“Caprice Restaurant at the Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Winnersh
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I tend to steer clear of restaurants in chain hotels but we were tempted by the excellent reviews in local newspapers. You have to try new venues. So we dined on a Friday evening. The restaurant layout is lovely, light and airy but not impersonal; really liked the decor. We were shown to our table. The lower part of the restaurant was quite busy as was the bar. The wine list is quite extensive and not too badly priced for this level of hotel. The selection of starters was excellent, making it quite difficult to choose. The mains selection was less so. I thought it was just me (ever the fussy wotsit) but my friend was having the same problem. We both had scallops to start. Quite small - only 3 which we felt was disappointing given the size and the price but oh, the taste of salt. It was as if there was a sea salt crust on the top. It was quite intense. We queried this with the waiter who said he would "check with the chef" - who knows if he did. He never made a comment to us. We should have sent them back (note to self - be more assertive!). They were expensive for what we had - shame really as the scallops were perfectly cooked just overly salty. Mains were duck. We were not asked how we wanted it cooked! On asking the waitress seemed surprised to find I wanted it pink (surely it is always pink for best flavour - anyway.) It arrived. Meat was lovely (still a bit too overdone for me), very tender and flavoursome. Good selection of veg and the sweet potatoes were excellent. Cheese board was good. Much better offering than the usual standard. Notes on the cheeses were at rear of menu. Good selection of ewe. sheep. cow and goat cheeses, soft and hard. Service mixed. Some waiteting staff better than others. Not sure I will go back. Shame.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Wendy119186363,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us.I am glad you like our restaurant. Please allow us to apologize for the inconvenience you may have had due to some aspects of our food selections. Kindly be assured that all your comments will be looked into and actions will be taken accordingly. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Again, we appreciate the feedback as this is crucial for us to improve the services that we offer.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,220)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

What can I say, just wow!

My wife had organised an afternoon lunch and use of the spa facilities using a travelzoo voucher. My initial impressions upon hearing 'holiday inn' and 'junction off the M4' were initially tepid - I was expecting a wholly average experience to be honest (especially having stayed at an underwhelming Holiday Inn before).

What we got was something quite brilliant.

Upon arrival we parked up in a secure, spacious car park and proceeded to the reception through an easy-to-get-to lift. The reception is literally just one minutes walk from your car all-in-all. The staff at the desk were very professsional and couteous - reminded me of my last stay in the Marriot. Uniforms were smart and clean and although the girl on the desk didn't present much of a personality, she did give us efficient directions to the restaurant and leisure suite and answered all my questions confidently.

We went to the leisure suite first and was greeted by a very courteous and well-presented gentleman who guided us to the changing rooms. After getting changed my wife and went straight to the pool. The pool area has a lovely atmosphere. Clean, quiet and the water was a perfect temperature - just cool enough so you need to kick your legs a bit to get warm. Perfect.

The swim was great. The pool is a nice size and the depth was fine for my wife who can't swim too well. I did a few lengths (nothing serious) and then went into the sauna with my wife. The sauna scored lots of browny points with me. I have lost count of the saunas I have been to previously where the temperature is not quite hot enough to cause a good sweat. That is so frustrating. Not with this one. The temperature was hot enough so after 15 minutes you really are ready to get out.

My wife and I got dressed and went to the restaurant for the second part of our afternoon. And what a restaurant! Tables were well presented and the atmosphere was pretty good. Just one small pointer though. This is obviously quite subjective but I found the background music a bit too somber and depressing for my liking. I was hoping for something a bit more uplifing. Maybe some gentle samba or ambient tones.

The food and the service though was top notch. Although we were 'only using a voucher' and therefore weren't high-brow big spenders, we were always treated first rate. The food was exceptional. I had fish cakes and spinach with prawn cocktail and some spide potatoes but it was all fresh and delicious. Compliments to the chef! The food was also delivered quickly and courteously. I was actually disappointed we couldn't leave a tip using the card machine as we had no cash and I felt the staff deserved a thank you.

Upon leaving we were again treated professionally at the desk and we then proceeded to make an effortless exit.

I will certainly be recommending this hotel to all of my friends and on facebook etc. My wife and I really appreciated the service and relaxing tone of the hotel and are already working out when we can come back to stay for a romantic evening at some point.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 563Stuart563
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This April I went to London for an week-long official trip. My office is at Wokingham, a small town,30 miles north-west of London. This hotel is located in between Wokingham and Reading. There is no place to go around the hotel but the biggest location benefit is that it is just 3 min walking distance from the nearby (Winnersh Triangle) railway station. You can go to London by train in 50 minutes from this place.
The newness of the hotel gives a great feeling. Though it is not a very new property but the maintenance is at it's best. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. They have a great gym, a good sized indoor pool, sauna and steam bath,all complementary.
The biggest surprise was when I saw 4 Bengali guys very efficiently managing the hotel services. Also I saw few more Indians who are among those friendly stuffs who are always ready to take care of their guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

A fabulous weekend was spent here! Excellent facilities, friendly staff, wonderful food and plenty of it, too!
We were a party of 4, and on the second day two of us had facials and the others full body massages, bliss.
Would recommend to all and will definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I didn't expect much of a Holiday Inn on a junction of the M4, but this hotel exceeded all expectations. Luxurious room with en-suite bathroom, and with fridge, flat-screen TV, ironing board, and internet access all available in the room.

Everything you would expect from the buffet breakfast. The restaurant, while expensive, would be hard to beat anywhere in Reading I would imagine.

Only slight down side is that internet access was £10 for 24 hours. Most hotels of comparable quality now offer it free to guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Mark R
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

We are delighted that you have discovered our hotel and in particular that we exceeded all your expectations.

Thank you very much for your lovely review and for recognising our luxurious accommodation and your enjoyment of the numerous modern amenities we provide our guests, We are also very pleased you enjoyed your buffet breakfast and the excellent food offering we provide in our 2AA rosette Caprice Restaurant which you correctly point out is the best in Reading !

We hope that now you have discovered our hotel we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Good hotel to stay in if you have business meetings in Winnersh. Lobby and rooms are attractive and clean. Breakfast is good. The Winnersh Triangle train station is a 2-minute walk away, across a footbridge, and then it's a 5-minute train ride into Reading. There you can find lots of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Highly Valued Guest

Thank you very much for your 5 star rating of our hotel on tripadvisor.

We are very appreciative of your recognition of our efforts in providing the finest new 4 Star hotel and conference facilities in the Reading area and we are particularly pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast offering so much and that you found our location adjacent to Winnersh Triangle station so convenient .

We hope you will have the opportunity to try our superb Esprit Fitness & Dermalogica Spa facilities on your next visit as we also offer superb weekend break packages should this be of interest.

We hope to have the pleasure of being of continued service to you

Kind regards

Reviewed April 24, 2013

First time visit to this new hotel nestled within a business park just next to the M4 at Winnersh, Reading. Whilst we did not stay at the hotel, it seems to be very popular as was busy, busy, busy. Parking excellent in a secure underground car park. A stay or restaurant meal will mean your parking is free.

We had a meal at the Caprice Restaurant which has a number of menu's to cater for all tastes. A special table d'hote menu to celebrate St George's Day as well as a la carte and a curry menu.

We chose the a la carte and had a really excellent menu, finished off with a selection of artisan cheeses. All of which were extremely tasty.

A little detour off the motorway is worth it to experience this new hotel and it's excellent restaurant. Friendly and efficient staff made the experience even better.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest

We are very pleased that you found your first visit to our hotel such a pleasurable experience and we thank you very much for your particular appreciation of the excellent food and artisan cheeses we offer in our 2 AA rosette Caprice Restaurant. We also offer superb authentic Indian food in our Monty's Lounge Bar which is definitely recommended for your next visit.

Your wonderful commendation of the efforts of our staff is also very much appreciated and has been shared with the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Winnersh
Best Western Plus Reading Moat House Hotel
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Hilton Reading
Hilton Reading
#2 of 31 in Reading

Been to Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10? Share your experiences!