Sandton Chateau De Raay
$87
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbeautiful hotelcastle roomnice locationlarge roomnice bathroomgreat foodcroissantslove this placean upgradecomfortable bedsresidential areamy opinionbusiness tripsmall fridgeromantic getawaylunch and dinnerunique building
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband had to come to Venlo for business and I was fortunate enough to tag along. We only had two weeks notice so we had to find a place to stay quickly. I found Sandton Chateau De Raay and feel in love with the pictures. Working for a resort myself, I am custom to reading through reviews and being able to tell what are good reviews and able to ignore the reviews of the traveler who just had a miserable time regardless. Customer service is excellent here!
The grounds are so lovely and it is so quiet here. Each of the hotel staff members that I've encountered, have all been so very friendly and helpful. Also, great that they all can speak English, since two weeks notice did not give me time enough to learn Dutch. The staff has been very patient and helpful to me. We stayed in a two room suite with a balcony over looking the back of the gardens. Lots of ducks and birds, even a rooster in the distance that you can hear in the morning. The beds are very comfortable!! Bike rental is available to explore Baarlo. There is charming artwork throughout the hotel and our room was very spacious - so was the bathroom. The entrance to the hotel is a little confusing and there are a few different ways and dirt roads in, which makes the hotel even more private. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are in the area on business or especially for a romantic get-a-way. If we ever get back to this area, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gina H
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Lets start with the reception, service personal is extremely friendly and helpfull. But girls, be honest about how busy the hotel is. (30 guest is not fully booked)

The rooms looked small and a bit cramped, but the bathroom is probably the biggest we ever had in a hotel, I liked the double washbasin. The shower had enough power even in the morning (peak time) The television in the room offers a selection of Dutch stations and some german ones. Not sure if any english stations were listed in the program. The bed at Sandton hotels are always good. Maybe a tiny bit to soft but that is a personal issue. The room could be cleaner and some paintwork can be done. in de wooden roof beams we noticed dustheaps and tiny spiderweb. Just hoovering the beams will probably do the job. The minibar in the room is empty for some reason.

We found breakfast in the hotel very poor, choice of 3 kinds of meats (Raw ham, cooked ham, and salami) 3 kinds of cheeses, and a selection of sweets (jams) also a selection of organic milk and a bowl of fresh fruit salade (which was frozen at the time we had breakfast) products. But the coffee is absolute rubbish, for the price of the breakfast you can expect a double espresso or cappuccino but you have to pay extra. (whichI found not okay if you know that the price of a breakfast is € 20 + per person)

Eating out in the Netherlands is expensive, but the prices in the hotel restaurant are more than average. So we decided to eat somewhere else.

Then the extra charges, € 2,50 per night per person for taxes and maintaining the chateau,... excuse me but that is in my honest opinion part of the room price and should not be added as and extra on the hotel bill.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade and make sure you have a look into the room before you decide to take the key, some rooms are small and cramped.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gumtree75
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Lovely 4 star hotel in a nice location!!
The hotel is nice rooms are wel furnished with lovely bright colors!!
The tv was old fashioned with not many channels to choose from!!
When the weather is warm, there is no air-conditioning, and no summer blanket,
so it is rather hot!!
Bathrooms spacious, but the bath is difficult to climb in when your height is average and
you are not an athlete!!!!
Hotel surroundings great, helpfull staff, good breakfast!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is the second time I visited Chateau de Raay and again it was a great pleasure. We've opted for a standard room but got an upgrade to a deluxe room. Next to this the hotel staff has sincere interest in your stay and gives you a warm and happy welcome. It seems everybody loves working at this place. The room is spacious and comfortable. I think it was renovated somewhere in the end of 200X but it was clearly done with style and comfort in mind.

The room was clean, practical and provided a kingsize twin bed. It provided a bathtub for two and some nice hifi electronics.

The breakfast is simple but correct. I've had better but it's definatly nice sitting in their winter garden.

The restaurant is wonderfull. The dishes are very well in balance and provide you the chance to eat the regional specialities in a fancy way. I would really recommend it.

Conclusion: I loved it!

Tip: Check out the woods in the back and make a very nice walk by following the redmarkers.

Room Tip: I would recommend trying the deluxe rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed her as working nearby, very friendly staff and helpful! Food excellent and in the good weather sitting out near the lake was just so tranquil ! Beds rooms luxury and spacious!!! Lovely place to visit and stay !!! Highly recommended!!!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business