“What an amazing place to visit!”
Review of Long Ji One Hotel

Long Ji One Hotel
Ranked #2 of 62 Hotels in Longsheng County
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We had an amazing stay at Longji One. Superb location with totally amazing views. The beds, by Chinese standards were not bad. Free Wi-fi in the rooms. We did not have hot water as there was something wrong with the system whilst we were there, but as we were only staying one night we just had bird baths with a face washer.
The family living here is lovely! Four generations living under the one roof! The great grandma (I forget her name now) was beautiful, always smiling, and even though she spoke no english, a bit of translation from her family and we were in no shortage of laughs. Their little baby boy was gorgeous too!
The food from the restaurant was amazing, and really cheap too! However the breakfast was average, but then again, I never really enjoyed any of my breakfasts in China...
I travelled with my mother (49) and my grandparents (79 and 82) and everyone enjoyed their stay. It is a fair walk up to guest house, but there are women who will carry your luggage (about 20yuan per bag from memory) and if you are tired, injured or elderly, or just lazy, there are men that will carry you up in a chariot style chair (about 100-150yuan per direction).

I would definitely recommend this guest house to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JustinP3
There are newer reviews for Long Ji One Hotel

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This family run guest house (guest house a better description than hotel) in a traditional wooden house. Members of four generations of the family all gave me a warm welcome and made me feel really at home. Spring, the young woman who mainly deals with foreign guests, speaks English well and was able to give me lots of good advice about what to see in and around Ping an. She also helpfully set me up with her English-speaking friend as a guide for a day walking in the hills (very enjoyable hiking, but it would be easy to get lost without a guide).

The hotel is located on the edge of the village, which can get very busy with day-trippers during the daytime, but is more peaceful in the evening. Borrow a torch if you explore the village by night, because it's quite dark and easy to get lost again!

The views from the hotel over the rice terraces and the village are marvellous. The breakfast was great and Chinese home cooking was on offer in the evening. I wish I'd stayed longer...

Room Tip: ask for a view out over the rice terraces
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Had a wonderful couple of days (one night) here......the views were fantastic and we were very lucky with the weather. The hotel was exactly as the website photos depict and I found it very adequate for the area. The family was very accommodating and helpful. We ate here and found the food to be adequate as well. We were fortunate to have a top floor room on the corner - couldn't ask for better views... We paid 30 rmb for our one bag of luggage to be brought up the hill and had our our guide with us (Amy - linfengamy2004@yahoo.com.cn). She had organized our transport to and from the village as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Nice place to stay. The view over the rice fields are grand. The staff was very friendly and made you feel at home. Spring is very energetic woman and speaks good English. Longji One's decoration has a very personal, creative touch.
A disadvantage is certainly that one can hear a lot through the walls, and of course will be heard. The toilets have a tendency to clog up (but that is not uncommon in China).
We had dinner there and that was not a good choice since the food is not very good.
I do wish we would have planned to stay a few nights, there would have been many hikes available, which unfortunately we did not consider enough when we planned our trip.
Ping An Village has a lot of construction going on, which I think will not really work for its advantage on the long run. It looks like guest houses and other tourist places are springing up and that does not help the scenery and the feel of of nice quaint place.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We unfortunately had to cancel our trip to China but had had extensive email communication with Spring about our then upcoming stay. She was patient with my questions and was willing to make all the transportation arrangements for us. And despite canceling on her with short notice, she was gracious and accommodating and wished us well. I find that that kind of service and kindess goes a long was and speaks volumes of the type of stay one will have. I will definitely rebook with her when we get our travels in order!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mahana P
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at Longji One with my partner, 70-yr old father and younger sister in April 2012. The gust house is beautifully decorated and well-appointed - probably the best in the area. We thought it was very quaint and artist with good rooms and wonderful views.

However, we didn't enjoy our stay one bit. The guest house is wooden, so you hear EVERYTHING. We had a room next to the stairs so everyone coming up or down sounded like they were a herd of elephants coming into the room - my sister had a room on the top floor and said it was better, but it still kept her up at night as well.

The common areas are LOUD - bad acoustics meant that we were shouting to talk to each other over dinner - and there were only two other families there having dinner with us. The noise from the common areas also drifts upstairs so you can't even escape and go to your room. This became very frustrating and was giving all four of us headaches so we left to go to another guest house lounge for the evening.

Spring, the owner is super-sweet and tried to be helpful, but unfortunately, the Chinese way is just 'loud'. She and her family that run the guest house shout at each other from room to room CONSTANTLY (from kitchen to front desk to outside to their living quarters upstairs) and when we mentioned the noise, her response was to just turn off the TV (which helped somewhat but wasn't the cause of our headaches.) Spring's daughter is adorable, but if you aren't used to a 1-yr old and their toys clanging away all night until 10 pm in the common areas (you know the fisher price music makers with all the buttons that repeatedly play annoying tunes) then this place is definitely not for you.

The guest house also welcomes young children and there were two other kids under 5 staying at the inn while we were there. While we are normally fine with kids around, they screeched and ran up and down the stairs outside our room in the evening and as early as 7:00am so there was definitely no lay-in for us.

Finally, my partner had a bit of tummy-trouble while we were there (not caused by this guest-house) but it meant that the toilet was in constant use. Our toilet made a loud screeching noise every time you flushed. Not only did the poor acoustics of the place mean that everyone on our floor knew about my partners tummy troubles, but every flush meant we were woken by what sounded like a long car horn honking.

On top of that, the sounds and smells from the kitchen waft into your room from about 7:15am onwards (even with the window shut.) If you love the smell of oil frying first thing in the morning, then you'll have no trouble here - but with our dodgy tummies, it was repulsive.

Needless to say, my partner and I both got less than 3 hours sleep between the noisy kids, the loud kitchen & it's smells, and the shouting chinese conversations. Dad and sis did slightly better, but not much.

We had really high hopes for this inn, and Spring and her family are very kind. But the acoustics really did put a huge damper on our stay. It was stressful, sleepless, tiring, and not enjoyable at all.

If you do choose to stay here, bring earplugs, request a room on the top floor, don't stay near the stairs, over the common areas, or near the kitchen.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs, request a room on the top floor, don't stay near the stairs, over the common are...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mchiovetti
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Definitely the place to stay for the views. Pingan is very congested, and the other hotels appeared to be cornered in by so much other development around them. Longji One is one of the exceptions, as it is perched at the edge of a small promontory and hence has unimpeded views. Lovely views from the restaurant/bar area as well.

Whilst the staff are very friendly, they were not always around whenever I wanted to order food and beer (it was probably because it was the low season and I may have been one of the very few guests around at the time), and so had to nip out for my meals.

Don't miss the 4-5 hour walk to Dazhai, spend a night there, and visit the #1,2 & 3 scenic sites.

Room Tip: The corner rooms give you a full 180 degree view of the rice terraces. I had the double bed room on...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo