“hitty missy”

Dining options: Reservations
durham
“hitty missy”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

this time we dined with our kids, I feel that there is always a long wait for orders to be taken and then we were offered someone elses food (mistakenly) this caused our son who has autism great distress!' food gone! food gone!' by the time his food did arrive he was upset and we really wanted to leave. the sunday lunch is average and the staff are usually busy, busy chatting around the till area which is situated strangely in the middle of the restaurant! this is really off putting and deters me a lot. the attitude of some of the young staff is 'couldn't care a less' and that too is off putting. upshot? only go if you're starving and nowhere else is open.

• Visited May 2013

Durham, United Kingdom
“Not great, poor food”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Went here today with a large party, had booked for 12 and got there early, the pub does not open it's doors til 12, so no chance of a drink while we waited. The restaurant has been done out very nicely and I have to say after reading the reviews about the staff I wondered what they would be like, they were all very young but they could not be faulted in any way, very quick very polite good service. The food however was a different matter, a few of us got beef and to be honest it was like chewing old shoe leather, awful, you could not swallow it, I got 3 slices, left one, struggled to eat one and gave one away. The gravy comes in little boats that you serve cream in for desserts so we had about 8 of these, the roast potatoes we all said had a strange taste like they had been steeped in vinegar, and the vegetables of which there were plenty were blasted within an inch of their lives in the microwave. The desserts were expensive £5 plus for ours and I don't mind paying this if you get a decent size but believe me you do not, they are very small, but were ok. Overall not good quite pricey for what you get and would not return.

• Visited June 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Went with friends on a Friday night. Haven't been since it reopened and thought it was very inviting.
The menu was good and we had a fish and chip special with good battered fish, chips, peas, bread and butter then tea or coffee with home made cakes. All for £9.95

We all thought good value and very tasty

Staff also very good.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank couldbeyou
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Not bad for pub grub”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I ate at this restaurant with some friends. We all ordered different things from the menu including salmon, scampi and lasagne and we were all quite happy with the food we were served. The menu had changed since the last time we were here. The restaurant offers different specialities on various nights. Tonight, there was a tapas menu, but we chose from the main menu.

The main courses were nicely cooked - plates were, for the most part, emptied! The desserts were tasty and nicely presented. For the four of us, the bill came to just over £61 - about £15 per head - which I think was a reasonable price for a two-course meal and drinks (though none of us were drinking alcohol).

Only two little niggles - firstly the peas that came with my scampi were of the frozen variety (sorry, but I really can see no excuse for not having fresh vegetables) and secondly, none of the staff came over before we had finished our main courses to ask if everything was OK.

On the whole, however, I was quite happy with the meal. We have booked to go again next month.

• Visited March 2013
Durham
“Terrible service!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Called in for a drink after finding out it had reopened following refurbishment. My wife went to find a seat whilst I went to the bar. As soon as she sat down, she was abruptly asked by a member of staff if she had a reservation and as we didn't she was told all of the tables were reserved. Meanwhile I stood like a lemon waiting for someone to serve me, one barmaid serving and she was clearly stressed, lots of other waiting staff standing about. After 15 minutes we gave up, never to return again. Place clearly doesn't want customers just coming in for a drink and from the food we saw being served, it looked disgusting (heaped bowls overflowing with sauce). How many more newly re-opened establishments get things so wrong, try starting with customer service.

1 Thank rowtietowers