“Having taken time to try and find special venue was let down...”
Review of The Cranford Inn

The Cranford Inn
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub set in a peaceful courtyard surrounded by North Devon countryside, serving an excellent range of local & regional ales, craft beer, spirits and wines. Our small but comprehensive menu offers a variety of classic pub dishes with a twist, "old school" bar baskets, and an ever changing specials board of modern cuisine. A friendly welcome awaits at The Cranford Inn. **PLEASE NOTE. Unfortunately we do not allow dogs inside
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My daughter was crowned the Torrington Carnival Queen and all the family were getting together from around the country to share the day with her. As this rarely happens we decided to go out for a special family Sunday Roast and I spent a while deciding on the venue and booked the table the week before. I choose the Cranford as we don't get to go out often for meals and as we had a few years before had a couple of exceptional meals here I felt in safe hands. As we had 9 of us and my husband and I were paying we wanted it to be special. So I am sad to say it was disappointing that from the beginning the experience was a let down. We arrived in two cars and as I came through the door I was told by my husband the card machine was not working and so he had to drive 3 miles to the local town to withdraw cash. I later found out that this issue had been the same the day before and not resolved. This is annoying and inconvenient.My children's grandmother wanted a glass of wine but they had run out of glasses so we had to take one from the tables....the service was slow and food trickled out so we all had to eat as it came to avoid it getting cold. The portions were stingy especially the meat and it was served on a plate so you got what you got. It was nothing to write home about and personally I wish I had cooked as mine was better. The desserts at £5 were all brought in and they ran out of the ones we wanted. The treacle pudding was cold when I got it. as we were paying and it was for my daughter I did not complain as it would have spoilt what was already a poor meal even further but I cant see any reason to go back in the future. Maybe the place has new owners but the difference from the previous experience was so far removed it was like north and south pole.

2  Thank DMVEAL

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great pub, good food, well kept ale and only a few steps from our accommodation at Cranford Cottages what more could you ask!!!
Richard, our host, and Greg the barman looked after us well and Norm cooked us some lovely food.
It was a pleasure to meet you all and wish you all luck in whatever you chose to do in the future. Cheers!!!! Rae & Toby

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Fab home cooked food, good beer & welcoming friendly staff & locals.
Beautiful old character building with beams & real fire

1  Thank concrete1Reading
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The Cranford over the last 10 years has had a lot of new managers in and the food has varied over this time from good to bad, however the new people are serving great food at a reasonable price, but for the last 2 visits having chosen what we were eating, was told that half of the menu was not available (mains) and then again with (deserts) but what we did get in the end was quality food that we all enjoyed and will keep supporting this lovely young couple that are giving it there best shot!! We wish them all the best for the future and will be seeing them again real soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I had a lovely meal on Valentines day. The food was nicely cooked and well presented. Staff were friendly, it's true that one member of staff was a bit inexperienced but this was not a problem for us, everyone has to learn sometime and what this member of staff lacked in experience he made up for in politeness and a charming personality. All in all we enjoyed our meal and found it excellent value for money.