“If you love privacy and friendliness, this is the place!”

Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kewarra Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Kewarra Beach resort is amazingly private and lovely. The resort is tucked away in a suburban neighborhood outside the city of Cains. Since it's about a 20 minute car ride (50 minute bus ride) from Cains, you have to plan how you will go about. But make no mistake, this is an absolutely amazing resort to stay at. A couple great features:

1. The beach is all yours: It's seriously private and quiet when my wife and I went in July and it was so pristine and quiet. If you go up to Palm Cove, it gets a little busier. If you are looking for super quiet and relaxing, Kewarra is where it is at.

2. Friendly staff: I love how they know your first names immediately and remember them. We struck up so many good conversations with the staff. Heather, Damien, Peter, and others all made the stay so inviting. We spent time talking with Damien who knows 8 languages, Heather who lived in the area for 20 years, and Peter who was just super friendly.

3. Lovely bungalows: We got the Pipi and it was fantastic and literally a minute walk out to the beach. Just wonderful.

4. Great food: The food is on the pricey side (but everything is pricey in Australia), but the quality is really good. If you aren't in the mood to eat at the resort, the next best thing is Kewarra Village Take Out where they have the best steak and fish burgers and chips. A long 30 minute walk there, but just a lovely walk through the neighborhood.

5. Fun animals: What other resort will you find the possibility of crocodiles, bats, monitor lizards, frogs, and other exotic birds. I'm saying this as a very positive thing, so don't be frightened away. I didn't see "George" the monitor lizard, but I did see some amazing little butterflies, kookaburas, and little odd creatures around.

6. Really lovely arrangements: The staff at Kewarra can help you plan your entire trip out. We stayed for 8 days and came in with zero plans. We knew we wanted to go to the reef, Daintree rainforest, and Kuranda. So Heather, one of the receptionist, spent a good deal of time helping us out. She also made the AMAZING suggestion to go to Paranello Park and helped us with the rental car arrangements. For the more adventurous, I highly RECOMMEND renting a car and driving up and down Highway 1 for some fantastic views. The staff again are super friendly and patiently help you plan when you don't have an idea what to do.

The only tough part about the resort again is that it is NOT near Cairns. You have to make the trek out there by bus or car (both of which we did). That might turn some people off, especially if you want to look for good restaurants in the city. But I think it's a big plus to be far away.

So yes, book with Kewarra Resort. We were not disappointed and it was the highlight of our trip.

Room Tip: Call and negotiate for a better rate. You don't have to do the packages and can figure all this...
4  Thank Jason Y
Write a ReviewReviews (1,157)

Reviewed July 31, 2012

First location on a three week trip to eastern Australia. We had just flown from London to Cairns - left Tuesday night and arrived in Kewarra Beach at lunchtime on Thursday. We received an exceptionally warm greeting by staff, and offered a welcome cocktail.

The accommodation is individual lodge buildings around various man-made water features. Each is reasonably secluded so you can't see your neighbours. The lodges were extremely clean and very well appointed - flat screen TVs, AC and wifi.

The resort is literally seconds away from an amazing beach. They have a number of activities on the beach area, and serve food there during the day.

Breakfast was amazing each day, and we had lunch there one day which was also fantastic. The social areas around main reception were extremely comfortable and very relaxing.

Staff were a real highlight - very friendly and willing to help. Extremely knowledgeable about the local area and offered us advice on a number of things.

The resort is about 20minutes north of Cairns, which is close enough to allow you to use Cairns for various activities, while having the super relaxing experience at Kewarra. While in Cairns we took a boat trip out to an island in the Barrier Reef - really amazing day spent out there.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The resort is reasonably spread out to offer privacy for all, as a result it's a little walk to...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

As much as you want. Or, as little as you want. My wife and I spent 3 nights there after a 7 day scuba adventure on the Great Barrier Reef. We were looking for our land legs and some relaxation. We were not disappointed.

Pick Up. The resort arranged for our pick up in Cairns. Right away we felt special.
Check In: Smooth like a hot knife through butter. Neil greeted us and handled our luggage while Heather did a great job of checking us in. With a huge smile. The front desk folks (Heather and Jane) were terrific. Once we checked in, Heather fetched us a refreshing drink and we basked in the very zen like lobby sofas. Then, Neil greeted us and walked us to our beach front villa.

Room. Simply perfect with all the amenities. A comfortable room far enough removed from the ocean that it was quiet but close enough we could see it. We were in Room 8. If I were to take another, I would choose between 4 through 8. The walk is insignificant and those appeared to be the best. I cannot comment on the "tropical" rooms. We did take a walk around the grounds and they seemed nice. As far as housekeeping goes, they were completely invisible.

Beach. Amazing. Don't expect crystal clear waters but the beach has a world class view and feel. The chairs were very comfortable and there was absolutely no sense of feeling crowded. I am not sure of the occupancy at that time, but for me, it was perfect.

Food and beverage. The beach "shack" is fun. What a great way to have a Blue Sky Pilsner or a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. And food was great. Friday night is home made wood burning stove pizza night outdoors. Don't miss it.

The interior restaurant was good. Food was pricey but worth it. There were some great specials and the wine list is very reasonable with a varied selection. Let's put it this way, you could go out and eat somewhere else, however, I doubt you'd find much better and the ambiance at Kewarra not to mention the great service is hard to beat. I hope I got this right, but the food and beverage manager (Ryan?) did a great job. Don't hesitate to take the breakfast included package. If you can't find something in this breakfast buffet...well...nm.

Concierge. The front desk served as concierge as well. We asked for a trip to the Daintree Rainforest and it was handled lickety-split (that means fast). No fuss...no muss.

Overall. Loved it. I have not read others and we are from Canada. It was just great R&R. I just wish it was closer!

Room Tip: If you are staying in a beach front, choose between 4 through 8. 9 is the end (but not that bad)
2  Thank AMorneau
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had 5 Nights at this location, with every night being better than the night before, we had a romantic dinner on the beach that was fantastic, with personal service (Thanks Eva), a day on the outer reef organised by the resort and a couples massage, everything was perfect, and the reception staff (Heather) were always helpful with local information, in fact all of the staff at this resort were extremely friendly and helpful.
I have no problem recommending this resort to family and friends. We would definitely return to this wonderful location.
Thank you Kewarra Beach Resort and Spa for making our Honeymoon a memorial experience.

Mark and Sally

1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed July 29, 2012

wonderful resort just out of cairns
food ,accommodation,lovely beach couldnt fault a thing
had a great time would highly recommend kewarra beach resort and spa
for a quiet relaxing break . we hired a car and really it was a waste of money as kewarra can organize transfers and bus trips to any of the attractions they have to offer .

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank julie a
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My mom, sister and I spent three nights at Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa, in July 2012. The resort is absolutely gorgeous and the staff are some of the nicest people I've ever met throughout my many travels.

During our stay, we were in a beachfront bungalow. I would highly recommend selecting this time of room. It was gorgeous.

The only negative feedback I have is:
- Although the food at the restaurant was delicious, it was fairly expensive.
- The water at the beach was not nice at all. It was almost brown coloured. Perhaps just the weather they had been having though.

I would also recommend booking any spa treatments ahead of time, as the spa is not open everyday, thus we were unable to book anything.

Overall, would definitely recommend, based on the beautiful surroundings, staff and facility itself.

Room Tip: Definitely go with the beach bungalows, as they're closest to the water.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2012

14 of us visited Kewarra for four days of celebration for my husbands 60th birthday! On 22nd July 2012. We were simply bowled over by the beauty of this hidden Gem! Thank you to all the staff, from Neal our gentleman cart driver/ come everything, Heather on the desk for her amazing patience, Carolynne for organising, Eva, challenged, but succeeding at the bar & Roan who pulled it, & us all together, you're the best!
The cabins, lovely, very secluded. The green of the rainforest, the magnificent beach with it's broad stretches of white sand and most specifically the Beach Bar where we enjoyed some great Pizza on Friday night dancing off any calories with the friendly DJ on the beach. I'm sure the
whole population of Kewarra were there, all friendly locals.
The Golf ball shaped mud cake that I ordered tasted & looked wonderful, top points to the cake
artist. Great innovative food & a fine wine list, plus lovely wait staff! What more could anyone
want. But wait.. The boy's, well, it was all about the Golf!! Paradise Palms Golf course was
Pronounced to be a magnificent course! High praise! The Spa, my Bali Style massage was the best I've ever had! She was such a lovely lady, very talented!

Room Tip: We were in Bahinia cabin number 69, we thought it was the pick! Take your own hairdryer if you are f...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
#6 of 8 in Palm Cove
Paradise Palms
Paradise Palms
#2 of 2 in Kewarra Beach

Been to Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!