeliness, well-equipped kitchen, games room with table-tennis table, grand piano and beautiful surroundings. As you mention, it states quite clearly in the information provided, that there is currently no wifi at the cottage and that the phone signal in the area is patchy ( a consequence of local geography and provider coverage). We will be installing wifi in the vey near future. However, if these facilitiies are a particular priority for guests, then it makes sense to confirm this in advance for the avoidance of any doubt.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing