DeanGate Motel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$223
$157
Agoda.com
The Whitebrook(Whitebrook)
The Belfry Hotel(Littledean)
All reviewscontinental breakfastforest of deandisabled roombreakfast delivered to our roomsmall fridgecross keyslarge roomugly ducklingtea coffee making facilitiesfree upgradeyogurttwo nightslarge tescoroom was very clean and comfortableshower and toiletstayed here for one nightmakes an excellent base
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My self and My Daughter had to attend a funeral in the forest of dean .We satyed in the DeanGate Motel .We were welcomed by Mr Glanville and made Welcomed and checked in very quickly and our order was taken for breakfast.It was presented on time and was superb ..He fixed up the wi fi connection for me .an absolute GENTLEMAN . Due to the sad occasion we were not able to take in the various activities in the area. but I will return Soon .I highly reccomend this Motel.5 star

Room Tip: All the rooms are Good as its a motel So You have the Doors facing the front of the car park security barrier closes at 11pm and your room key opens it.There are rooms that you enter by reception area.there is one Suite upstairs.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank moola90
deangate1, Manager at DeanGate Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thankyou for your great review for DeanGate Motel. We look forward to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

This motel was one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed. The bed was massive and very comfortable. Good size room and more than adequate amount of food for breakfast. Would be nice if the breakfast was included in the room price instead of having to pay extra.

The owner was really friendly and informative. Would definatley recommend this place to stay for most people. However because the door leads right onto the outside I wouldn't have felt very comfortable if I was a female traveller on my own.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My wife and I booked this as a result of looking at TA. We needed somewhere close to the Forest of Dean for 1 night. If we were staying longer, we'd have looked for somewhere a bit more in the forest rather than on a main road, though the advantage of being in the town was availability of services. This establishment is very much a room, as there are no lounges, bars, etc, but the room was very comfortable.
On arrival, I was surprised to find that we were not in the Executive double that we had booked, but in a standard double (which was still just fine), but the owner wasn't able to give me any explanation as to why not, but I suspect they were overbooked.
Also, and this is a bit naughty, the room description shows continental breakfast, wi-fi, tea / coffee, etc, but apparently everything is included apart from the breakfast which is an additional £5 pp. It should be listed separately, if not included and I advised the owner to this effect, when I told him I'd be reviewing here. He refunded me £10 for the room over-charge, but not the £10 for the breakfast.
The breakfast was excellent, by the way, including filter coffee, OJ, toast with butter and jam, yoghurt, bananas, fresh fruit in a bowl & cereal.
The room had a decent sized double bed, flat screen tv, a very nice bathroom and was lovely and warm when we arrived.

Room Tip: Executive double has king bed and fridge and is larger.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
deangate1, Owner at DeanGate Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Many thanks for your excellent review of DeanGate. We have sorted out the prices for everything and we thank you for bringing that to my attention. We hope that you do find the opportunity to visit us (and the Forest of Dean) again in the near future

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We paid £210 for weekend stay in February 2012. Obviously and quite rightly the owner Granville is proud of the motel, the accommodation is lovely, and if you have no problems you will thoroughly enjoy your stay but beware the owner appears to take any comment, even those made out of concern as a personal slight.
We are laid back travellers, not given to make a fuss but Granville’s dismissive attitude took me aback when, out of concern, I mentioned to him that there was no hot water in room 1 sink, it had been luke warm at best (shower was OK) for over 36 hours. His comments led me to believe he was aware of the problem but just not mentioned it to us. We just boiled the kettle for hot water for shaving/washing for the entire stay. After the second night I (gingerly) asked if the shower gel was usually replenished (as we had to go buy some) and was informed that as there was half of one of those miniscule bottles left so they didn’t think we needed any and that was it.
We’ve travelled for many years and don’t pay much regard to reviews about water and toiletries and generally regard these as ‘get a life’ in fact this is the first ‘negative’ review as such I have felt bothered enough about to write. It was the dismissive almost arrogant attitude of Granville that we will remember from our stay in the Forest of Dean. These were a couple of trivial problems that a professional motel should have sorted in a second, job done, everyone happy, good customer service. On leaving he literally barged in the room at 10.30am as we were packing our cases in the car and switched off the table lamp. I wanted to tell him it was on because the ceiling ones wouldn’t switch on that morning but thought better of it! We just politely thanked him for our stay and left.

Room Tip: Check Room 1 has hot water. Take your own toiletries. Note bath towels are hand towels at best.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Krumblelover
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We received a genuine friendly welcome, the room was spotless and warm and when the snow started to fall we were given an extra heater in case we felt the need. We hadn't originally opted for the continental breakfast (which is delivered to the room) but so glad we changed our minds.
Granville is the perfect host and I would highly recommend this as a place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your excellent review of DeanGate. We hope that you do find the opportunity to visit us (and the Forest of Dean) again in the near future