See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 18, 2011

The water in the room was hot and the beds were clean. Hannah was extremely helpful getting us to the hotel when our driver got lost.

Food from the kitchen was generally tasty and served in a big open area downstairs. It gets really loud with tour groups. I imagine the rooms can get loud too since the walls seemed thin.

But you aren't here for a hotel. You want to hike the terraces and see the views. It's great for that.

The yao women are fun, and only gently pushy about buying stuff. My daughters liked bargaining with them.

I wish we had stayed another night. Tian Tou zhai was memorable.

There's a lot more information on our travel blog about our day at the rice terraces if you are interested.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank CreekmoreWorld
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Heard pinan was the placeto be, but as a photographry lover, this is the place to be. Easy walk to view points. Kind, lovely staff. Who cares ifthey are trying to sell u somthing? I just say bu yao. Over and over andthey leave. If that was ur only means of making money, woulsnt u too be aggressive? These old ladies carred my 45lb bag for Christs sake up a largs steep mountain non stop! The family there is so nice and the food is good enough. They were so very genuine and i trusted their right doings. Was sad to leave. one lady even showed me her very very long hair! Wow! The beds a little uncomortable, dont leave winows open. U may get a guest in ur room at night....insect!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank mberry31
Reviewed March 10, 2011

The people running this hostel are very friendly, helpful and very real. I felt very much at home, being treated like a family member more than a customer. I had hotpot together with the family every night, and the organic vegetables and wild mushrooms from their farm does wonders to my appetite.

The location of the guest house is perfect for trekking to all the viewpoints, as it is right where the signs are ie. crossroad to all the viewpoints.

Hannah can provide instructions over the phone and email, in English, on how to reach the carpark at the foot of the hill, and also arrange for someone to meet you.

During my stay, temperature dropped to 0 degree celsius, but the air conditioning in the room more than compensated for it. Comes with western toilets, not the squatting type in other hostels. Wifi is also available free of charge in your room.

However, warm water can be warmer, and beds are a tad hard by western standard, just like other hostels in YangShuo.

Hannah is probably the only English speaker up in the hills. I do not recall anyone else even attempting to speak English during my travel in the hills.

This is also the perfect place to practise speaking in Chinese, with Hannah to help in translation if need be.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank whyh
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Amazing value and breathtaking location. The hotel is extremely basic (although it does have free wireless!) as you would expect, but what sets this place apart is hostess Hannah - she speaks good English, is extremely helpful, and basically makes you feel like you're being taken care of all the time. We only booked 2 nights and ended up staying 4 instead - and when we left we wanted to take Hannah with us :)

As for the review below which marked this hotel down for the pushy local women trying to sell stuff - I think that's unfair. These women are everywhere in the Rice Terraces and certainly not unique to this hotel. I do agree they're a bit much though....the constant battles to get rid of them really gets you down after a while.

Anyway, if you're planning in staying in the Rice Terraces, look no further than JinTian.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Estrata
Reviewed October 26, 2010

If you want a good location to tour from, this is it. Hannah runs a very tight ship. It is a 30 min walk from the Dazhai bus drop off. Her hotel serves the best food in Tian Toa village as other travelers ended up walking here to eat.
The locals are very friendly and add to the photo opps. Sit on the porch and the everyday mountain life will pass on the main trail 10 feet in front of you.
Be aware that the walls in these all wood "hotels" are plywood thin

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple