“Recommended”

The Flying Fishbone
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Savaneta
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Beach side dining, with even tables in the water. Great international menu, extensive wine and cocktail list and spectacular sunsets!
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The food and service was great. The location is right on the beach. You can even sit with your feet in the water.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,216)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and went here for an early anniversary dinner. Our table was directly on the beach; we were able to watch the magnificent sunset from our seats. It was so relaxing to be able to sit and watch the water with a mild breeze blowing; it was almost as if we were the only ones there! Our waiter was attentive with being hovering. For an appetizer we ordered the Deep Fried Calamari, it looked wonderful, was light battered, but unfortunately it was very tough and chewy. For the main course, my husband order the fish of the day, which was Red Snapper. I ordered the Shrimp Shii-Take and Blue Cheese Casserole (listed as a one of the most popular dishes). The Snapper looked, smelled, and tasted wonderful; a big hit with my husband. The Shrimp Casserole was a little heavy for me, but was also wonderful. Other than the appetizer, we were very pleased with our meals. For dessert we shared the Creme Brule; when it arrived at our table we were thrilled to see an acknowledgement of our anniversary...the plate was decorated with an anniversary message and came with a festive sparkler....what a nice surprise. We will be returning!!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Lovely restaurant, perfect setting for romance, proposals!
Food was very good, along with the service - but they now how to charge, wow VERY expensive!!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Every year for eight years, we meet in Aruba with dear friends from the West coast and we are from the east coast. All birthdays are at the Flying Fishbone with the gorgeous sunset and no shoes with sand under your feet. The food is spectacular with the atomsphere. Thank you Flying Fishbone for our dinners and friends.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We heard many great things about The Flying Fishbone so we decided to take the $30 per way cab ride out. We noted that the restaurant was oddly next to someone's residence, as they came out to tan; if I were those people, I would really hate all the patrons at the restaurant. Although we got a 5pm reservation, we got a table in the 2nd row, but the tides were lower after the hurricane passing by so our feet didn't touch the water; fine by me, because it looked irritating to constantly get our feet wet, having our items fall in the water (we saw several people have their metal stands fall and their hats/scarves fall into the water), our chairs and tables sinking in the water, and one man got bit by a crab in the water.
I got a mango cocktail which was pretty good. For appetizers I got the lobster bisque and my husband got the crab cakes; the crab cakes were ok while my lobster bisque was a large portion but I found to be a little watery, taste was ok though.
Since they were known for their fish, my husband was very excited to order their "grilled sea bass" - now I just checked online and they have changed their menu to have a dish called "chilean sea bass", I'm sure it's because of the incident with my husband. I ordered a seafood medley dish. My dish was very good, but my husband got half a fish that looked like a green bass/rock bass that you would fish out of a river; it was definitely not "sea bass". We asked the waiter to see if this was the wrong dish; he comes back saying that it is "farm raised bass". We took a bite out of it and it tasted like it was a frozen fish. Now, I'm Asian and it's very often that we have steamed fish at our meals, and I've had bass before, the meat being very flaky. This tasted like the fish was previously frozen as the meat was extremely tough, and the fish tasted like someone fished it out of the St. Lawrence River in Canada, tasting like the river, but worse. Needless to say, it was really gross and not worth the $37 it was priced at. With my husband pretty upset, the waiter got the hostess to come by and she explained that it was a Europeon farm raised bass. My husband asked her why the dish would be priced at $37, being one of the most expensive on the menu, but the fish tasted frozen, and why wouldn't they label it on the menu as such (you would expect that if it was truly sea bass, it would justify the price, if every other fish dish was cheaper). The hostess offered to take his dish away and for him to get another meal, so he got the pasta instead. We already felt a damper on our evening, and the pasta was not cooked thoroughly, so it was quite hard for Flying Fishbone to redeem themselves (now note that the current menu was redone in September 2012 and we went in August 2012, so I'm sure we had some influence on the change in the menu).
The view was nice, but their placement of the rocks is very awkward. From the angle we were sitting at, the sun was setting... but behind a huge rock that they placed in the water, and had lights and other electrical wired through it. If you wanted to see the sunset, you would have to step up higher in the beach, or like me, had to step past the rocky shore border and into the ocean to get into thigh high water to get a good view and pictures (good thing I was wearing a short summer dress). As the sun was setting, many of the patrons got up from their seats so they could get a good view and take pictures; kind of disruptive to the meal.
In the end our meal came out to be $120 (as we had to pay for the pasta my husband ordered by default) and the $60 dollar cab ride... definitely not worth it. There are many restaurants where you can get the same ambiance as Flying Fishbone, with a better view, and without an ambiguous menu. Kudos to the people that enjoyed it, but we're definitely not going back.