“Fantastic value”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Winnersh
Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
“Fantastic value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a Saturday night and paid £49 for a twin room (no breakfast) free parking.
Reception staff were friendly and helpful, we accessed our room half hour early.
The room is modern and well equipped, great shower but the bath a little high making it a slightly unnerving getting in and out (I'm only 5ft 2"). £4:30 for a half of magners is steep but comes with the territory I understand. The room has a fridge and I had my own stash so crisis averted. My only complaint is .... The really low budget toilet roll! 1 ply modern day izal (I suspect) it took me back to my schooldays! Seriously?? A 4 star hotel, this needs to be discussed at the highest level! I liked that you had to use your key card to enter the hotel at night and to activate the lift.
Top marks, I would definitely stay in this and indeed other Holiday Inns after this experience.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Derby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice business hotel, stylish decor, reasonable food, why do Holiday Inn insist on furnishing all rooms with plastic mattress covers? I always end up remaking the bed, usually after a client diiner when over tired.
Most business guests do not wet the bed. And if Holiday Inn guests do I don't want to stay there.

Room Tip: Find a hotel without plastic mattress covers
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your repeat custom at our hotel.

I apologise that you do not like our mattress protectors which are very high quality fabric protectors with a fine layer of waterproof protection designed to save the mattresses from unfortunate coffee and red wine spillages which would otherwise destroy the mattresses were it not for the very important protectors as I am sure you will appreciate.

We appreciate your recognition of our stylish interior design as a new AA 4 Star Merit property and the quality of our food .

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have just spent 2 nights at the Holiday Inn in Winnersh. Room was very spacious and clean, all of the staff I had dealings with were very helpful and friendly. Stayed for my niece's wedding. Use of the pool was an added bonus. Would recommend to any body.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was rather happy to see that this hotel offers spacious and clean rooms. The breaksfast was excellent and bar/restaurant was pretty good too. The service could be a little better and staff could be frendlier, but otherwise - if you are doing business in this area, I certainly recommend you to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: I suppose all rooms are almost equally good, so there is no need to choose anything special.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest

We are very pleased that you have discovered our hotel and that you found our standards of cleanliness and the quality of our new 4 star hotel so much to your liking. We thank you for commending our extensive breakfast offering so much and for also recognising the excellent quality of our freshly prepared 2 AA rosette food.

We hope you will have the opportunity to try our wonderful Esprit Fitness and Spa on your next visit

Best wishes
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The food in this Holiday inn is just amazing, was there for a week for work, ate at the Caprice restaurant almost every day, apart from breakfast, every meal was different, and the food was just delicious, really exceeds my expectation. The hotel in general was very nice, the room is quite spacious, and it has all the facilities (though I did not check out the gym or pool)..... However, one down side is I found the reception staff wasn't as helpful or friendly to be honest... don't think they really care about the guests much..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jane C
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Highly Valued Guest

We are very appreciative of your wonderful review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10.

We are particularly pleased that you enjoyed the 2 AA rosette menu in our Caprice Restaurant so much ! We also offer an authentic Indian menu in our Monty's Lounge Bar to ensure all our guests have a great variety of quality meals to choose from.

Your constructive feedback concerning the welcome of our reception team has been discussed with them.

We thank you for your positive feedback concerning our spacious new accommodation and we highly recommend you try our fabulous Esprit Leisure & Dermalogica Spa on your next visit to Reading as they are definitely the finest in the area.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a goodly number of times as I work for a large corporation in Reading. Despite the fact that I had been staying there a minimum of 1-2 nights per week for a couple of months, they have never bothered to 'recognise' me as a regular, and while reception are generally fairly helpful, they just love to tell you about 'the rules'. Last year I broke my leg and ended up in hospital - I cancelled the room I had booked, unfortunately my corporate travel agent didn't pass on the cancellation before their 4pm 'deadline' - so they simply charged my credit card £113. When I phoned to explain what had happened, the receptionist was most sympathetic, but the reservations manager I spoke to responded with, essentially, 'tough, those are the rules'. Spoke to my manager at work and they said they'd just cover it. Sooo, at the point I was unhappy but understood that the room was cancelled after 4pm so they did have a right to charge my credit card.
However, a very similar thing happened AGAIN just a couple of months later - due to appalling weather I was advised to leave Reading and not to stay over. I phoned to try and change my booking to the next week - NOT to cancel, I might emphasise - but was told no way, and that they would charge my card regardless. I was told to phone again in the morning to speak to the reservations manager. So I did - it took 4 tries to get hold of this person - and was told in no uncertain terms that he did not care in the least that I simply wanted to change the booking and was happy to come and stay with them on a different night - I would be charged full price. Now, once again I ended up furious after having 'the rules' quoted to me repeatedly. Bearing in mind that I spend approximately £1500 per month in hotels, mainly in Reading, I would have thought a little flexibility might be granted - but clearly not.
The building is lovely, and the rooms are spotlessly clean. However, the bed isn't particularly comfortable (very hard, so great if you have a bad back I suppose), and the rooms are often very cold. The aircon doesn't significantly warm the room, and when I phoned down to reception I was perplexed to be told that 24 degrees was the maximum setting 'for environmental reasons'. It was winter. I am a lone guest. I am *really* chilly. I begged for perhaps a room heater for a few hours. Reception was apologetic but said they don't have such things. REALLY.
Also, while there are LOTS of lights in the room, they are all far too dim. Even if you switch everything on you have got no chance of doing your hair and makeup easily. Not even in the bathroom. Just one decent bright light in the bathroom would make the room so much better.
Breakfast - the food is great in my opinion and I must say the chef is very cheery - what a contrast to the woman who is supposed to 'greet' people coming into the restaurant! "room number please" and a scowl is about as good as it gets. I have stayed here upwards of 20 nights and it never changed.
WiFi - this is a business hotel, it should be free. There is NO excuse whatsoever. Let me compare this to the Crowne Plaza, Reading, owned also by the IHG group. Completely free WiFi and always a reasonably good speed too. Have never had a problem with the signal in any room. Holiday Inn on the other hand would like to charge you £10 for access and by the way that's only for ONE device. Time and again I've had to point out to reception that my corporate room rate includes WiFi, and time and again I saw the charge appearing on the bill. Reception have never given me a problem taking the charge off, but why should I have to complain every single time? It's exhausting and stressful.
I notice that the management do seem to enjoy responding to TripAdvisor reviews mainly by telling the guest that they are in the wrong (although I have no sympathy at all for the American guests who were charged a fine for smoking in their rooms, for goodness' sake), I very much expect to be told I am also 'in the wrong'. Sometimes the customer isn't always right, but it really is the bottom of the barrel when the management themselves are convinced every customer is in the wrong.
Actually, I have spent every single night in Reading over at the Crowne Plaza or at the Moat House ever since. They're both great hotels with warm welcomes and great food, similar prices. Just added it up and Holiday Inn have lost about £3600 in business from me, so far...so book somewhere else, and save yourself the hassle and expense. I did offer them every opportunity of putting things right - multiple phone calls as well as advising them of issues at the time, but they simply are not interested in anything other than quoting the rules at you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ms_Travelalot
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Ms_Travelalot,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our valued guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the problems that you had experienced during your stay with us especially with the level of service received from our staff and policies encountered. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people and department where great attention will be paid to the matter.

Thank you again for the feedback, The necessary steps can be taken to ensure our guests are happy with their accommodations at our establishment. We hope to have the chance to serve you better again in near future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We went as a family for Mothers Day lunch. The hotel had been highly recommended and we were not disappointed. The atmosphere as soon as you enter the hotel is warm and welcoming. Staff are friendly and cannot do enough for you. Monty's bar was very classy and it was really nice to see a live pianist to add to the day as well. It is nice to see a hotel that still provides quality live music to suit all. The food was of the highest standard and caters for all. My daughter chose her food from the menu whilst we all had the set menu. I have not tasted food as good as this for a long time and the staff could not be more helpful. I highly recommend this hotel for both couples and families and we will be returning in the near future without doubt. Thanks for a memorable Mothers Day. Julie

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Highly Valued Guest

We are delighted that you have discovered our hotel and we thank you so much for sharing your positive experience via Tripadvisor. It is always truly rewarding when guests enjoy their visit to our hotel so much, particularly on a special day like Mother's Day. We are also pleased you found the music of our talented resident pianist so much to your liking.

We recommend you try our fabulous Afternoon Teas or Spa Breaks on your next visit to the area.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winnersh
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,733 reviews
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow
Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading

Been to Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10? Share your experiences!