“afternoon tea”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2018

I bought an afternoon tea experience for two at christmas from virgin experiences and the nearest place to our home was Lumley Castle. We thought that would be fabulous so i booked it for Sunday 9th July 2018 at 3pm and seeing as my daughter wanted to join us I rang to add another on. We arrived just before 3pm and were directed not taken to our table in the living room area. We sat 20 minutes before a young sullen girl came over to ask if we wanted tea or coffee. The tea arrived then our afternoon tea arrived. The sandwiches were limp with hardly any filling in them the salmon and cucumber had a teaspoon of salmon along the edge of the sandwich and two soggy lumps of cucumber.The other sandwiches were as limp and soggy and a strange combination of filling which werent really edible. The fruit scones were the best things on the menu with the clotted cream and jam. There were also very small little cakes which werent really nice at all. The sullen girl did not come back to us and ask if everything was okay with the food there was no interaction at all. I thought that we would enjoy the whole ambience of the castle and its surroundings but couldnt wait to leave we spent under an hour there totally dissapointed and would not return

2  Thank jeannie636

Reviewed July 4, 2018 via mobile

Went to the Black Knight for Sunday lunch with my wife and a friend, our friend lives in Chester or Street. The food was lovely and well presented, the staff were very friendly. The setting was amazing, though we found it a little difficult to find the restaurant once we were inside the building. In all, it was a very pleasant couple of hours!

Reviewed July 2, 2018

Attended event and certain dietary needs given well in advance and then confirmed few days prior. Terrible experience. But to be honest that was opinion of others who did not have any dietary needs. Cold, dry , bland food , Then "forgot" about food for those with intolerance s etc etc. Ended up with upset tum and sickness. Staff young and totally inexperienced. Wont ever return here

1  Thank nagevog
Reviewed June 23, 2018

Lovely setting and super after the afternoon tea to sit in the peaceful courtyard but the tea itself, oh dear...
Sandwiches Ok but pretty bland. Scones were small and dry. Carrot cake (?) also dry and heavy. Choc brownie heavy and cloying.Didnt finish the sweet assortment.
Staff nice.
Music in the restaurant too loud for my taste.

Reviewed June 20, 2018

The Black Knight restaurant is located within the Lumley Castle Hotel, which is a superb hotel I have reviewed separately. The restaurant offers a atmospheric historical setting, we had a lovely friendly welcome and service was excellent throughout. The menu is not extensive but offers enough choice to suit most pallets. Our meals were cooked to perfection and were well presented, I do however have one gripe, We ordered a bottle of red wine which was very cold, I prefer my red wine served at room temperature. That said we had a lovely meal and would recommend this restaurant.