“The Flying Fishbone, Aruba”

The Flying Fishbone
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Savaneta
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Beach side dining, with even tables in the water. Great international menu, extensive wine and cocktail list and spectacular sunsets!
Reviewed November 15, 2008

My husband and I went to the flying fishbone this past Sunday. We were celebrating his birthday and our 30th anniversary. When we booked we told them this but it wasn't acknowledge. This was one of the disappointments. While the food and service was good, we thought that it was overrated and very expensive. There are much nicer places in Aruba to watch the sunset. I would never go there again. The location wasn't one of the better places in Aruba. We weren't the only ones who thought that.

4  Thank jomarie45
Write a ReviewReviews (5,001)

Reviewed October 22, 2008

My husband and I booked the flying fishbone before we left home / we were really looking forward to it from reading several reviews etc.
We arrived at the restaurant and were brought to our table which was in the water. I asked to be moved to one on the sand because i just didnt see the appeal of taking off my shoes and sitting in the water all night / obviously some people like it but not my cup of tea! The waitress got really narky about it and with a big sigh moved us to another table where we had to stand beside it until it was set up. i went to sit down and she turned around and snapped 'do you mind? i want to set the table first?' I was very embarassed as everyone was watching, I really didnt think it was such a big deal, but obviously to her it was. I didnt intentionally want to make a fuss but when we did eventually get to sit down I was feeling like I wasnt welcome there. The waiter came round then, he was very polite, over the top if anything, everyone was 'his friend'. We had a starter and main course and just as we were finished our main course the bill was plonked down on the table. we hadnt even asked for it, thats when i really felt like we werent welcome there. The food was very good, the setting fantastic. The waiter OTT friendly, but the way we were rushed out of there spoiled it for us.
It was expensive and overrated.....................

9  Thank Katmartyn
Reviewed October 10, 2008

We are Foodies. We eat at Great places of all different price ranges. Flying Fishbone was not good. Blue cheese shrimp casserole was shrimp floating in a blue cheese/oil. NOT what i thought a casserole was supposed to be. Seafood in Coconut curry sauce had barely any sauce. We were eaten by bugs, and the prices are just so ridiculous and such a tourist trap.

7  Thank jerseygrl21
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Definitely make reservations to have a table on the beach at sunset. It was a great view. The food is excellent and the service is great! This is probably one of the most romantic restaurants I've been to. I would also recomend taking a taxi to this place since it's out of the way. It's a little pricey, but worth it!

5  Thank FoodLoverValpo
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I read the reviews for The Flying Fishbone before we went our our Anniversary trip to Aruba, Sept. 20 - 28. Based on the reviews, I knew we had to make reservations and eat there one night.

The Flying Fishbone is a restaurant on the beach. The best seat is the table on the rocks to the right of the restaurant. There's a lot of privacy and you get the best view of the sunset. When you make your reservation, make sure you ask for a table that is NOT in the water. We were happy that we did, because another couple that were on their honeymoon got a table with their feet in the water and three times were drenched by the waves from a passing boat.

We ended up renting a car and drove there ourselves. The cab rides can get expensive and since we had rented a car one day, this would be the best day to go to The Flying Fishbone because it is a little out of the way.

The wait staff was extremely friendly, and they really let us take our time with our meal. We both got their signature blue cheese shrimp casserole dish and the roti appetizer. Both dishes were unbelievably good!

The only down side was right when we walked in, we noticed a table full of OFF insect repellant. The hostess mentioned that we might need to use it later in the evening. I went right away to spray some on as a precautionary measure, but my husband said I wouldn't need it because of the slight breeze. WRONG! As soon as the sun went down, the mosquitos came out in full force. Almost everyone got up and headed for the OFF table. I wished I would have sprayed it on at the beginning of the meal, because my husband and I were eaten alive by mosquitos. We would have stayed and had dessert, but we needed to leave ASAP due to the mosquitos, which made us eat our dinner really quickly.

Overall, this is a great restaurant and I highly recommend it as a romantic dinner for two. The sunset is GORGEOUS! Just make sure to spray yourselves with OFF - Before dinner!

2  Thank macabee98