“warm and sincere welcome”

The Bedingfeld Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Oxborough B&B and Inns
Stotfold, United Kingdom
“warm and sincere welcome”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were drawn to this hotel / restaurant by a Groupon voucher and the good reviews on TripAdvisor - we were not disappointed. "Catkin" (owner) was at reception to greet guests and reappeared at several moments during our stay. We were staying in a coach room, which is not the best lvele they have, but it was more than sufficient for our needs. Dinner in the restaurant is to be recommended, and the breakfast is copious (even if the sausage and black pudding were overdone).
On top of all this welcome, Oxborough Hall is just over the road and makes for a delightful afternoon visit (excepting Thursdays and Fridays...).
Regular prices might have been at the top of our budget, but the Groupon voucher made it very affordable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

A very pleasant village inn with well appointed & comfortable rooms and nice bar area. There is also a large garden, when the weather is fine.The staff were always very helpful and attentive. The food was excellent, particularly the baked cod, if it is still listed on the menu it is well worth having.

Room Tip: The facilities vary quite a lot ask to have a look if possible. Overlooking the car park had its adv...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tim C
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Had heard good things about Bedingfield Arms from friends who also lived locally. Looking for somewhere different for a family occasion, we booked for 9 for Sunday lunch. Must admit we were disappointed considering what we had heard. 4 ordered the prawn starter - £7.45 only 3 prawns and a little sauce. I had the Hock of ham terrine, came with 2 tiny pieces of bread, so I asked for a little more to finish. To more pieces bread came - happy until later they added £5.90 to bill for these 2 pieces of bread. For main course, I asked if beef was rare - was told of course. On arrival beef was well done. Service was generally poor. Had to ask if we could order, then after seeing others eating who had arrived after us, asked if we could go to our table. Ordered wine, bottles just placed on table unscrewed. Not once asked if our food was satisfactory. Nephew was still hungry after start and main course, so he ordered cheese selection. 3 tiny pieces of cheese on board with a little garnish - £8.95. Come on, the 3 pieces didn't even cover 3 small biscuits. Nearly £300 bill for 9 - I don't mind this price but for this I require better service plus a decent sized serving. This is not '90's nouvelle cuisine but gastro pub food. Need to do better.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank DavidWootton
Barton-upon-Humber, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had an overnight stay at the Bedingfeld Arms in Oxborough. The welcome was warm and the Pub interior is different and interesting.
Our chalet was down the side of the Pub and had everything you would expect with a lovely comfortable bed, TV and en-suite. The only negative was a shower head that was faulty - it didn't spray and needed to be replaced (hence 4 stars not 5).
The village is really delightful with Oxborough Hall right across the road.
We arrived on a Sunday and they don't serve evening meals on Sundays.
Breakfast was a real treat with good fresh eggs, decent coffee and a wide choice.
We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Bedingfeld Arms.

Room Tip: The chalets are good.
Forster, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our six-night stay was every bit as good as we'd hoped it would be. We were warmly welcomed on our arrival and shown to our spacious and well-equipped room on the first floor – the “Green Room”. As visitors from “down under” we found the room very cold and were grateful when Stephen showed us where the heating controls were and turned them on.
Over the next five days we enjoyed the friendly service mentioned by so many other reviewers, and relished hearty breakfasts in the bar and appetising dinners in the restaurant. On one evening when the restaurant was not open, a dinner reservation was made for us at a nearby pub, “The Berney Arms” at Barton Bendish – and this was absolutely delicious.
Finally, it would be remiss of us not to record our thanks to every member of the management and staff for making our stay such a pleasurable one.
We highly recommend Bedingfeld Arms a good and very central base for exploring the beauties of Norfolk.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
norwich
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We arrived using a groupon voucher for two night stay . Weds thur Frid, welcome was warm and friendly, hotel is tastefully decorated and clean , breakfast and evening meal was just amazing . We had a twin room in the coach houses which we could park directly outside.

The morning of our departure my car wouldn't start as id left my lights on, Tori was on the case ringing round to find me a willing person to provide me with jump leads. Within 10 mins Felix arrived and got the car going. Above and beyond service , thank you all for a wonderful stay. Just a point if you want to visit hall , you need to check opening times as they were closed Thurs and Friday. Ickworth Hall, about 1 hour away is also definitely worth a visit

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
VenetianStar, Public Relations Manager at The Bedingfeld Arms, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you for your much needed uplifting review!
We also received your kind and thoughtful letter by post, thanking us for helping you with the jump leads - Well done, Tori and Felix...and the Team!

So comforting that we can please most of our wonderful guests - most of the time!
(thinking about the horrible, hurtful and puzzling review posted just before yours).

We would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to let us know how happy you are.

It is our wish to go the extra mile and to ensure we can do whatever we can to make your stay a good one - the best ever, ideally!

Also, brilliant that you have drawn attention to the bizarre opening times set by the National Trust - I think quite a few of us are contemplating starting a 'petition' in the sense of letting the National Trust know that there is a great demand for some kind of access on those key end of week days - perhaps to the garden only? These times are apparently to do with staggering the opening times with other regional National Trust properties - eg with Blickling which is open on Thursday and Friday.

I have ventured across the road - even last Thursday - with brochures for the nearby amazing 'Gooderstone Water Gardens' to console very disappointed drivers who have come a long way for a prized day out at Oxborough. The silver lining, I hope, might also be a meal or even a stay with us - at the Bedingfeld Arms!

Come on, National Trust - open your doors (or gardens) more. There is a growing demand...

Important to realise that Oxburgh Hall also arranges many amazing events such as Shakespeare's 'As You Like It '- this week on Thursday 20th June at 7.30 pm (picnic/gates open at 6pm - or early dinner at the Bedingfeld Arms!) and then 'Sherlock Holmes & The Hound of the Baskervilles' on 10th July.

This last weekend was a great success for Father's day - with the theme 'Boys and their Toys' - all sorts of model clubs - miniature trains, boats, aircraft and even amateur radio.

Such a magical combination, Oxburgh Hall and the surrounding Breckland - topped by basing yourself across the road, at Bedingfeld Arms - with welcoming log fire and friendly staff, not forgetting our 3 resident chefs preparing home favourites as well as creative treats!

West Acre Theatre & High Lodge, Thetford also offer a fabulous schedule of productions for the summer season - another way of organising/linking a unique, spoiling stay with us at the Bedingfeld Arms.

We look forward to you and your daughter returning again...and again, we hope!

Thank you, Again.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Daily Mail newspaper runs a regular feature called 'The Inspector Calls', in which a couple visits various hostelries incognito and subsequently write a report which is then published in the afore mentioned publication. The Bedingfeld Arms is one such establishment, receiving a (4 out of 5) review. As a consequence, we made a note to stay there the next time we were in Norfolk. This occurred on the 4th and 5th of this month (June). As good weather was forecast for the next few days we went online and booked direct with them, choosing the Bedingfeld Suite, their most expensive accommodation, for two night B&B. We received email confirmation stating the booking in time was from 11.00, which was useful as it meant we could utilise the afternoon for going out and about. We arrived at approximately 13.20. The lady who eventually served us informed us that "booking in time is 3 o'clock". I showed her my confirmation on my phone, the response, "they didn't tell me, well the rooms ready so you can book in!!! She then advised that breakfast was from 08.00 to 10.00, the latter time being time being welcome as it meant we would not have to set the alarm. Once in the bedroom I read the guest information which stated breakfast from 07.30 to 09.00 (or 09.30) can't remember which but it was earlier than 10.00. We also noticed the accommodation did not have a wardrobe, just a series of hangers attached to hooks on the walls. Back to reception where I pointed out that at my advanced age I have stayed in many hundreds of hotels and bed and breakfast accommodation and this was the first not having provision for hanging clothes, also no dresser, just a soppy little three draw wicker thing , the top draw of which was taken up by the hairdrier. The response to the breakfast timings was, if we wanted it earlier we could have it at 07.30, I pointed out that 10.00 was more of interest to which she said, 09.00, I said you said 10.00, she said, okay 10.00 then!! She would mention the matter of the wardrobe to the owner. Luckily, due to the fine weather we had taken our sports car which as limited luggage space and so were travelling light. if we were staying longer than two nights it would have been a real problem. We went out for the afternoon returning for dinner in the restaurant. In the bar my wife asked for a Bacardi only to be told they didn't have any, they had run out. "Okay, I'll have a sweeter rose wine such as a Zinfandel or Grenache, only to be told they only stocked Pinot Grigio, which is a dry wine. "Okay I'll have a vodka and diet lemonade. "No diet lemonade". We then sat down for dinner, my wife "I'll have the kidneys". Waitress, "they are not on the menu", "yes they are" says my wife. Waitress, "you have been given the wrong menu, that's the a la carte one, we are using the bar menu tonight". My wife had the ham, egg and chips (very good), I had the venison burger which was acceptable. We then retired the the lounge area for coffee and was approached and was asked if we were having breakfast, to which we said yes, only to be told we would have to pay an extra £9.50 each per day. I said we had paid for B&B, they said we had not. Luckily I had done this on my iPad which I retrieved from my room. This clearly showed: Bedingfeld Suite which included: tea/coffee, hairdryer, flat screen TV and BREAKFAST. They said did I tick the dropdown box for breakfast? I said, there wasn't one, neither was there for tea/coffee, hairdryer or flat screen TV.. When I demonstrated the online booking process, they reluctantly agreed "to honour the agreement". Next morning I went to have a shower, the cold water pressure was very good but the hot was barely a fast trickle, just enough to wet oneself, which I did covering my body in suds, when, you've guessed it, the hot ceased to flow, which meant I had to rinse off in freezing cold water. Breakfast, which remember had been valued at £9.50, consisted of full English, no alternatives (smoked salmon, kippers etc, the usual fare). Apart from the eggs which were very good, it all appeared to be precooked and then heated. The bacon ,which my wife informs me appears to be of the streaky variety, was like leather. That evening we had dinner, this time a la carte, I heard someone waxing lyrical about the cod and chips, so decided to opt for that, the fish was thin and covered in too much batter which was overcooked and so was hard. My wife had a chicken dish which was "very nice". For dessert we opted for honeycomb ice cream, "sorry, we've run out of that". Returned to our room to find the coffee had not been replenished, had to go to reception and ask for it. Next morning at breakfast, at which the bacon was more pliable, my wife asked for scrambled egg, bacon and baked beans, "sorry no beans". No spoons on the table for cereals, had to ask for one. At the end of our stay we spoke to Catkin, the owner, relating the above. She explained: the lack of wardrobe was a result of her son running a hotel in Morocco, where they hang their clothes on hangers on hooks on the wall. "it's great fun, especially when we have a wedding and all the lovely dresses are hanging up on show". She conceded that it was not practical and that her husband agreed there should be a wardrobe. Regarding the wine, she liked Pino Grigio and "did we think she should stock other types"? They had restocked with Bacardi on our second day. She apologised for the lack of hot water. The lack of baked beans was her fault as she did not like beans! In fairness, she was very nice and appeared to be taking onboard the critique. She explained the manageress was newly appointed. To summarise, it is the most dysfunctional business I have ever come across. it was not cheap and therefore it is not unreasonable to have high expectations which were sadly lacking, based on our experience, I could not recommend this establishment until they get their act together. I didn't bother to tell them the TV signal kept pixelating on BBC channels. I have delayed in writing this feedback as when I informed Catkin that I intended to submit this to Trip Advisor, she asked that I send her a copy first, stating that she would email me. No such email has been received, why am I not surprised!

3 Thank David W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxborough
The Great Danes Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Mundford
The Swan at Hilborough
The Swan at Hilborough
#1 of 1 in Hilborough

Been to The Bedingfeld Arms? Share your experiences!