All reviews oxborough hall the pub coach house rooms national trust john lennon main building four poster sunday roast underfloor heating coaching inn open fire nt property main course fish pie lamb lovely location lovely meal
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We booked a table for 4 of us for Sunday lunch at 2:00 p.m. Inside the restaurant was rustic with different types of farmhouse chairs and tables.

Our table had a window seat for 2 and 2 chairs. The sun was shining brightly through the window. Fortunately there was a Roman blind which we could pull down. The room next door had a large and extremely rowdy group of people, with high pitched squealing laughter. Not conducive to a pleasant Sunday lunch out. It was more like a late night city drinking hole.

We waited an extremely long time for our starters, and even longer for our main courses. My husband ordered a pork and beef combo. When it came eventually he received roast beef, not pork and beef. We asked for horseradish but it tasted more like cream or creme fraiche.

The meals themselves were fine and the beef was delicious, but the wait was horrendous. We arrived at 1:50 and left at 15:50. We had 2 courses not 3!

When the bill came we had been overcharged for one of the drinks, which had to be corrected. Apparently there was a wedding party which had caused the hold up. They were grossly understaffed.

There’s obviously still a problem with flies in the restaurant. Several landed on our table. They’ve got a real issue with this. There was even a dead fly next to our table which must have been swatted earlier, having read on Trip Advisor about the fly swatters which had been provided for guests. Thankfully we weren’t given one of those. I can’t imagine anything worse,

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
CatkinP, Owner at The Bedingfeld Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear TravelBedforshire

An Interesting name (see above) for you when I see most of your reviews are Norfolk related.

Thank you for letting me know of your problems.

I was there last Sunday and very much in attendance. I did notice from the garden outside that the blind had been pulled down and I am sure fellow diners would not have minded - it seems lucky that the last straggly fly must have died on the table next to you and not on your's especially without a fly swatter. I think a fly swatter makes a huge difference of feeling some control not least to make a game of the situation.

The service that day was very stretched and the noise levels were very bubbly and rather loud with laughter all around. I thought the sunny afternoon after the refreshing rain shower, was just magical and especially as no flies at all outside. The terrace and garden were completely full of diners, so I can see very frustrating for you not to be outside where all the fun could be heard.

There was also a very happy party with the host celebrating his 70th birthday in the private oak and stone dining room, and everyone one all around was in a positive mood.

I was busy sorting the sunflowers I had picked from the nearby farmer's field and dotting them about in vases on the After the Antique stone mantelpieces/fireplaces.

We must have spoken. There were hardly any flies at all - hence the flowers were back on the menu (not to eat!)...but you know what I mean. I also keep an eye out for problems as we do try to keep things moving as fast as possible.

A mix up with the roasts is annoying but I am sure our staff sorted it and also the bill. It was one of our busiest - and happiest - Sundays ever. I am so sorry your corner was not so happy.

I have just read your interesting review about Oxburgh Hall explaining the extensive the renovation/repair works that is planned. They have also banned the usual visits to the very top of the tower (great views) because of zealous Health and Safety rules (after all these years with no problems?!} but fortunately no one can take away the magnificence and reach of the actual moat and gardens - also the intriguing history filled rooms with individual volunteers in each one bringing the past to life. Ah... yes, all the rooms are shut behind blinds to preserve the antiques - so no wonder you found it too bright in your corner with the window - a full view of the magnificent St John church we are fortunate to have on our doorstep as well.

Do come back again - it may be quieter in the Winter but then it will also be busy/crowded inside as no outside tables. I promise we will try our hardest to make you happy.

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

We had a rather good Sunday Roast here today. We were offered a table in a rather snug looking room inside but chose a table on the terrace out in the garden and late summer sunshine. We opted for one beef and one pork roast which were served swiftly. A very generous serving of veg (roasted carrot, braised red cabbage, courgette, leek, cauliflower gratin, perfect roast pots) with a huge Yorkshire pud and soft pink perfect beef. The pork was lovely, moist and tasty with crackling on the side. Well presented. Perfectly cooked. My only gripe was the pudding menu. Really uninspiring and not at all tempting. The coffee, however, was tremendous. Great coffee.
Cannot wait to return. The views in the garden of the NT property and old church ruins were delightful.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear mynonnaEly

Thank you for your fascinating feedback - positive and with some constructive pointers - the pudding menu which I am now all geared up to investigate further.

Ironically, today as the head chef was reading a ticket (instruction) come through the computer to the kitchen - he was thinking aloud and wondering why Sticky Toffee Pudding is the still top favourite?

Please do give us some suggestions. It may be again a question of trying to please everyone and hence sticking to the safe top favourites.

I didn't realise the coffee was that good. Brilliant.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,

Owner

Reviewed August 29, 2019

Having booked out the conservatory for my 40th, we all had a great time, and the food was lovely; I was looking forward to returning back to the Bedingfeld Arms some 10 months later.

However, I wish I had looked here first. I bought my mum here today for her birthday before heading off to Oxborough Hall, as we knew the food would be good. But the flies really spoiled what should have been a relaxing lunch. I couldn't bear to be in there for any longer that we had to be, and it was very distracting having to swat flies away from our meal every few seconds and eat with your arms over your food, despite being armed with fly swatters.

I cannot believe (having read the reply from the owner) that nothing further can be done. Mesh doors and window covers would be a start. When I mentioned the flies to both servers, they were completely nonchalant about it, as I said I wasn't leaving a tip because of the flies. In fact, the server was so disinterested, she then started speaking to a colleague rather than finish our conversation.

Quite frankly, it spoiled the occasion so much, I shouldn't have even paid full price.

The only answer I got was that it is the countryside and there is a nearby pig farm. Having spent a great deal of my life living in the countryside, I have never encountered this as a problem previously.

Out of the three tables in our section, we were the only ones with food, so maybe we bore the brunt of the flies, we thought of relocating outside, but with plates half-full of food, with no guarantee there would be any respite, it seemed pointless.

I really hope the situation in the kitchen isn't the same as the dining area as on reflection, I would be concerned about hygiene. I wouldn't advise visiting until winter.

Dear Willowtree27

I hear what you say and can reassure you that short of locking you inside a sealed room, the flies WERE (they have gone with the wet weather back, hooray!) - a frustration indeed to ALL of us including the staff (front and back) who were struggling with and doing the best that could be done in the circumstances for the Whole Summer.

Taking out your frustration on our staff when they have been through the effects of this the very strange climate related extreme topsy turvey climate conditions, is not kind or understanding.

I am naturally sorry for your disappointment though. I note you had an excellent 40th with us in our private dining room which we still Do Not Charge for and see you came back as all had gone so well before. Where was the review for that occasion? I just wonder, If it had rained, would that have been our fault as well?

I can reassure you our kitchen is new and modern. We have a 5 star hygiene rating.

There are happy free range pig farms all around us and last year we had a huge problem with wasps - and don't forget the extreme heat that caused havoc with the garden lawns - they would have all been below par. I think it was ladybirds the year before.

I hope you are doing your bit as well in fighting Climate change as it is not going to get any better sadly with the extreme weather conditions. If I spend any more money on further levels of sealing the place off from outside/Nature (instead of relying on a mix organised by the pest control company, of modern yet discrete zappers and my good old fashion fly swatters) then the increased costs passed on to customers might cause equal offence.

It is very hard to please everyone and I try hard to keep a balance. I do think you were rather mean not to tip the staff on this occasion as they would have tried their best and if they seemed offhand eventually, it says rather more about your previous manner than their's.

I am always pleased to have feedback and hope to welcome you back in winter, when I can relax and enjoy bringing my usual real flowers from the garden inside. It has felt very strange having only fake ones all this time! The real log fire is doing an excellent job of making the place warm and welcoming. Roll on the Winter!

Owner

Reviewed August 27, 2019

Good freshly made gazpacho. Good tasty fish pie (but with just a couple of sprigs of broccoli on the side). Good frangipane tart. We thought the portion sizes were modest for the prices charged. The big 'but'...... the flies! The owner handed out fly swatters to each table, a bit of fun perhaps but, if you read back through the reviews, customers have been complaining about the flies since last October. A more determined approach is needed.

Date of stay: August 2019
CatkinP, Owner at The Bedingfeld Arms, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2019

Dear G Camber B

Thank you for praising the Good food you were served. Food portions very much a subjective point so hard to please everyone.

The flies - I will not bore anyone further on the finer details other than to say the swatters are indeed very much the extra - everything possible (even banning real flowers inside) has been done.

It is a regional seasonal problem (only 3 swatters left today as people take them away and no wonder why!) which we all hope will go along with the weather - hot and humid mixed with farming practices and being Rural.

With best wishes

Reviewed August 27, 2019

Travelling to some parts of the UK can be challenging at the best of time, but when you find The Bedingfeld Arms, it makes your travelling so much worthwhile. This beautiful hotel in the heart of the rural part of West Norfolk is wonderful, the hotel dates back to 1783 and is located next to Oxburgh Hall. The hotel is very quaint with is character, charm and amazingly friendly staff, 'of course' is a term widely used by their amazing staff, really there is never a problem. The Bedingfeld Restaurant is very special, their tantalizing menu will have your memorized, the menu covers for all, including vegetarian and vegan options. What makes a great visit to a hotel, the staff, the staff created real moments of delight and joy, this hotel is a must if you are in the area, you simply will not be disappointed.

Room tip: The external rooms are very quite
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear cartier10

I am flattered and know the team will be thrilled to read your wonderful review with detailed observations. Most encouraging for others thinking of visiting us too!

I note that you are indeed a seasoned traveller so the compliments mean even more. Thank you.

Come back again - soon!

I would be interested in following your blog/travels as with only a glimpse, it all seems very tantalising.

Catkin