“Bio Bay”

New York City, New York
“Bio Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was amazing!
Go for the earlier trip so you can appreciate the views of the bay and the mangrove channels. Picture yourself kayaking in a bayou like setting.
If you take the late trip, picture yourself kayaking with your eyes closed.

There are food vendors at the starting & end point (same place) - make sure you get yourself some quesitos... delicious!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Oscar P

4 attraction reviews
“Bio Bay is a must see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I honestly hate kayaking and didnt want to do this but it was a part of a package I purchased at my hotel. My friend and I went during the first outing (they have two outings one at 6:30 and one at 8:30) I would HIGHLY recommend going in the first group because it is so beautiful. It is a real chore to paddle all the way to the bio bay so make sure you are in a kayak with someone who has some upper body strength... my friend and I have absolutely none. Lucky for us one of the tour guides (Nathan) was paddling by, saw we were having serious trouble and helped us. We had three people fall over during our trip to the bay I think mainly because they didnt listen to the directions. Please remember folks if you are going to be in a kayak DO NOT lean to the left or the right to avoid low hanging tree limbs that is how each of the people feel in the water. I was able to bring my camera (not water proof) and get some nice shots but be very careful because accidents do happen and you can fall in the water. When you get into the bay the glowing experience is beautiful and the entire area is gorgeous especially when the sun is going down (which is why I do not recommend going at 8:30). You learn why the bay "glows" and a few interesting facts about your surroundings, you may even see a few fish or stingrays jumping around in the water. I probably would have given this review 3 stars out of 5 but Nathan made me change my mind. Some of the tour guides (Nathan included) are great eye candy but they are also very helpful. Oh yea if you do not like to kayak there is a boat that goes in the bay so you do not have to row which is most likely what I will do next time. Because it does take about an hour each way (going to the bay and coming back to shore).

Visited May 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Like Pirates of the Caribbean, but real!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was skeptical about kayaking through a mangrove in the pitch dark with about 150 other tourists to view the bioluminescent waters of the nature reserve's lagoon, but Las Tortugas Eco-Kayaking made it work! Nature reserve rules allow each of 5-6 separate companies to take 30 kayakers each (Las Tortugas is one of them) through the mangrove to the lagoon after dark. The companies have worked out a system where each attaches a dayglo plastic ring to your life jacket so you can avoid bumping into one another in the dark. "Jake," our Las Tortugas guide, had a wonderfully booming voice, reassuring manner, and was extremely knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and humorous! So were the rest of the Las Tortugas staff. I am a global traveller who is pretty jaded about tourist attractions, but I truly enjoyed this. It was fun, unique, and relaxing to glide slowly through the mangrove at night, winding up in a moonlit lagoon where we learned a bit about the organisms that light up when you splash the water with your oar while also taking in the Puerto Rican shoreline at night. Memorable! The only limitation is that you can only order tickets through a hotel chain, and not directly from Las Tortugas on their website.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank MUNTH
Orlando, FL
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Disapppointing all the way around, but still glad we did it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

The guide seemed very knowledgeable to start but once we got to where we were going, he seemed to run away since there were no bio luminescence anything to be seen, right after he told us there were 1,000,000 organisms per liter of water. Well, nature is nature, but do you think for close to $100 per person he might have told us why we just got there soaked and a little scared trough the mangroves? And WHY there was absolutely nothing to see that particular night? And why did the the booking agent not tell us to bring a towel, as were soaked in our shorts for the hour plus bus right back home. Anyway, there is a better way to treat intelligent people that are looking to pay to do something interesting and this was not the way. We did however find it a little fun though since the ride through the mangroves was out of a horror movie in the dark. So we chalked our money and the experience up to something new and different but nothing due to the reason we went in the first place.
And lastly there was no availability to even buy a snack, they gave us a bottle of water but then allowed some giggly couple to run down the street and order food from a restaurant while the rest of us 15 people sat in the bus like idiots at the landing site freezing and hungry and downright miserably wet, waiting while contemplating the money we spent having not seen what we came to see. The giggly couple were rude, BUT the bus driver should have left them to find their own way back or at least told us 15 polite freezing customers that we should join the giggly couple at the restaurant if we were hungry, don't you think?
The bathroom facilities were those in a public park, somewhat clean but not all working and no toilet paper, so again, do you think that for all that money they could have offered us paper towels. NOPE not that either.

Visited January 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great overall experience with Las Tortugas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Instead of booking ahead since it was Thanksgiving day (we couldn't contact any offices for any tour group since they were closed due to holiday), we showed up to the area and started asking some of the tour companies if they had available kayaks. Some were already booked, some were 50+ dollars, and some just looked questionable. Las Tortugas (I think the fellow's name was Jake that greeted us) said they only had 2 spots left (I figured it was a marketing scheme---say you only have 2 spots left when we, conveniently, only needed 2 spots---but it was legit, they were booked solid except for one kayak!), provided bug spray prior to the trip, gave us a cash discount, and had water/chips available after the trip.

Important side note: EVEN though the moon was fairly bright, the experience was still well worth the cost. I was super disappointed when we headed out towards the bay and the moon was out, but not to worry, we could still see the bioluminescence very clearly (if you gently move your hand/paddle, it will be pretty faint--have to really aggitate the little dinoflagellates to get them to shine bright lol).

All in all-highly suggested. Its not super intense, but lets be realistic. It isn't a walk in a park. There are bugs, there are fish, its wet. If you're coming from mainland USA, the area where you meet and get in the kayaks is sketchy and the bathrooms are less than adequate. Its an adventure. Live it up and expect that with 20 other people in kayaks that likely aren't experts that you're going to get bumped into. The experience is well worth it, and Las Tortugas did a great job.

Visited November 2012