“Can I just call this Paradise???”
Review of Club Arias B&B

Club Arias B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Savaneta B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Can I just call this Paradise???”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

First of all, this was my 30th birthday gift trip from my husband, and I must say he couldn't have picked a better place than Aruba, but not only that!!! He picked the best place to stay in town :) Club Arias was by far the best experience I have had on any of my vacations, if you are looking to feel like at "home" but better, this is the place to stay. The service, the place, and the people at Club Arias were amazing!!! I can't wait to go back again... and I will!!!! By the way, I have been raving so much about my trip and my staying that my assistant couldn't wait! She booked her trip and is going to Aruba next week and of course will stay at Club Arias :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Korean first
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The suites are huge....the food great !Club Arias has all the amenities but is so private, quiet. Easy to mingle with the other guests or just do your own thing. Arias has many optional activities available like 4 wheel tours of Aruba, scuba and snorkeling...he will even teach you to kite surf if you ask him. Went to fantastic local restaurants and clubs that you would never find unless guided by Arias, and his wife Flory.

As in any vacation, the devil is in the details. Arias, Flory and Chef Gabriel are always asking you how your vacation is going and always offering suggestions. A highlight is a special baked treat by Gabriel every afternoon and his custom made to order breakfasts. Tess runs the Sunrise tours...and talks to you like a friend as well.

I have been to Aruba before and you can either spend a giant pile of money. Or much less, have a better time, get treated better and have the extreme personal touch that Club Arias delivers. You leave Aruba and feel like you maxed out your vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dan S
Charleston, WV
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had planned a trip to Florida, but the weather wasn't as warm as we'd hoped. Ted started looking at Aruba about 1 week before our vacation and we lucked into a 6 night stay at Club Arias. Took a taxi from the airport, and walked into our new home away from home. The room was like a princess suite with a kitchenette and living room area. Much more than we expected from a B&B. The bedroom must have been designed for a princess. I'm telling you ! I felt like one with the canopy and high posts! The pools were beautiful, clean and refreshing. There is art work every where!!! I totally enjoyed using the outdoor shower, seeing the sky as I showered. And the water used goes to watering the plants. They have coolers for you to use every day and equipment like beach chairs and beach blankets, snorkel equipment... You can book tours of the island with Arias and snorkel trips with scuba Bob. Breakfast was wonderful every single day ! Chef Gabriel not only cooked us breakfast but a pastry every day at 4pm, wonderful pizzas and the best pasta I've ever had on pasta night. Other than eating and laying out at the pool we walked a short distance to a great snorkel spot . Caught the bus and went to Palm Beach to go on our 2 excursions . There are really good restaurants with in walking distance but honestly you can't find any better pizza than right there at Gabriels. Which is on the Club Arias grounds. Flori and Arias were awesome. They made us feel like family. Every day we had a chance to chat with them. Flori was always more than willing to help us with calls and arranging our adventures. Arias drove us to the airport at the end of our stay. Maybe thats the only way they could get us to leave. I can't wait to go back !

Room Tip: we had room #2
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy T
Rochester, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We just spent a week at Club Arias, and had a wonderful time. I read many of the reviews before traveling and was confused about some features, so I hope to explain. We traveled with my fourteen year old son, his friend, my twenty-five year old stepdaughter, and a middle aged couple who are friends. Club Arias was suitable for all of us, and we saw a great variety of guests - a couple we suspected were honeymooners, older couples and young families. All are welcome.

First the grounds and layout: Club Arias is located on one of the main roads along the southern/western coast of Aruba. (Look at a map - you'll see what I mean.) From the outside it really doesn't look like anything special. When you enter there is a long outdoor entrance area which brings you to the main facilities area. The property can be thought of as two parts- a front, with the main pool, and a back, where the rooms and other pools are located.

The front half of the property: When you enter, to your left you will find the outdoor sheltered dining/lounging area. This area contains a pool table, a ping pong table and a squeaky foosball table - not sure how well it works. The kids spent a lot of time using the pool table and ping pong table. There are also several tables in this area for dining. You can enter the building here and find G & G pizza, which is also the kitchen where breakfast is made each day. This building also houses several indoor dining tables in a restaurant type area, as well as some unique seating - large elevated cushioned seating nooks in the corners of the dining room. This indoor area has board games available for guests' use, as well as books and videos that play in the room TVs. This is also where the phone for international calls is available.

In addition to the sheltered area to the left of the entrance, there are at least two or three large palapas with comfortable seating and tables scattered around the left side of the main pool area. They provide a nice area for sitting with friends (and sharing a coconut rum and pineapple juice or two). One of these is always supplied with coolers and ice - one cooler containing water, the other containing lemonade or some other type of drink, often Crystal Light.

The front pool area is surrounded by lovely landscaping - plants, flowers, and even a small pond which houses some fish and a turtle. We saw hummingbirds, yellow birds I think may have been bananaquits, and other local species flitting about as we spent time there. The pool is a large, clean pool with a slide, but be aware, one of the stairs to the slide is broken. Arias told my husband another slide has been ordered. Our kids used the slide - you have to use your own judgment. The pool has a shallow end with a ledge, and a deep end that goes to about 8 feet (my guess). The temperature is perfect for a refreshing dip - not cold, not hot. If you're out in the evening, you may get a few bites so bring bug spray. The kids swam at night and loved it.

There are numerous lounge chairs around the pool area, some under palapas or other shade, others in the sun. There is never a fight to find a chair. (One of the things I can't stand about big resort hotels is the morning struggle to find a nice seat in the shade. Nothing like that here.)

This front area also has restrooms to the left. I didn't go in the mens' room, but be aware, if you use the women's room, there is a step from the stalls down to the sinks that you might forget as you exit - so be careful . (Both my stepdaughter and I noticed it and almost took a header. Hint to Arias and Flory - you may want to mark that step a bit better.)

There is a storage shed to the front left where you will find the folding chairs you can take to the beach, as well as "noodles" and other pool toys. There is a soda machine in the shed, and an ice machine nearby.

Back area: As you move to the back of the property you will find most of the guest rooms surrounding another pool area. This was what confused me as I read about the property - were there two or three pools? There is no lounge seating around these pools as the rooms surround this area, but some of the rooms have chairs in front. The larger of the pools is the shallow one that has the lounge chairs in the pool that is shown in pictures on the website. Immediately adjacent to that pool is a "pool bar", with some seating in a small pool, and a sheltered bar that can be used to serve drinks. There is no bartender or pool service, but you can bring your own drinks and set up at the bar.

Rooms: I had the opportunity to see "The Nook", and rooms 1, 2, 3, and 4. Rooms 1 through 3 are similar - a large front living room area with a kitchenette, and a large bedroom. The living room may have a sleeper couch, a table and chairs with some cushiony recliner or arm chairs, or a coffee table and arm chairs. Ours (Suite 3) had a recliner, a queen sleeper couch, and two arm chairs, as well as a coffee table and side table. Plenty of comfortable seating. Although reviews I read raved about the quality of the furniture, the furniture was nice, and the rooms were great, but I don't agree that the furnishings were the finest quality as some have written. But who cares? And who wants to be worried about damaging someone's finest furniture? Some of the furniture or rugs had spots or were worn, but generally the furnishings were in good shape and the rooms had a welcoming and comfortable feel.

Our bedroom, and I believe the bedrooms of all the suites I saw, had the TV. At first I thought this might be a problem since we had two kids with us, but we never turned it on except to watch Arias's kiteboarding video.

The bedroom had the most storage space of any I've been in during our travels. We had a king size bed with decorative mosquito netting, a cushy arm chair, an ottoman, two nightstands with lamps, a closet, a vanity type area, dressers, and a large flat screen TV. The floors to the rooms are tiled. Many areas of the rooms and walls around the hotel are decorated with lovely paintings by Arias's lovely mother, who we were lucky enough to meet during her visit. The bathroom has a shower, and two doors - one from the living room and one from the bedroom. So if you are sharing a room where some are in the bedroom and some in the living room, make sure you lock both doors when using the bathroom. There is warm solar heated water in the shower. For hot showers you can use the outdoor showers - though sometimes the hot water runs out there and you may have to wait. Our room had a sheer curtain on the door so light came into the living room at night, and a bit into the bedroom, but other rooms had darker curtains over the door. The windows had room darkening curtains that worked well.

Also - be aware, there is no door between the bedroom and the living room so although the space is large, and roomy enough for four, you won't have complete privacy.

Room 4 has a bunk bed up front with some arm chairs, and a bedroom, in back. The Nook is a smaller room, and a great value, with a half bath, queen size bed and TV. There is a room called "The Container" outside the grounds. It is made from a shipping container, has air conditioning, and seems okay, but it is not as nicely decorated or attractive as the other rooms.

The rooms do have windows, but do not have a view, or bright sunshine. The air conditioning was fine, and not loud. The rooms were quiet - we never heard people coming or going. There was one evening that some guests hung out by the pool bar and were enjoying the bar aspect a bit loudly, but they quieted down when requested by one of the owners.

There is a safe in the suites - but none in the Nook. The safe and rooms are keyless, which makes it easy to walk around without worrying where you left a key.

The bed was firm and comfortable. The couch may not have been as comfortable for sleeping, but that's where the kids slept.

The kitchenette has a small fridge, toaster oven and microwave. There are some dishes and utensils. If you need more, simply ask Arias, his wife Flory, or Gabriel, the chef.

Outdoor showers: These are unique - there are two outdoor showers. When we arrived they were not hooked up properly so the shower head (a hand held shower head) would fly off the bar if the pressure was too high. That's what was meant by the water flying around in another review. It's fixed now - my husband's a fixer and offered to tighten it up. The hook and latch shower locks are not great - they need to be fixed, but if you turn the sign on the outside to "Occupied" you'll be left alone. There is shower gel, conditioner and shampoo in the showers and the room bathrooms. But make sure they're full before you go in - sometimes they're out. Bring a towel and use the robes supplied in the rooms. It's really nice to take a shower under the sky with a breeze.

Cleanliness and housekeeping - There is no housekeeping on Sundays. To have the room cleaned during the week you must take the housekeeping sign that is hanging inside your room near the door and hang it outside your room. We weren't told this in the beginning, so I was a bit frustrated when the room wasn't cleaned Sunday or Monday. Problem fixed by Tuesday.

One suggestion I would make to Arias and Flory is that there should be a little more attention paid to some of the areas that may need cleaning. When we arrived on Sunday there were glasses and other items left around the dining area and the dining area floor was dirty. Part of this can't be helped - there are some berries that fall from a nearby tree that stain the floor when they drop or are stepped on, but are cleaned up during the week. The floor near the area where you order food was also dirty and not cleaned enough. The rooms were clean, but not spotless. The main pool area was always clean, and the pool was cleaned during the week.

Location: Club Arias is not in the hotel zone. It is about fifteen minutes from the airport and less than half an hour from Orangestad. It is probably 45 minutes to Arashi Beach - maybe more or less. So you can get to many of the beaches, and should, but may be driving a bit to the beaches on the northwest part of the island. If you are looking for a touristy "Senor Frogs" and "Hard Rock Cafe" type of area, don't stay here (but you can visit those types of places in the hotel zone). If you're looking for a smaller, low key type of place, this is perfect. There are local restaurants and markets nearby, including the fantastic seafood place Zeerovers (see my next review). The atmosphere is more conducive to guests meeting and chatting than the larger hotels I've visited. Club Arias is not on the beach, but the beach is not far. I would really recommend you rent a car so you can explore the beaches and towns around the island. And I'd recommend you rent it from Arias. It may not be the fanciest model, but Arias did not ask for insurance payments or fuss about how much gas you had to leave in the car at the end. Flory picked us up at the airport and dropped us off. If you are going to drive, there are some great websites that show you the traffic signs in Aruba so you can know before you go.

Phones, wifi - There is a phone available in the front building which can be used to make international, but not local calls. There is free wifi, though it may work in one room of a suite but not another. It works around the pool and other outdoor areas. You may need to make local calls to reach others in your party, or make a reservation, or communicate with someone who is running a tour you're taking. So consider getting a Sim card at the airport, using Skype or other apps to communicate, or planning on using gmail (though that won't work for reservations). Just don't plan on having a local phone provided by Club Arias.

Food: Breakfast is available from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Monday through Saturday, and brunch is from 10:30 to 12:30 on Sundays (at least I think it's 12:30). There were certain choices available on the breakfast menu, but Gabriel will make things to order as well. Choices included omelets, French toast, pancakes and other items. The quick breakfast or whatever they call it included two pancakes, turkey bacon and scrambled eggs. Coffee and orange juice (not the greatest juice) were available each morning as well. You go up to the counter in the front building and order breakfast, and then Flory usually brings it out. Breakfast is made pretty quickly. Be aware - nobody is coming around and taking your order. But the counter is steps away.

In addition to breakfast, you can order pizza and wings during the hours G & G is open. You can run a tab there, but you must pay in cash whether at the end of your stay or at each meal. (There is a money machine in short walking distance. And businesses take U.S. dollars and give change in dollars too.) In addition, there is a pasta night each week where you can order pasta made to order, with choices such as shrimp, chicken, and various vegetables and sauces. This came with salad, and was (I believe) $15 per person including the drinks and any tax. Everyone in our party enjoyed that meal. There was also a pizza night - I believe $12 a person for all-you--can-eat, various types of pizza, and salad. Chocolate pizza for dessert. The pizza was great, and the meal was a bargain! There are small supermarkets nearby so you can stock up on snacks or other food, and large supermarkets a bit farther. We made lunches and brought them with us as we toured beaches and the island. Gabriel, the chef, who is a friendly and warm member of the staff, will cook meals as requested for guests - you have to work the arrangements out with him. One family brought some gluten free items for their child, and he prepared meals for them. He baked a delicious cake for my birthday, and puts out freshly made cake or cookies for guests every day at 4:00.

Because Club Arias has only about 11 suites or rooms, there are never lines for breakfast, and there's always a place to sit for meals.

Resort? Bed and Breakfast? Boutique? - Club Arias is not as simple as a bed and breakfast, given the facilities and size of the rooms. It's more than that. But although the website indicates it's a luxury resort, it's not that either - there is no front office, there is no room service, concierge service, no house phone or room phones. So I think it's more of a boutique hotel. Arias and Flory (and Arias's mother, when she visits, and her friend), as well as Gabriel and other staff, work hard to make sure they get to know their guests and make their guests feel at home.

Arias is very outgoing, and his unique personality enabled him to create this unique and lovely hotel. (I just read this to my husband and he asked me to add that that Arias is a great guy, and that I should point out that Arias brought a group to dinner on Sunday - we all paid our own tabs and had a great time - and he gave a beach kiteboarding lesson to our tour group -separate review of the tour- with everyone having a chance to fly the kite on the beach. He invited our son to join him every day for more lessons. He also invited us all along to hear a friend of his sing at a local club. Flory is less outgoing, but very friendly and always helpful.)

Having said that, I have to acknowledge I was frustrated in the beginning of the week by some of the initial miscommunication we experienced. We initially booked the Nook for my stepdaughter, but I overheard two young women who had been staying there indicate to Flory they could stay an extra day. When I looked into the Nook after learning there was no housekeeping on Sundays, the day she was arriving, and saw the room was not made up, I went to Arias and learned my stepdaughter was going to be in a room called "The Container" which was outside the grounds. The two women who had not checked out were continuing on in the Nook. I didn't want my stepdaughter to stay in the Container though I'm sure it was perfectly safe, so we had her stay in the room with us and the boys. (She's in her 20s but I just didn't feel great about that room or her being off the grounds) So I was a bit unhappy. Then the shower head flew off the bracket and soaked my clothes, I couldn't find anyone around for towels and toilet paper at one point, the air mattress wouldn't hold air, and I was frustrated. We booked a snorkeling trip with someone, and he tried to reach us to change the day due to the conditions, but the message was not passed on to us because he was told when he called that there were no room phones.

Also, although Arias told us he was driving the tour we were taking, and specifically told the group he would be watching for our vehicles behind him and he would be in the vehicle driving our kids, at the last minute he introduced us to Tess who was standing next to him, and said she'd be giving us the tour. She gave us the tour and drove the kids. Arias didn't come. Tess was great, but we were pretty surprised. And although Arias did give my son the kiteboarding lesson he promised, he never told him in the days leading up that my son would never be on the water. My son was disappointed - I was relieved. But I think a little more clarity in communication would be helpful.

I remember reading some reviews from December or January on Tripadvisor, and the guests had been very upset and unhappy with Arias. I didn't know why it would matter if they liked the owner, but I now understand that they probably expected a different type of experience - a hotel with management that would be available to help them at any time with plans, transportation and reservations. Maybe they had some of the miscommunication with Arias we had. Although Arias and Flory are warm and welcoming, and more than happy to answer all of your questions before you arrive, and while you are their guests, they do not provide concierge services, and may not be around when you need something, though one or both are always around several times during the day. And Arias's style of communication can, at times, be confusing.

So although I think this is a fantastic and lovely place to stay, and a great value, I would recommend a few things. First, make sure you have a way of reaching others on the island and being reached - whether you spring for expensive cell calls, buy a Sim card at the airport for your phone, add apps to your electronics, or use email. Second, you have to be comfortable without day and night hotel services. Flory and Arias will make suggestions, but you will not have a front desk making plans for you. If you want to do more than just sit around the pool (and it's a lovely pool, so that might be your choice), you can take taxis, buses or rent a car. But you'll have to be comfortable doing that. This is not a place where you walk out and there are a hundred resort chain restaurants at your doorstep. Many (including me) prefer it this way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank jillles
Savaneta, Aruba
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I first came to Aruba and stayed at Club Arias 2 years ago, almost to the day. When I first met Arias and Flori, I knew they would be like family. They, along with the staff at Club Arias, were so inviting and friendly from the very start. After my first visit, I returned 4 times, each trip becoming longer and longer. Club Arias easily became my home away from home. The atmosphere is so laid back and relaxed. It's always quiet and relaxing, exactly what I look for when I'm on vacation. The location is perfect. I spent the entire month of July here in 2012 and Arias and Flori were extremely accomodating, seeing as how it was a longer stay than most guests. I was able to stay in one of their rooms at a very reasonable price. It still felt like home. When I returned in September I decided then to just make the move. Arias had a house near by that wasn't being used so now I'm renting it from him. Although I'm no longer staying at the B&B as a guest, I still feel like part of the family. I couldn't be happier now that I've decided to stay here on Aruba. I honestly can say that my decision to move may have been different if I had never come to Club Arias 2 years ago. They have helped in so many ways to make the transition. I highly recommend the B&B to anyone visiting the island. The rooms are beautiful and more than comfortable. You actually do feel at home. You get personal attention here, unlike anything you see anywhere else. The beds in all the rooms are extremely comfortable, they have very large living areas, amazing outdoor showers, 2 pools, and breakfast made fresh for you every morning by Gabby (the chef here). Gabby also has G&G Pizza right here at Club Arias. Hands down, he makes the best pizza and wings on the island. Not bad having it right next door! If you are looking for a quiet and peaceful getaway that feels like home away from home, Club Arias is perfect for just that. Speaking from experience!!

Room Tip: Honestly, all therooms are great. It just depends on your own preference. If you are traveling alone...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2013

As soon as we entered Club Arias we became overwhelmed with excitement. The fragrance of the beautiful gardens instantly made us feel so relaxed and carefree. There was a large pool in the front with lawn chairs, umbrellas and a slide for the kiddies. As we walked towards the back there was another pool and hot tub surrounded by stones as well as a built in bar. The colorful lights in the pools created a magical atmosphere at night. The rooms were very clean, spacious and cozy. The beds were also very comfortable. The rooms all come with bathrooms and showers, except for one of their smallest rooms. There was an enclosed outdoor shower next to the room which we very much enjoyed taking, especially under the stars. The resort is also very safe and located in the town of Savaneta, about a ten minute drive into Oranjestad. There are beaches nearby as well. The resort is a nice escape from all the business and loudness of the city. For the beauty and value of the place, it was definitely worth the short drive into town. We also found the resort to be very accommodating to our needs and family freindly. There are 24 hr water and lemonade stands, breakfast included and a restaurant. Arias, the owner, is also a very charismatic guy and goes above and beyond to accommodate the guests. Highly recommended! Sarah and Magda

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was a last minute vacation and it was also our first trip to Aruba. When you stay at Club Arias, you really feel that this place was built with a lot of love. The place is filled with hand painted details, beautiful foliage, clean pools, amazing outdoor showers under the stars and the suites themselves are large and homey. The sheets are super soft and the bed is comfy.Club Arias brings out the kidult in everyone. There is ping-pong, pool,books, movies and kadima,etc. Club Arias also provided us with a cooler which we filled with picnic goods that we took to quite a few beaches. The breakfasts are delicious! My husband and I spent 4 nights here and will truly miss Club Arias. Arias, his wife and Chef Gabriel care about hospitality. They are kind and made us feel that we were staying in a home with the luxuries of a hotel. Thank you Arias for providing us with such a special place to stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Savaneta
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Club Arias B&B? Share your experiences!