“Excellent stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed her for one night, very friendly and helpful. Made you feel at home. The hotel is lovely and clean and the food was great.
The owners where very friendly.
Lovely place to stay and would go back

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dorothy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
tyne and wear
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Eskdale Hotel sits in the centre of Langholm and is easy to find.
The inclusion of a car park was quite important to me following our visit last year to another hotel in Langholm when it proved difficult to park the car.
We paid £79 for a double room with breakfast and arrived about 3pm. We pulled up outside whilst I went in to ask how to access the car park as could not see any sign posts. We were directed around the back of the hotel where there was a small car park. There were four cars parked there already and due to bad parking by a couple of them, we did think we would not be able to park our car. We managed eventually, although I had to climb over the passenger seat to get in and out as we had to park right up against a wall in order to squeeze in!
So although this hotel has a car park, it isn't big enough to accomodate all the guests should they all have cars and all it takes it one or two to not park considerately and the space is limited even more.

Parking stress over with, we checked in. After taking a few details and then issuing us with a room key we were asked what time we would like breakfast and told the last serving would be 9.30am and so we opted for that.
Our rooms were up on the first floor and we were given a key for the room and one for the front door which we advised would be locked later on that night.
I didn't notice any lift at this hotel, so if stairs are an issue then it could be a problem.

On entering our room, I was impressed by the little hallway we had, complete with large window, with a door leading off to the bathroom and another door leading into the bedroom. There was also another door, which I realised linked to another bedroom and so must be used as a family room at times.
The bedroom was small but big enough for our needs and spotlessly clean and warm enough. The only issue I had was there was a chair placed in front of the wardrobe which you had to drag out of the way to access the wardrobe, which was awkward as there was little room to move it to and so it just got in the way. By the end of our stay it was annoying me.
There was a small flatscreen TV but we could not get any reception. Langholm is a poor area for mobile signals etc and my mobile would only work outside, but I did expect the TV to work. We weren't bothered as weren't planning on watching any TV, but this could be an issue for some.
We also had some problems unlocking and locking the door when leaving the room as this was done via a button on the door knob and we struggled with this. It wouldn't lock with the key and there was an art to doing it with the button! We weren't the only ones struggling with this and I also struggled to get out of the room the next morning. It seems the key is only needed to access your room from outside. Once in and when you leave the room you use this button but it proved very difficult.

Niggles aside, there were some nice touches, such as an umberella in the wardrobe for guests to use, which came in handy as it was chucking it down! There was a kettle and cups and saucers in the room too with plenty tea/coffee/ hot chocolate sachets and a small packet of Highland Shortbread. In the bathroom there were complimentary Highland Aromatics toiletries to use, consisting of body wash, shampoo and soap.
Speaking of the bathroom, it was quite spacious with a powerful shower over the bath and was spotlessly clean with white fluffy towels. There was plenty of hot water throughout our stay.

There was a folder with guest information and it was possible to order room service with reasonably priced meals served to your room with a tray service of £3.
There were guests in the adjacent room and although I couldn't hear them when in our bedroom, if I was in the hallway or bathroom I could hear every word they were saying through the adjoining door.

As the hotel had a couple of bars and a restaurant we decided we would eat downstairs and have a couple of drinks before going to the gig and so we met our friend who had settled into another room along the corridor and set off downstairs. Despite our friend having booked a single room she was very happy to have been given a double room and paying the single room rate.

Apart from a couple of people sitting in one of the bar areas downstairs, we couldn't see any staff and so wandered off to find someone to find out about having a meal. A young male member of staff appeared and we asked about having a meal to which he replied they were fully booked. I pointed out we were guests at the hotel and was there nowhere we could eat, he just shrugged his shoulders and said people were having their Christmas nights out etc and they were booked up.
I was a little annoyed by this as had not been informed at check in and thought it odd that residents could not be guaranteed a meal in the hotel.
We decided to look elsewhere and if all else failed we would go back and order room service!

We ended up at the hotel we had stayed at last year, where we were were recognised and welcomed back and got a table no problem, so we were able to eat at last but still felt irked that we could not do this at the hotel we were staying at.

We slept well and the bed was very comfortable. The next morning we went down for breakfast at 9.30am which was served in the restaurant. There was a large table set out with various cereals croissants and jams. We helped ourselves to fruit juice from large jugs and sat down at a table. A woman appeared and asked if we wanted tea or coffee and would we like toast. The hot choices she pointed out were in dishes on a hot plate at the end of the large table and we were to help ourselves. There was sausage, bacon, grilled tomatoes, scrambled egg, mushrooms, black pudding and half slices of toast with fried eggs on top. We helped ourselves and my friend pointed out she was disappointed there were no baked beans which I had to agree with.

The breakfast was nice enough but I have had better if I am honest. I don't think you can beat a freshly cooked breakfast to order and the fact this had been sitting a while caused it to feel a little dry. The eggs especially were somewhat disappointing.
As we were finishing off the woman appeared to take our plates. They seemed in a hurry to clear away, so much so that she stood over the table waiting for me to finish eating my toast so she could take my plate!

Overall I had mixed views about the Eskdale hotel, I thought the overall breakfast experience was a bit of a let down and the fact we could not get a meal the evening before was very disappointing, especially as we had not been told about this on check in.
There are plenty areas to sit around in the hotel and the decor is clean and comfortable throughout.
The room itself was nice enough too apart from the chair being in the way, as was the bathroom and we spent a very comfortable night overall. Plus the fact there is a car park despite nearly not being able to park in it, was a bonus. I just felt that for the money paid, the breakfast and service could have been better and as guests we should have been able to get an evening meal at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeffjen
John G, Owner at Eskdale Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on the 14th December 2013.
I was disappointed to read that you experienced some problems during your stay, please accept our apologies, and please be assured that we will look into the points raised and work to ensure where possible we can resolve these as quickly as possible.
Thank you so much and we hope that your next stay with us at the Eskdale Hotel will be one which will be much more enjoyable, and that you may experience the comfort and quality of food and service we have become renowned for.
Should you wish to contact me personally please feel free to call me on the hotels main number.

Kind regards
John Galloway
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I were in Langholm for a show at the buccleuch centre and wanted something to eat. We have visited this hotel before to eat in similar circumstances but this time we deicided to look at the main menu.
My wife had broccoli and Stilton soup and I had smoked salmon to start and to follow pork cutlet supreme and Tornedos Rossini. Both dishes were hot tasty and well presented, veg. cooked just right.
We both had coffee and my wife had a whisky. Now my wife likes lemonade +++ but not ice. You have no idea how hard it is to get bar staff to understand this.
Not a problem here, the welcome was warm, the smiles lasted throughout the meal and the young chap even smiled at my humour.
We live an hour away so we are not going to be there often, but we will be in and out from time to time.
So if you are looking to find a decent meal you will not be disappointed and they serve the full menu at lunch in the dining room butnot the bar i am informed

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GRAHAM H
Arizona
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Such a comfortable hotel to spend a night in this lovely village of Langholm. It was a home away from home for us. It met our high standards for lodging with a comfortable bed, good lighting, clean room and modern bathroom. The hotel's food was excellent especially the fresh fish and a hearty breakfast was provided in the morning. The owners were helpful and attentive to our needs.

Room Tip: The bus from Carlisle stops very close to the Eskdale Hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SunPilgrim
sussex
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Having booked our first long weekends fishing trip to the borders we needed somewhere to stay that was central to the Langholm area. Having read the reviews of local establishments and those previously posted on trip adviser we decided to opt for the Eskdale Hotel as we were to understand it had recently undergone full refurbishment and was under new management. On arrival the front foyer was very welcoming and gave an instant feeling of a well run establishment. We were greeted by the very friendly managers/ owners, John & John who showed us to our rooms..The rooms were very pleasant, of good size and in excellent decor with good tea/ coffee making facilities but most of all, beds were comfortable and spotlessly clean. The public bar area to the front of the hotel was very pleasant as we're the staff and locals who made you feel welcome. Bar food was excellent, not only in quality and quantity but also in cost. The main restaurant was truly superb and gave the feeling of being in a very comfortable country hotel with excellent table service with a well balanced selection to the menu. The food was freshly cooked and truly delicious but above all, great value for money. Breakfast, which is also served in the main restaurant was brilliant and plentiful, meaning we could go off on our days fishing without the need for further food during the day, albeit with the offer for packed lunches if we so desired...If only the fishing could have been as excellent as our stay this would have been truly memorable.. Overall, an excellent place to stay, perfect for those visiting the borders or just passing through. Well done guys. Keep up the good work and we look forward to seeing you a little later next year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SussexBlackrat
Horsham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful, comfortable and welcoming visit at this hotel. Super location in a lovely village/town. Wish we could have stayed for longer. The hotel is in the centre of the town, close to a lovely tea room and riverside walk.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon R
Cowdenbeath, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We have been to this hotel on several occasions since it has been taken over by new management and would certainly recommend it if visiting Langholm. The hotel is well situated to all local amenities including the Buccleuch Centre which provides varied entertainment. The service is second to none. Staff provide excellent service. Food is delicious and fresh cooked. Rooms are very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Overall it is the perfect place to stay when visiting the Borders.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Jintycrossgates1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langholm
The Douglas Hotel
Days Inn Lockerbie Annandale Water
The Gables Hotel
The Gables Hotel
#1 of 5 in Gretna

Been to Eskdale Hotel? Share your experiences!