“Small local hill, good for lessons, long lift lines”

Ski Snow Valley Barrie
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Minesing
Toronto
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Small local hill, good for lessons, long lift lines”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We took our family to Snow Valley for a day out skiing. The boys are new skiers, ages 7 and 4. We found that the hill was very very popular with ski school lessons happening. My chief complaint is that the ski schools all landed at one lift at the same time, and then they got priority access to the chairs (which is typical, and not usually a problem). But it meant my family had to wait in line for 30 minutes to get on the lift (not exaggerating, there was a clock at the lift). The lift operator was working the line-up but didn't seem to have a system for which line merged when, so really it became a guessing game as to which line would advance next. Add in the ski schools now coming back down for trip #2 and it was just an awful cold wait. We paid for a ticket too!!!!

Second issue - the 4 year old gets a $8 ticket, which I love that it's so deeply discounted when we're buying for 3 other people. Son started to enjoy the Kidz Village area, actually skiing on his own and taking advice from Mom! So it was incredibly irritating, when yet again, here comes the ski school and we're kicked off the baby hill. No signage, no advance warning, just the boot.

The chalet is nice and it's easy to park and bring in a cooler bag of snacks.

But for the money we'll go to Mount St. Louis Moonstone next time. The hill isn't big enough to accommodate the volume of ski school traffic + regular tickets.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Cottagergirl

Brampton
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Excellent Winter Activity”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We tried snow tubing in the group of 12 Adults .The resort provides an excellent winter activities. We had a lot of fun. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. Facilities were in excellent condition. Strongly Recommended

Visited January 2014
Sudbury, Canada
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Great family location”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We went to Snow Valley during the Christmas holiday, we went tubing and had a great time. It's nice that they have tubing and skiing as the group can separate and do different activities.

Visited December 2013
St. Catharines, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Deplorable lift operations... Don't come here if you are a beginner!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Please don't believe what they say on the website about this being a great place to learn... If I had come to this resort when I was learning I would have quit the first day. They have a complete lack of care for your safety getting on and off the lifts and you will hurt yourself as a beginner. Please read the letter below that I sent to management ....

I wanted to write and express my disappointment with your lift operations today (Sunday Jan 12). I saw and experienced so many situations today that I found to be dangerous, unacceptable and completely negligent on the part of your staff. Let me give you a few examples of what I experienced today...

1) I have never been on a lift with a carpet . I asked the lift operator what I should do with my snowbaord to board the lift and he said.. " just stand there" . His lack of care caused me to almost fall over and the lift to actually hit my partner.

2) your quad lift was going very slowly as four us us were about to dismount when all of a sudden it picked up acceleration too quickly and threw four of us into a pile at the bottom of the lift. The operator said well it's not my fault they increased the speed at the bottom.

3) Again getting off the quad lift a child fell off the lift. I asked the lift operator to stop the lift because of the child in the way and they said " it's fine". It's fine? I of course hit the child who was still on the ground in front of the lift.

4) again on the quad lift... Not once all day did we see any operator actually get out of the booth to shovel snow on and level out the disembarkment ramp. All day we were pushed to the right and into the concrete barrier and no one did a thing to change his situation. As well the gates to load onto the lift had large humps of snow in the middle which might be ok for skiers but is not acceptable for snowbaords and again not one staff member did anything to rectify the situation.

As first time riders of your resort we were very disappointed and we will not be returning. We snowboard twice a weekend at resorts though the states and canada and have never experienced such disregard for safety.

I will be posting this letter online and will take this matter further if needed. For the four of us it was money wasted and we will be sure to let other people know. You advertise yourselves as a Great place to learn and I would hate to be a beginner at your resort. I would have quit the sport the first day.

Visited January 2014
7 Thank mtbrchic
Toronto, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic Ski Area”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have been skiing since I was a tot. I have skied around the world. I am now teaching my kids. We live in downtown Toronto so this is an easy trip. Much easier than making the trek to Collingwood. I would say this is a top notch resort for the location. The staff are very helpful. The chalet is very well laid out and clean. Lots of cubbies to store your gear (although some people see fit to store their gear under the tables in the cafeteria). Loved the fact that they had a family bathroom with a wide bench to place all your stuff while you do your business. Lots of variety of runs with nice curves, some open and wide (Family run) and some more narrow and twisty. I would rate this hill as perfect for young families. The kids love it, and as a seasoned skier I am rather surprised that I am this impressed. The best part of all is there are minimal lift lines. There is plenty of variety so you won't get bored. If you can perfect a turn here, you can perfect your turns anywhere. My only complaint was the food in the cafeteria. I bought the kids a hamburger and fries at the end of the day. $12 and the burger was scarey dry and skinny. Looked like a piece of old leather.
I was also impressed with the fact that my husband got a season pass for $50 being he turned 50. Great marketing plan. Who is a 50 year old guy skiing with ? He's bringing his family. Makes the season a little more affordable for a family. Also you can save money by purchasing your lift passes on line before going. Easy to pick up at the front counter when you arrive. We'll be skiing here with the kids for a number of years to come I am sure!

Visited December 2013