“Don't trust your booking an outside event.”
Review of Lambton Arms

Lambton Arms
“Don't trust your booking an outside event.”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

As residents of Chester-le-St we support(ed) local concerns & pubs. Until last Friday.... After several weeks of discussing the upcoming 'ghost hunt' at least 10 times with the 'Manager' we were met with some surprises.

We admittedly booked via a 3rd party, advertised in the pub, and they have received similar review don't worry about that but the attitude of the 'Manager' was nothing short of rude, arrogant & money grabbing!

When met with an issue surrounding the booking, the 'Manager' was like 'well I've got a two grand booking upstairs' and dismissed the outside event out of hand, saying something about not knowing it was on & basically sling ya hook!!

This wasn't the worst: she then continued to drink her beer and laugh loudly at the problem and used several expletives to dismiss the event. On approaching her to voice my concern, firstly as a local, secondly as someone she knew damn well had booked this because she had stopped to ask us about it several times, she again laughed & said 'look, £100 against 2k, what can I say?'

Rude, obnoxious, poor manager in a bland, 90's throwback of a pub (reopened a month ago...shouldn't have bothered with attitudes as poor as hers)

We will NEVER be going in there again nor will our relatives who regularly used it as a stopping point overnight.

Change your management along with the layout next time owners!! She isn't doing much for bonhomie or local trade. Awful!

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank TheTattooedOnes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
durham
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed here as my friends were getting married in chester le street, room was massive for the price, only problem was the noise, I came in the early hours, and it was constant, I dont know if this could be helped with double glazing, cant expect any other in chester on a weekend, overall great value for money :)

Room Tip: not sure if there are back facing rooms, if i stay again i will ask this, as the front street is ver...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Booked this having read the reviews left by others on Tripadvisor. My wife and I make a stop in this area once every month and so are always on the lookout for a decent, reasonably priced hotel. When I booked this place over the phone the manageress was very friendly and helpful, but unfortunately on the day we were due the other staff were not quite so accommodating. We had been travelling for two days straight and were tearing up the A1 towards Chester-le-Street. I rang to confirm that we would be arriving around 7.15pm and asked what time they stopped serving meals. I was told 7pm. I said that I was a guest and would be looking for some food but I was simply told to go to the Italian along the road, or the 'other pub two minutes away' that served food until 9pm.
I engaged warp drive in the car and we arrived in Chester-le-Street at about 6.50pm. BRilliant just in time to order food before they shut, but not so brilliant was the pedestrianised Front Street that I could not drive up. I could see the hotel, I just couldn't get to the car park! I tried to turn around and after a couple of minutes I rang the hotel again for directions. I got the same young man who I'd spoken to earlier and he started directing me in. I asked about dinner, since it was only 5 minutes to 7 and he replied that "..the cook had gone home..". I said that it was not even 7pm and his reply was, "I can't tell the cook when to go home or stay".

We parked in the car park as directed. The reception up the stairs was closed and a sign advised us to check in at the main bar. Now, I don't know about you, but I most certainly do not want to stand at a busy pub bar, tired from the drive, a bit frazzled, and loaded down with bags, coats, laptop etc whilst I have to check-in.

The stairs and corridor leading to the room were old, tired and musty despite valiant efforts with the air fresheners.
The room was large and airy but - due to the age of the building - the floor had a bad hump and roll in it which made us stagger every time we walked past the end of the bed. The bed was not bad, but the carpet was old and worn; it did not reach the corners properly and was badly finished at the door thresholds..
The bathroom was also large and airy but the tiling was amateur and poorly finished, the place could have done with a proper clean, and there was evidence of neglect everywhere. Cracked tiles not replaced, a broken bath plug fragment left dangling on the plug chain and the replacement plug just left loose on the bath - no attempt to attach it to the chain at all. This was marginally better than the basin plug which had no chain at all and was likewise just placed on the basin.The loo was in dire need of an overnight soak with bleach, the limescale was historic. and the loo seat would not stay up for a man to have a standing pee, it was fitted that badly.
There was basic tea and coffee facilities although the original kettle had been replaced at some point in the past and the new one did not fit at the tea/coffee station and so was positioned on a side table under the tv on the far side of the room from the beverages.
The room could have done with a bit more lighting, there were only two bedside lamps and a standing lamp.The lighting to the dressing table was non-existent so my wife had to do her hair and make-up standing in an odd corner.
There was no way to secure the door once we were inside so anyone with a master key could have entered our room, a security lock would have been useful.

The main bar is huge, not the family type local Inn that I had imagined it would be, much more like a large Wetherspoon type place. A disco started up at about 8pm and it was LOUD! We went elsewhere for the evening for a drink and only returned after the bar and disco were closed. If we'd fancied an early night we'd never have got a wink of sleep. Our room was directly above the main street and later that night we were kept awake for ages by drunken singing, drunken shouting, drunken swearing, drunken fighting and the inevitable police sirens

We had booked breakfast and it was ok but I'm not sure why my bill had charged me £3 for 6 slices of toast when all I got was two slices.
Having said that, we paid only £45 all in so I should not be too critical.

The hotel was shutting for three weeks for refurbishment the day we left, but apparently it is the downstairs that's getting it, not the rooms. Piece of advice? Spend a few quid tidying up the rooms and corridors.
Would we stay again? Probably not, but if you're looking for a lively, reasonably priced basic hotel then you could do a lot worse.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT overlooking the main street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dangerousbryman
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was a conveniently located stop-over at a reasonable price. The room was quite nicely decorated but the bathroom could have done with a good scrub and although the bed was comfy, the pillows on the bed were really uncomfortable and lumpy. It didn't make for a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Heywood, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

as it was the weekend of the great north run we just managed to book into this hotel without having to pay increased prices like all the other hotels. big clean room and a very good breakfast would stop here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
merseyside
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We came upto Durham for a family birthday so we in fact rented 3 rooms,no complaints from anyone clean honest accomodation that you cant find fault with that is very reasonably priced. All the staff very nice and the full english was very well made indeed. We would all stay again if visting again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MerseysideMartin
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

have become a regular visitor to this bed and breakfast. Stayed bank holiday weekend for 2 nights. superior room, 4 poster bed and jaccuzzi bath. rooms never fail to impress. although a little tired we have been told they are to be updated soon. we only paid £40 per night. Above a pub on a busy street and can be noisy at times but noise usually disappears by midnight. Not far from durham and Newcastle and on a main bus route. Plenty of shops and pubs to visit. Central for most main areas. Free car parking and wifi. Extensive pub menu and lovely breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tara42ne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester-le-Street
Lumley Castle Hotel
#6 of 6 in Washington
Moorings Hotel
Moorings Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chester-le-Street

Been to Lambton Arms? Share your experiences!