“Relaxing BH weekend.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sedgeford
The Hideaway - Wild Luxury
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My friend & I have just returned home from Pigeon Wood, all be it 25 miles away (we wanted to avoid the 'are we there yet' from the kids & as it was only a long weekend & we hadn't lived in the area for long so still lots of new areas to explore, we thought Pigeon Wood was perfect) We had a fantastic weekend & found everything we needed in our 'tent'. We loved the challenge of starting the fire every day & got it down to a fine art even though neither of us had done anything like that before. Our children loved all of the outdoor space to run around in & visiting the chickens. They were so excited to find eggs in the morning one day. The children made friends with the neighbouring children & got lots of fresh country air. With children the only tip I would say is to take something familar from home for bedtimes as they both got a little scared from the sound of the wind & rain that was around at bedtime. We did & it helped alot to settle them. The beds are so comfy & warm & yes it got cold at night but under the duvets you wouldnt know. Carrie came to check on us each morning & was very friendly & offered advise on the area for local events going on. The cool box was great & we fitted all of our fresh food in there, however in summer or for a longer trip we would of made full use of the local shops as I wouldn't liked to of kept anything longer than 2 days in there just for food safety reasons but we did visit Bircham Mill for some fresh bread & enjoyed bacon sandwiches for breakfast on our last morning. We have decided to revisit & make it a regular weekend away every year in May because we had so much fun.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Just came back from a weekend away for my 21st. All i can say is it was amazing. Milly (one of the staff) was very helpful. They helped us with our luggage to the safari tents ( as it was a bit muddy) from then she gave us really helpful information.

The tents are immaculate. Very clean. It is defiantly "Glamping" at its best. They provide all the kitchen utensils you will need, hot water bottles ( we defiantly used them) fire wood, etc. The shower was great.

If you are looking to get away for a few days or a week this is great. You also get 10% discount at the farm shop just at the entrance of wild luxury. The food is delicious. Great to buy fresh fruit, juice and bacon to have in the morning while someone else is starting the fire!

When leaving you will become an expert at starting fires!

They have a cute little honesty shop with marshmallows, toilet roll, baked bean etc so if you need to you just sign it out and pay at the end.

All in all, amazing time and will defiantly be returning for a longer stay.

A visit to Thornam Bay is a MUST!
Also once they found out it was my birthday I was surprised one day with a birthday cakes, card and two bottles of Cava from the team at Wild Luxury.

Great holiday, great people

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Just got back from a lovely Bank Holiday break with the family at Wild Luxury. What a brilliant time! The lodges are really well appointed and set in a beautiful part of the world.

Some great things to do all within driving distance and the welcome pack lists them all, so there's something for everyone and all weathers.

Our girls loved collecting eggs from the chickens, and the secure, car-less site meant we were happy to let them roam.

One word of caution: we were there at easter and the weather turned back towards wintry. The tent got bloomin cold so make sure you pack for it. The beds are very snug and cosy though!

All in all, a great stay and we'll be back again no doubt!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I cannot praise this place enough- we (2 couples) stayed for a long weekend, 3 nights in August 2011.

The tent is so well equipped, the Aga style wood burning oven is fab- it's so fun to get it lit first thing in the morning and keep it going to brew your tea and cook your breakfast etc.
Get back to basics, take time over things, enjoy the time it takes to get your cup of tea ready, it's the whole charm of the place. Sit on the terrace with some champagne and local cheese and bread- its pure bliss.
We slept amazingly in the tent- the bed was super comfortable- we opted to pay the small extra for sheets and duvets etc, well worth it.
The shower is amazing - lovely hot water, great pressure and that home comfort that does make this true Glamping.

Carrie comes and checks your ok, and if you need anything- she is so friendly and helpful. The dog is lovely too, friendly, comes and explores you and the tent but in no way are they intrusive.
Chickens come and visit too - which is a great novelty.
You can order your food from her if you like, or else you can go to any of the amazing local villages nearby and buy local food - from amazing local fishmongers, butchers and bakers. Not only getting fresh, quality food, but helping support the local community.
Please avoid any mass processed outlets like Tesco on this trip- it's really not the point and so unnecessary.

Enough is done for you / provided for you that you feel like you are being looked after and that it is a luxury stay, yet there is still enough left for you to do- like gather more wood from the little shed and start the fire yourself. This way you feel you are camping and 'fending'!
You can borrow board games from the shed, you can borrow bikes and explore the local fields, you can sit around a campfire, look out to the picturesque Norfolk scenery - you won't ever feel bored.

Believe it or not, I have one negative point- we went for a long weekend, and only noticed on the week we were going (all londoners with busy lives, not reading the welcome packs properly) that check in wasn't till 4pm, and check out is 10am - this can really cut short a long weekend.
They were accommodating and did help out where they could in letting us check out later on departure. On arrival we stopped for a lovely local lunch on the way there however, we would have rather just got to the site and properly started the trip.
I also completely understand the need to service the tents between guests and that this is just a small scale site - which is the charm. It's just something to be wary of when planning your trip.

I haven't stopped recommending this to all friends and colleagues, we had the best long weekend ever, it's pure Glamping experience and will definately be visiting again next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank CharlesForde
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I stayed in one of these tents/lodges with my five year old son and a dog in the middle of October. We had a great time, and would recommend the experience to anyone. This part of Norfolk is beautiful, and the location of the site means the tents more or less face the west, giving you some fabulous sunsets. We saw hares and deer, and went to sleep listening to the owls in the woods behind.

The tents are really well-equipped, and the cupboard bed was great for a child. The temperature in Norfolk plummeted while we were there, but the stove kept the place warm.

We had great service throughout our stay. The owner visited us in the morning and evening to check that we were OK and happy, or wanted anything, and we really appreciated this. Given the site is miles away from the main farmhouse, this seemed a completely reasonable way of making sure things were running properly. He also came quite late on in the evening when we had a problem with the tent.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2011

As a non-camper, I was so impressed with our stay at Wild Luxury that I'm not sure I can do it justice! The tents and the site were immaculately clean and the lodges are very well equipped-nothing had been overlooked and we were extremely comfortable. My husband and I stayed for a long weekend in October. Traffic held us up so we were a bit later than expected and were very touched that Carrie had taken our wood down for us as I had called to let her know we were delayed and Jonathan popped down that evening to check we were okay and had mastered the woodburner. Next morning Carrie didn't disturb us as she realised we were having a lie in! The beds are so cosy and snug, we had all that we needed so it was very difficult to leave the tent to investigate the area! Following Carrie's advice, we got up early the next day to catch high tide at Holkham Sands and she was right, the beach is stunning and stretches as far as the eye can see! We loved the fire pit outside the lodge and proudly cooked on it. We felt like big kids collecting the wood in the wheelbarrow and stoking the flames! A lovely relaxing experience which I would wholeheartedly recommend. Thank you everyone. :)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The lodge was lovely and I would certainly go back with a group of friends, but as a couple I think it’s rather expensive for just the two of you.

The area is stunning; I could go on and on about how lovely the beaches are.

My only downside were the owners. On the last night the owners had a big party at one of the tents and it felt a bit odd them being there especially as at about 8:30pm they interrupted our evening to check up on us and did so throughout our stay. I would say it could be that they were just checking we had everything we needed but it didn’t come across that way.

Also if you do take your dog be warned that the field the tents are in aren’t totally fenced off and the dogs can get in and out of the tents when the zips are closed as we found out when the owners dog came into our tent when it was closed. However it is a lovely dog so wasn’t a bother to us.

But all in all a lovely place to stay and something a bit different.

Room Tip: There is a supermarket in Hunstanton - use that and not the 'pantry'. And go to Brancaster...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Laura J
JonathanB777, Owner at The Hideaway - Wild Luxury, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Many thanks for your review and we are obviously pleased that you rated us as very good and would like to return.

You raised a few points which I would like to clarify. Staying at Wild Luxury costs about the same as one of the better local B&B’s and we think this is very reasonable. However, in fairness if you are staying as a group it works out in the region of £20 per person per night which is great value.

The fresh food in the pantry is primarily supplied by the local farm shop who source their produce from Norfolk farms, local fisherman and specialist suppliers. They have won numerous awards including being the 2011 “Food Hero” winner. As you rightly point out there is also a local Tescos but we hope part of the fun of this sort of holiday is being able to conveniently enjoy local produce. Many of our guests love the convenience of the service where fresh local provisions are delivered at shop prices straight to their lodge.

On the Sunday night Carrie asked 8 people who had helped out through the season to a barbeque from 6-10pm. I don’t think this qualifies as a ‘big party’ or particularly odd. It was a beautiful evening and I am pleased that someone from Wild Luxury went and said hi to guests as they enjoyed sitting around the campfire. I am not entirely sure what they could be checking in the dark but apologise if it was perceived in that way.

We visit all our guests to check that they have everything they need every morning and evening. It is always a difficult balance between being available and not imposing. I have checked the feedback forms which all guests complete for the week that you stayed. To the question “How well do you think you were looked after by the Wild Luxury Team?” the responses included “very attentive and caring” “friendly and welcoming” “nothing too much trouble” and “helped to make our stay super special”. However I accept that this was not your perception of matters and we are sorry about that.

We always look to try and ensure that our guests have a special time and are glad that you had a good stay with us and will take account of your comments in the future.

Been to The Hideaway - Wild Luxury? Share your experiences!