Strimon Garden SPA Hotel
Hotel Balkan(Kyustendil)(Great Value!)
$19
  • Room Service
$102
All reviewsmineral waterswimming poolgarden spathird floorbreakfast buffetsteam bathnice hotelrooms are largegreat facilitiesevery morninggreat value for moneydelicious foodtreatmentvarietybulgariatownmenu
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed there for one night only and will never return. Bad furnishing, bugs in the corners, various reconstruction work all over the hotel from dusk till late night preventing the few guests from having a normal nap... Well, the stuff was really trying to do the best they can and the food was decent, but those silly cheap reproductions of classic masterpieces hanging all arround were simply driving me crazy. What a pity for the resources the town and the place have!

Room Tip: Don't choose a mesonet in summertime, you'll suffocate even with the air conditioner switched to max
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Milena P
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The hotel is situated in a nice little town - Kyustendil - where one can enjoy the peacefulness of provincial Bulgaria, the beauty of Osogovo mountain and the crispy sweet taste of the best cherries in the world. The building is, I guess, a very old one, renovated to become what it is now, and this is quite obvious both in the rooms, restaurant and spa area, and to me, in a negative way. The rooms are very, very small, like a 3 star hotel in Paris; everything is decorated with replicas of old paintings, and you can see the same paining in 3-4 different places walking around; the restaurant is very poorly air conditioned - you would not want to sit inside during the summer, and especially if it is full. The good things - the spa area (during the week days when the hotel is almost empty), the food (tasty) and the prices (reasonable).

Room Tip: Take an apartment, not a simple double room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Nice, good-looking hotel, both public spaces and rooms. Huge room-dedicated A/C. Easy free wifi, great lighting in bathroom.
The hot water tap issues mineral water, yellow-tinged. The bathtub is installed rather high.
My notes also say "stupid bed cover".
At around 5 PM, with the sun still high in the sky, and having been ampy forewarned that a group that included at least 10 women was arriving, the hotel was able to offer nothing from their menu of spa-related treatments, nor anything having to do with doing the hair or nails. I guess staff goes home, and that is that. Our euros could not be spent.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I am only sorry we stayed one night...
We reached the area for family reasons, beside finding a cute city with personal history attached to it. The hotel was a good place to land in after a though flight and broken car.
The hotel staff was really helpful to accommodate our needs and even with no connecting room found a family solution for us.
The spa was really nice and the swimming pool relaxing.
We ate both a good dinner and breakfast was in the open air with good variety of food.
In short - I hope more people will come to this city and enjoy what it has to offer and know a really nice hotel and staff will be there for them.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This nice professional spa is located in a town known throughout history for their mineral hot springs. The Romans, who always appreciated a good hot spring, built a good sized bath complex, said to be the second largest in Bulgaria on one of the local springs. Strimon also takes advantage of the natural springs and has created a nice facility. My room was small, but plenty big enough for one person and was of reasonable décor. The staff was professional, some speaking the best English I heard in Bulgaria. The prices were very reasonable. For a one night stay, 4 meals, 4 spa treatments, 2 trips to the mineral bath and pool, and bicycle rental I paid 125 Euro (for one person). The desk clerks answered many questions for me and helped me make arrangements to get to my next destination…which was very difficult and traveling in the Balkans can be very complicated unless you are going from large city to large city. My biggest complaint with the spa is that the staff didn’t do a very good job of recommending sites to see in the city or providing me with good directions. A simple map would have done wonders, but they could not seem to be persuaded to provide me with one or even to write down the directions. All in all, I had a nice day and a half, but wished I could have seen more of what Kyustendil had to offer.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo