“Great food, Basil Fawlty esque service”
Review of The Bell Inn

The Bell Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Great food, Basil Fawlty esque service”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Visited the Bell last Saturday. As always the Bell's food was the highlight of the evening, excellent food for an excellent price. I personally chose the rump steak which was cooked to perfection (medium-rare) and the onion rings and chips were scrumptious. My partner chose the home cooked ham and chips which was again cooked to perfection, the ham melted in your mouth and the eggs were also perfect (no black bits or fried badly) the perfect egg!!! The service was overall very good but very hectic and the 'Basil Fawlty' manager made the evening very enjoyable and on top of that he gave up desert and a drink free!!! what a guy!!! Good evening and we will definitely be going back. A great British food pub which needs to get rid of the riff-raff locals

• Visited August 2013

Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
“Great setting - poor food”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Lovely views over the village green but disappointing food and pub. We ordered a roast and tuna baguette but we had to get our own cutlery and the suaces were in cheap sachets. All of the picnic tables were old and rickety and dirty plates left out on a lot of them which was attracting wasps. The table next to us had a lot of broken glass underneath which the young and disinterested staff seemed to ignore. No ashtrays on the tables, so cigarettte ends littering the floor; it looked unkempt and dirty tbh.

Food was below average; my baguette was one of the warm ones that had been heated up in the oven.......at some point..........as it was stone cold by the time it got to me. The roast looked ok - the food was deffo not homecooked but looked very Brakes Bros!!!

Watching the cricket was nice but the pub/garden was grubby so will never go back!!

• Visited August 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Idyllic setting, glacial service”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We met with friends for Sunday lunch at 'The Bell'. At first glance the place is perfect, great setting with a small farm with animals for the kids to look at.

We sat down and our order was taken quickly. Some of our roasts arrived after half an hour, but we had to wait a further twenty minutes before half of the vegetables arrived, then another ten minutes before the final amount arrived, some of which was spilled on the table.

The food was okay, probably not home-made as was suggested, but not bad.

We ordered puddings, which duly didn't arrive. We asked where they were to be told they were coming. Twenty minutes later and with no sign of the puddings, we gave up, paid and went outside to look at the animals.

Sadly, there were no animals, just empty pens which was a big disappointment. We went over to the play park instead, to find half of it broken.

Several parties came in to the restaurant and left without eating, probably due to the wait. A lady sat next to us seemed to fall asleep after an hour of no food.

It's such a shame, on paper this pub has it all, but the execution is a big let down. The staff are generally dis-interested apart from the enthusiastic assistant manager who would do well to find another, better job. I would have given the place a 'terrible' if it wasn't for him.

• Visited July 2013
Suffolk
“Popular pub by village green”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The food was excellent but the service painfully slow! Tables outside allowed us to watch the cricket on the green.

Visited July 2013
Gloucestershire
“Overpriced”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I visited this pub for dinner last Friday. The pub was busy with drinkers who were mainly outside as it was sunny. It's in a great location on the green with plenty of seating space and a good choice of real ales. The disappointment was the food. I had the mussels and fries from the specials board. At nearly £15 I thought this was a bit steep for a pub but as it's one of my favourite dishes I had it anyway. The mussels were seriously over cooked, the sauce was thick and sickly, the bowl of fries that came with it was minuscule and the bread was 2 slices of brown bread, hardly the classic dish I was expecting especially as it's not difficult to cook. My companions food was equally as disappointing and this was only a burger from the main menu. Maybe they were having an off day but I wouldn't recommend visiting following my experience!

• Visited July 2013