“Bland food and indifferent service”
Review of The Woolaston Inn

The Woolaston Inn
The Woolaston Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Lydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Myself and three friends visited this restaurant last night having heard good thinks, we booked ahead as we were not sure how busy it might be. Need not have worried, when we arrived the huge car park was empty apart from one car.

On entering we were ignored by teh one member of staff at receoption ( a desk in the corridor) and when we finally did get his attention he spent ages checking the reservation list (which was visibly empty) looking for our name, which apparently had been lost. Anyhow, no bid deal, we were asked of we wanted to have drinks in the bar which we accepted. My wife asked what wine they had by the glass, none it would seem, only miniature bottles much like you would get on a plane. Even then there were only three to choose between.
So having 'poured' or drink we were immediately shown back into the (empty) restaurant – odd, and as one of my friends suggested, perhaps it was to save him the trouble of bringing the drinks to the table.

When the food arrived it was impossible to tell one dish from another, all four of us had ordered totally different sounding dishes, yet without exception all three had identical sauces. A kind of insipid blend of liquidated tomato and lentil. The only differentiation being the single sad looking chilli on mine.

The meat was simply bland boiled chicken lumps that had obviously just been chucked in at the end, they had no flavour whatsoever and the sauce just tasted like a third rate school curry, or worse. When the wine finally arrived (after the main course was served) the waiter dumper it on the table and walked off. No offer to try,and he did not even have the courtesy to unscrew the top. Perhaps because he knew it was undrinkable – it was literally disgusting.

At no time were we asked if everything was alright, we were totally ignored until we asked or the bill. You would think the fact 95% of the food was untouched would solicit concern, but no, he did not bat an eye. So we left the food, the wine and possibly one of my worst experiences I a very long time. We will never ever be going back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Chepstow C
There are newer reviews for The Woolaston Inn

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

We live in newport wales and just needed a one night stay while sightseeing in forest of dean .Honestly cannot find any fault with our stay we had a very pleasant comfortable time. The room was really nice , comfortable and very clean. Cooked breakfast was very nice and really nicely cooked with more tea than we could drink. Really nice friendly hosts.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank sixt7
Reviewed July 16, 2012

First went here on a Thursday night and it was fantastic - really good food and excellent service. Wnet again on Sunday just to ensure it wasn't a one off, and even better. Great food. Will now be my restaurant of choice for Indian & Ghurka food

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim1242
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Had a lovely night at the Woolaston Inn. The bed was large and comfy for a single room, and it was a very clean and spotless room. The breakfast was filling and well cooked, but the earliest I could've had it was 8:15am, which was a little later than I wanted to be out in the morning. The only reason I cannot give it five stars is the noise from the restaurant below. Although it didn't bother me, I feel other people may get annoyed by it. Otherwise perfect for the money and great location.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Claire P
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Had a recent overnight stay here. The accomodation was accurately priced for the room. The food was delicious, would definately recommend the restaurant. Loads of lovely tempting dishes on the menu that it was difficult to choose what to order - will have to make a return trip !
Very accomodating for children.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank noodledoodleLondon
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Fairly quite on a Tuesday night - just 2 other tables. Very uninviting from the outside, but once inside the decor and staff were welcoming. Good to see some Nepalese dishes on the menu and we edged towards these rather than the traditional Indian items on the menu. The food was really tasty and interesting. The Chicken Kathmandu was particularly interesting - a cross between an Indian style dish and a Chinese. The complimentary poppadums were a nice touch and the naans really were excellent. 2 courses, rice, naans and drinks came to just over the £40 mark - not bad value. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2012

visited here on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was not busy only one other party there (not surprising considering the day), I skipped the starter and went straight for the mains of chicken tikka, it came as you would expect on a hot skillet, it looked good but I found the the chicken quite dry and not much taste to it, it wasnt awful and I finished it but I have had a lot better elsewhere. The naan bread wasnt served as I expected, I went for the keema nan and it came in a pizza style with the meat served on top, as this is a gurka/nepalese restaurant I don't know if this is the normal way of serving it but it was very very good.

The service was first class though, this could have been because it wasn't busy but even so the two waiters who served were excellent, attentive without being overbearing.

Value was good, £35 for two main courses which included drinks, two naan bread

To sum it up bit of a mixed bag and I will try it again because the staff make me want to like it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lydney
The Speech House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lydney
The Royal Oak Whitecroft
The Royal Oak Whitecroft
#1 of 1 in Whitecroft

Been to The Woolaston Inn? Share your experiences!