“Sticky hands, confusing”

Zeerovers
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Savaneta
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Zeerovers is a local bar and restaurant situated on the waterfront in the fishermen's town of Savaneta. Here we serve fresh fried fish and shrimps with side orders of fried plantain, french fries, pan bati(local version of cornbread), onions in vinegar and tartarsauce. Everything is served to you in a basket as you sit on the dock overlooking the water as fishermen bring in their catch which in fact could have been your meal if you came a few hours later. That said, this is not a place for fancy dining but rather a place where you are welcomed to kick back,relax and get your hands dirty.
Reviewed May 16, 2014

When we pulled up a tour bus pulled in and we thought we were in for a LONG wait. Don't worry the tour bus is just there for a visit they aren't eating there. I almost left to find somewhere else instead we rushed in and sat right down, plenty of seating available. We picked a seat against the deck.

Waited, waited, waited, someone wiped our table and left. We waited some more. I finally asked for assistance and was told I needed to order from the window that I had walked past when entering. Pay by weight? How much fish and shrimp do you want? How would I know what fish and shrimp weight? So we order 2 pieces of fish and a handful of shrimp, some fries, and tartar sauce, it's all weighed together in a basket. (in other words fries and tartar cost the same as fish and shrimp) We are given a piece of wood with a number on it. No, we can't get drinks here we need to go to another window for drinks. We sit back down and the food comes pretty quickly. Two baskets are dropped at our table. One with fish and shrimp and one with fries. The fish was pretty good, not cleaned from bones or skin though. They gut the fish and then just slice it up skin bones and all. The shrimp was not to my liking. It was fried without batter but with the shell and head still on it. This made for a sticky oily mess that annoyed me more than anything. The shell was fried onto the shrimp and hard to remove, the seasoning is also added to the outside of the shell. So you peel off the head and shell and what is left is flavorless oily sticky mess. I typically do not have a problem with getting down and dirty for a good meal but this just wasn't.

Positives.. fish and shrimp are VERY fresh, the atmosphere and view was great.

Negatives.. Service is confusing and uninformative.

After cleaning your food yourself you have also removed the seasoning.

Tartar Sauce tasted like just mayo and dill. Not to my liking at all!

Fries were also undercooked and fishy tasting.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,666)

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Zeerovers was recommended by our B&B and it was a perfect option for a quick lunch and is very local, which we love. When you order you can choose how much seafood you want (shrimp and/or catch of the day) and pay based on weight. There are some additional options like cornbread, plantain and fries. The setting is great, right by the water and you can sit in the restaurant, which is covered or in the sunshine. There are a few picnic tables on their dock which gives you a great view. Almost everything is deep fried which I don't mind but the fish was overcooked and the shrimp was really oily. I love seafood but the meal was just okay. If we were to go back to Aruba, I would probably revisit and give Zeerovers another try, maybe it was just an off day. It's a great place for a quick meal, people were friendly and the view is lovely.

Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

All the locals love this place so I decided to check it out. The only food they have is the catch of the day(usually mahi mahi), large shrimps, plantain, fries, and aruban corn bread(look and taste like pancake. You order your items in the front window; they weigh it and charge you by the pound(kilo). They give you a number then you go to the back where you sit on one of the benches. It smells like fish in the back area so you better sit by the water on the dock. They take your fish and shrimps and fry it in the back by the benches. I'm not a fish lover but it wasn't bad.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

All food is fried, you will also get all parts of the fish and shrimp. I found it delicious however my husband was not fond of it, probably because he does not like seafood. The night we went the catch of the day was swordfish and shrimp, yummm! You go up to the window and tell them how much you want, pay for the food there, go around the building order your drinks, the Balashi beer goes great with dinner. We sat closer to the water so it was a beautiful view and the sunset was spectacular. We went on a Sunday night and they were very busy so the wait was long but for me well worth it. I look forward to going back. There is a little sink past the kitchen that you can wash your hands. While we were standing in line we met a few locals and they are so nice and very helpful. Very friendly and cannot wait to go back.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

It's rustic for sure, but where can you see fish come in on the boat and have it served right to your table. Grab a beer or a soda and sit on the deck over the water and enjoy the experience. The fish and shrimp are fried but delicious and not heavy. The fish selection rotates depending on what has been caught. There are also different options for side dishes. The plantains are a great sweet snack for desert. For those people who don't want to get their hands dirty, this is not your place. Although a clean up sink is provided to clean up after your meal. They just expanded one of the deck areas for additional seating, but get there early. . .especially on weekends.