“Yummiest cream tea ever! Great location.”

Fremington Quay Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Fremington
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Heritage centre and cafe in the old station on the Taw estuary
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Friendly, all-year-round, good-value little restaurant - the staff were excellent, and very welcoming. We had a cream tea ~ gorgeous warm, light, tasty scones and lashings of clotted and cream and jam. Perfect! Varied menu, comfy sofas and coffee tables, tables and chairs, daily newspapers, indoor/outdoor seating, information, a lovely view, and an ideal stop-off on the Tarka Cycle Trail, as well as being driveable/walkable to. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great stop off with lovely home made food.Great Sunday Lunch, Great Cakes and Cream Teas. Good place to sit outside in the summer and also have a warming soup and hot chocolate in the colder days inside. Great location if you are walking or cycling along the Tarka Trail.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Fab stop for walkers and cyclists. All cooked to order. Even got homemade dog biscuits! Very clean. Lovely staff.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stopped to have a look at the beautiful estuary and a sandwich. Staff were very friendly and the lunch was first class.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My partner and I visited Fremington Quay Cafe yesterday, this being the first time we have been since it has been under new management. The cafe is in a lovely setting with lovely views. I thought the menu looked varied with some interesting options on it, the cakes also looked inviting. Eventually we opted for a cream tea, I thought the price of £3.95 was fair. Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed with the scones. They were advertised as homemade - really? They left a really unpleasant aftertaste of bicarbonate of soda.

What really spoilt our visit though was the attitude of the waitress. We chose to sit outside as it was a pleasant afternoon. I carried out the tea and we were given a table number for the scones, which the young waitress brought out to us. She noticed we didn't have any knives, and said in a very offhand tone "you have to get knives and serviettes from on the counter". (I hadn't noticed them on the counter as there was a lady standing in front of me). We looked at each other in amused disbelief. Would it have been too much trouble for her to offer to fetch them for us? I obviously wouldn't have expected her to if she had been rushed off her feet, but it was later in the afternoon and the cafe was not busy. I do waitressing myself sometimes and I always try to be helpful and pleasant to customers.

If you want a really lovely cream tea in North Devon I highly recommend Town Farm in Mortehoe, where the scones are out of this world and homemade without a doubt - and you get service with a smile!

2  Thank debbiedave
Charlottelock, Owner at Fremington Quay Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Firstly we are sorry you felt the need to write these comments rather than discussing them with us. We were both on the premises and available to discuss our produce, our home baking or our service. We would have happily given you new scones, an alternative or a refund. Our kitchen staff are puzzled as over the last two years we have never had a complaint about funny tasting scones. As previous trip advisor reviews highlight, our cream tea special is fantastic value for money and very enjoyable.

Our server should have made you more aware to help yourself to the cutlery you would have needed, we find not all customers read the sign that highlights this next to the till. We can only apologise if you felt unhappy with the service we will pass on your comments to our staff as all feedback is valued.

We hope you visit us again in the future

Charlotte and Paul