“Swimming & Special Mothers Day Afternoon Tea”

Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Winnersh
Hampshire UK
“Swimming & Special Mothers Day Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went on a Thursday for a pre mothers Day treat with my Wife, Daughter, Son In Law and 1 year old Grandson.
A swim was the first order of the afternoon and we were met by staff who worked in the swimming pool & gym area where they allowed me to sit in a comfortable chair (disabled) and that allowed me to take pictures of my little grandson. After watching all that exertion I was ready for my High tea. We were shown to our table by friendly but unobtrusive staff and a high chair for Grandson was made ready.
This is my first time for High Tea and we were not dissapointed a selections of tea, sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, strawberry jam and cakes oh yes and a glass of Champagne.
Staff during tea were very good and again not obtrusive.
After enjoying our High Tea we were told to present our Car Park tickets at reception where they would be validated and without charge for using the Car Park.
Its always a pleasure to go somewhere and be able to praise the staff.
I would recommend this Holiday Inn for its Swimming Pool & Afternoon Tea. 5 Stars for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike M
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Highly Valued Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience following your visit to our hotel .

We thank you particularly for your recognition of the efforts of our lovely team. We are also delighted that you enjoyed your Indulgent Afternoon Tea and all the delicious surprises that our pastry chef provided for you.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our hotel in the very near future

Best wishes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I actually spent a night at the hotel whilst I travelled to watch England V France at Twickenham. The price was excellent (room only), and within walking distance (few hundred yards to the train station offering 2 trains per hour into London). Not a place to visit if you want choice of shops/restaurants in walking distance. Very clean, modern decor, excellent rooms. All in all impressed and would stay again in the future if Im heading to Twickenham or Royal Ascot. Service was prompt, efficient and attentive and every request was fulfilled without delay.

• Stayed February 2013
Mossley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel many times over a six month period in 2012 and on every single occasion I can't fault any aspect of the service. The rooms are absolutely immaculate and full with every feature a business traveller could possibly want. The rooms aren't huge and there's no bath, only a shower, but that doesn't bother me. The beds are reasonably comfortable, but not enough to stop me having a difficult first night's sleep (something I suffer from, not a fault of the hotel). The air conditioning is usually effective, but on very warm evenings you have to choose between the noise of the air-con or a stuffy room.

I only ever had room service for evening meals. It was always delivered quickly, it was always hot and they were good sized portions. Unfortunately, the quality was very variable; the curries are good, as are the salads, but the burgers were always overcooked and a bit greasy.

It's a bit too corporate for my tastes and if I was paying for it, I'd rule it out as too expensive. But it does have a lot going for it, not least the fact it takes a minute to walk from the hotel to the office!

Room Tip: All rooms are as good as each other!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Milano
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is on M4 close to TVP in Reading. It's new with a good Gym nice swimming pool and quite a good resturant. Very good for people travellng for business.
I used it several time and at the beginning I was not sure being not in the city but at the end Reading is only 15 min by taxi (and 10 £) and the quality of the rooms and food conviced me to use it again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

We are very pleased that you have discovered our hotel and we thank you for your repeat custom.

As you correctly state in addition to be very conveniently located within 1 mile of the M4 Jct 10 , we are also a mere 3 miles from Reading town centre. You may also find the adjacent train station very convenient as we are a mere 2 stops [ 6 minutes] from Reading central.

We thank you for your commendation of our excellent 19m indoor swimming pool and the high quality of our 2 AA Restaurant.

We very much value your custom and look forward to continuing to be of good service to you

Kind regards
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Perfect in every way. Room, service, overall decor, facilities, fitness centre and food.

Will without a doubt be booking to stay here again.

I normally hold back from giving five stars as no place is perfect but on this occassion I can honestly say there was NOT one fault!!!!!
So a truly well deserved 5 stars.

Anyone that gives less is either very overly fussy or they unfortunately had a one off. But I would find it very hard to believe and will make sure I right a review for every time I stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

As usual whenever we stay here it is brill. Our reasons for staying lately haven't been the happiest but the staff have great empathy and thoughtfulness of a family run small hotel. They always recognise and welcome us and it is nice to see the same faces not a mass changeover of staff.
The beds could be more comfy but then again I'm quite fussy.
Nothing is ever too much trouble for anyone and how they keep their cool with very rude customers is above and beyond. They don't deserve it. X

• Stayed January 2013
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Valued Repeat Guest

Your appreciation of the efforts of our very special team are sincerely appreciated and highly motivational for them.

We are most grateful for your custom and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future

Kind regards
East of England
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My work has now moved me from Newcastle to Winnersh, just outside of Reading, and given that I travel by public transport to work, I needed a hotel which was reasonably near to my office location. The Holiday Inn was recommended as the hotel is on the door step of my offices, so I have been staying there for 3 days a week for the past month.

First of all, access via Public Transport is very easy. Trains run from Reading and London on a frequent basis, to Winnersh Triangle station, and the hotel is approximately 5 minutes walk from the station. The main route is to walk over the pedestrian bridge, but be warned, there are a lot of steps and its hard work. The other route probably takes a few minutes longer, but you avoid the bridge - so it's up to you.

There is pretty much nothing in the local area, except for a coffee shop and WH Smiths shops near the hotel. There is a cinema within 20mins walk, as is a Sainsbury's supermarket, but they cannot be termed "local" to the hotel. If you have a car, no problem, but when you are on foot, it's a bit of a pain!

The reception is a very standard hotel affair, with large reception desks, restaurant/bar off to the right of reception, and to the left the stairs and lifts. I found the reception staff to be very friendly,and my check in was very smooth and simple. I was provided a key card for access to the room, and given directions.

The lifts are modern in design, clean and well kept, except what I didn't realise on my first attempt to get to my room, was that you must use your room key card to activate the lift! As I didn't know this, the lift just sat there until I worked it out!!!! Other than that, the lifts were fast and quiet and they soon got me to my 4th floor room.

The key card worked first time in the lock to my room, which is always good, and has continued to be the case. Open the door, slot the key into the obligatory power slot, and the lights come on. In my (standard) room, there is a compact bathroom leading to a fairly spacious bedroom with double bed, wall mounted TV, small desk and a chair in the corner. The room also has a small fridge (which is empty, but that is handy for me if I buy food from the local supermarket and want to keep it cool), tea and coffee point, and a laptop compatible safe.

Decor is fresh, clean and modern and the bedding is of reasonable quality, as are the curtains and other furnishings. The desk, although a little small, does have two power sockets, an ethernet cable and a desk lamp. The hotel does have wifi, and I have used this occasionally, and it works fine (as it has from a number of different rooms). The rate I have for my room includes the wifi, but for 24 hours it costs approximately £10. As it seems to work reasonably well, I think that cost is not too high.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean, consisted of a low level WC, small hand sink, a surprisingly large bath (I am 6ft 3 and I can fit into the bath), with a wall mounted shower. Plenty of towels were available, and they generally were soft and clean (and not smelly like some hotels). A complimentary set of toiletries are provided, which were fine!

I am not a fan of a shower over a bath, since I took a heavy tumble in a bath when I was staying in a hotel in Blackpool, so I am now always wary of doing the same in similar setups. The bath is reasonably grippy, and there is a hand hold on the wall, which is good to see. The shower was reasonably powerful, but not overly, and the water was reasonably hot. Nothing terrible, nothing that will ruin your stay, but I have used better showers in the past.

Overall, the bathroom is of a good standard and didn't get steamed up, which is novel these days!!!

The bed was comfortable, and it was nice to see a selection of both soft and firm pillows. I had a reasonably night's sleep, and I have no complaints on the quality of the bed.

One small point and this may not cause any issue to you, but the room does purport to have airconditioning, but for me, the unit when set to it's lowest setting of 18 degrees, was just blowing warm air into the room. When I complained about this, I was told there was a fault with the system. The staff recommended opening the window vent in the room, which I did, and then to open the window and leave the bathroom door open. This I did and it made the room cooler, but at the expense of lots of noise from the street below, and a howling wind whistling through the room. This made it difficult to get a restful night's sleep. This is likely a non-issue for most people, but for me, who prefers a cold room, it is a problem.

Breakfast in the morning was in the main restaurant/bar area, and it consists of a number of dinning tables which are of a good height to sit at. Chairs are comfortable, and the facilities are generally of a high standard. The cooked breakfast was also of good quality.

I wish they had porridge on the menu though!

Check out was smooth and fast and the bill was provided!

All in all, this is a good comfortable and well maintained hotel. Yes, it's a bit corporate in feel, but then it is in an area that is mainly office worker based, but it's a reasonable hotel.

I recommend the hotel to anyone who needs to stay in the area!

Room Tip: Executive rooms are better appointed (but more expensive). Rooms facing the back of the hotel are q...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Long Stay Guest

We really appreciate your taking the time to provide such an extensive review on our hotel and in particular for recognising all the wonderful features and extras that we offer our guests.

We are particularly pleased to note that the reception team are taking such good care of you and that you find our cleanliness and standards to such a high standard which is very rewarding for our team.

Whilst I appreciate not having a car may be slightly inconvenient if you want to visit the nearby supermarkets, our direct access to the Winnersh Triangle station means we are only 6 minutes to Reading central station for all your shopping or other requirements.

I am very pleased by your appreciation of our special anti mist heating in the mirros to the bathroom .

Thank you also for your recognition of the very good quality full English breakfast we offer. Kidnly note that we do indeed provide porridge on request within the rate, as this is one of the a la carte offerings that are provided to order to ensure freshness and quality .

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the very near future and thank you again for your lovely lengthy review
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winnersh
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Best Western Plus Reading Moat House Hotel
Hilton Reading
Hilton Reading
#3 of 31 in Reading
Travelodge Winnersh Triangle
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow

Been to Holiday Inn Reading - M4, Jct 10? Share your experiences!