“Great Lilybank Hospitality”

Ranked #1 of 1 Stratford B&B and Inns
WA State USA
“Great Lilybank Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

The hospitality shown by Pat and Mike was excellent--very home-like--, and the accomodations were clean, attractive, and atmospheric (the house is a queensland style former plantation house, complete with outside veranda and wooden shutters.
The facility had a fascinating mix of guests going in and out when I was there-- A Sydney entertainer on vacation, two geologists, and two different sets of German tourists. They were all good conversationalists at breakfast, and very friendly people. The breakfast, by the way, were delicious.

Although it is a little out of town (which contributes to the peace and quiet) there is a very good restaurant one block away and a bus line passing in front of it.

If you are at a loss for what to do in Cairns, Pat and Mike give good advice and can book tours for you, which will pick you up at the door and leave you there as well.

Lilybank was recommended to me by a computer aquaintance, and I unreservedly recommend it to anyone else.

• Liked — The mix of visitors
  • Disliked — Pool was cold water
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank LollyWAStateUSA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
St. Augustine FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2007

I loved the location near the river and the fact that it is an historic house. The property dates back to 1872, just 7 years after the first settlers began arriving and was established on 1600 acres, becoming the first tropical fruit plantation in North Queensland and also was a popular hotel and Inn or guesthouse.
The house is built from old silky oak weatherboards and has wonderful very wide verandahs.
Minutes away from good restaurants, and Pat is very helpful and will set you up for all that you want to do in the area. Local tours pick you up at the door. Easy access to Great Barrier Reef, close to Kuranda Scenic Train connection at Freshwater and Skyrail. 10 minutes north of Cairns city centre.
Wonderful varied breakfasts; I wasn't even hungry again til late afternoon . Rooms are clean, which is very important to me.
I like the fact I can make tea and coffee at any
time in the evening while relaxing back at the B & B. Interesting salt water pool in a tropical setting; in fact the whole place
is set into a tropical lush forest feel and a wonderful representativel for the tropical part of Australia. Absolutely marvelous. The hosts care! Hope I get back some day!

• Liked — Feeling right at home
Stayed June 2007
2 Thank Mahoney
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

Pat is wonderfully helpful in figuring out Cairns and it is a great source of tours. The property has some pretty gardens and the rooms are spacious and clean. The food places around the area were probably the best we ate in Australia too...and some of the cheaper eats we found. Breakfast was delicious and the breakfast area was very nice.

But...it is far away from Cairns and although there is a bus, it is not reliable at all. The area that it is in is a suburb, so if you want to do anything but relax and eat, you'll have to find a way (taxi or rental car) to get into town. Towels were not washed every day and there was nothing in the bathroom to indicate if you wanted them washed. They also tell you that you must turn off the AC when you leave. We also found that when we left a bit early (an hour before the 'official' breakfast start time), there was no effort to put something out for us.

All in all, it reminded us of staying with family...you're more of a guest in someone's home than treated as a paying guest.

• Liked — Breakfast and area restaurants
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a car or prepare to pay for cabs
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank mmed
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2006

I have just come back to Melbourne from Cairns where I stayed at Pat's Lilybank Bed and Breakfast for 8 days with my husband.
We had such a lovely time there that I felt that I just had to share my experience with everyone.
Lilybank is in a suburb of Cairns not far from the airport but with no flight noise. It is in very tropical suroundings and they have a lovely pool which you can use.
A really nice touch is the outdoor dining area for breakfast which is netted so that you do not have any flies but its lovely to eat in the outdoors. They have a breakfast menu which is quite extensive and the rest of the breakfast is lovely too with some really interesting tropical fruit that you cannot get elsewhere. Nice to taste something different.
Both the hosts are very friendly had very helpful with their bookings for trips. I notice that one writer suggested that Pat book the trips and I do second that idea as you will get the best of the best that way.
There are some nice eateries close by and you can also make something light yourself as there is a guest kitchen and eating area.
The prices are great as well and they do also offer an internet facility which is very helpful as well.
I will most certainly stay with them again as I just felt just like I was at home with my Mum and Dad.

1 Thank getmeonatrip
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2006

I love staying at B&B's; this one was no exception. The owners were really friendly, especially in the morning over their wonderful breakfast. But, the place is about 15km out of Cairnes. We stayed there on our last night is Australia, and though there were a few restraunts around the hotel, they were all closed. (Monday night.) It's not in a scenic, historic, or convenient area. I was a little disappointed, based on the forums I had read on this sight.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank AL-the-squid
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2005

Mike and Pat Woolford run an outstanding b&b just outside of Cairns and within hooting distance from the most amazing "Great Barrier Reef" and several agencies offering trips out to the reef...with snorkling, submersibles that take you under the water and along the reef. Just beautiful. Breakfast is wonderful, what you want with a menu, no less. And Pat and Mike are gracious to a fault. Contact them at ------ They answer their emails personally. Richard and Kathleen Devey in California. Contact us for further <deveyr@msn.com>

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford
Reef Palms
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cairns
Kookas Bed & Breakfast
Kookas Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 2 in Edge Hill

Been to Lilybank Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!