“peace and tranquility”
Review of Magazine Wood

Magazine Wood
Ranked #1 of 4 Sedgeford B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Just returned from 3 nights at Magazine Wood, was more than we expected, warm, cosy and very relaxing. The breakfasts were very pleasant and a lovely variety of things to choose from. We hope to return again in the summer to get even more out of the lovely surroundings.

Room Tip: Our stay was in Walkers fantastic view to enjoy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jillanjohn

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just got back from my second visit to this magical retreat
Stayed last july in 2012 and now in october
Everything perfect and the hosts (pip and jonathan) are still the best i have ever encountered
We will be back in the spring to recharge our batteries for the third time !!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
JonathanB777, Owner at Magazine Wood, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

It was lovely to see you again. We have a growing band of guests who share our fondness for Magazine Wood and regularly visit which makes it all worthwhile.

Many thanks and see you next year

Reviewed October 21, 2013

It's lovely spot, our room was large with a great outlook and only a few very minor quibbles. I was even tempted into the bath..very rare! The room only has the bed and a chaise, and so if you both want to sit to read, or watch TV, only one person can use the chaise (which is not particularly comfortable)..the other must sprawl on the bed or sit on a dining chair.
This has been noted before.
The breakfast was in retrospect a real letdown. It does tell you on the website that it's a continental style breakfast (without the cheeses and meats), but in reality it's the same as a basic tourist hotel, but DIY and with packet butters and mini jams. Six pounds each for a cooked breakfast....that should be part of the deal. Honestly for the money, it should be better than that.
This has been noted before.
As I said, it's a very nice place indeed, but read the info well before you go!
Well, it seems that I am well in the minority making any sort of criticism, but Trip Advisor should be to tell it as one sees it, should it not?...and I really should scrutinse web sites in absolute detail before booking.
I have re-read this review and consider it to be fair.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marmiter

I am glad that you loved the accommodation and setting and rated us as very good. Our revised breakfast menu was introduced two years ago and I think you are referencing our guest book when you say that yours is a minority view as we have had really good feed-back.

We offer our ‘Anytime breakfast’ which includes real coffee, a lovely selection of teas, 100% squeezed orange juice, delicious granola, Dorset cereals (alongside some old favourites) croissants, toasts, Tiptree jams, marmalade, honey, as well as a delicious home- made fresh fruit salad. All ready for you whenever you want. We have never had a request for cold meats or cheeses.

We do also offer a great selection of hot options that range from the customary full English with our own hens eggs (and every possible combination) as well as kippers, smoked salmon etc. This is cooked specifically to order and slow cooked rather than flash fried in oil. Again you can order this to come to your or terrace , whenever you like, albeit at a small additional cost.

We don’t ‘build-in’ the cost of a three course breakfast into our room tariffs. This is fairer for those who want a lighter more relaxed start to the day and if you do want a delicious hot breakfast on any of the days you stay, it is always freshly available.

We proudly detail our breakfast choices on our website and reference them within our pre-arrival Guest Welcome Pack and the reservation statement itself so I'm not sure how you missed it but we will look at this again.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just back from two nights staying in The Barn ( adjoining rooms) at Magazine Wood. It's even better in the flesh! Will definitely be recommending it to everyone we know. Without doubt the rooms are up there with the best we have ever stayed in. Well done Pip and your team we loved it. See you next year.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. Booking both rooms in the barn as a duo and having your own little house party is becoming increasingly popular and I'm very pleased you loved it.

Best wishes

Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and i stayed for four very enjoyable nights over our Wedding Anniversary ,and really
had a great stay. All in our room was as good as it gets ,and Pip and her Husband made us feel
welcome , They catered for our special requests , and we had very good Breakfasts .
The place itself is in a lovely area and great for a walk in the country .
Good Pub not far away , what more do you want !
would recommend Magazine Wood to anyone who likes a peaceful location and comfort .

Patrick and Denise

Room Tip: Not Applicable
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
JonathanB777, Owner at Magazine Wood, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

We were delighted that you chose Magazine Wood for such a special celebration and had such a lovely time. Hope to see you gain one day.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Magazine wood actually looked like it does on the photos on website, luxurious,immaculate, clean, breathtaking views. We will go again, I left a dress in the wardrobe and they bent over backwards to get it to me. Breakfast was delicious, could go on forever and still not recommend this place enough!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you very much for your comments. I am happy to say that many of our guests comment on the fact that our website gives a really accurate view of what to expect at Magazine Wood. We have all experienced times when the promotion and the place seem to have very little in common which can be very frustrating. I am glad you had such a good stay.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Firstly, I need to make clear that I have never actually stayed at Magazine Wood – it probably is (and looks as though it is) a lovely to place to stay but…… My now husband and I had booked to stay for a night at the end of August for a one night mini-moon. We got married on a Friday and we had to be back at work on the Monday but we wanted to go away somewhere peaceful on the Saturday just to have a little break – we were really looking forward to it after all the wedding madness. I booked direct via their website and received a booking confirmation stating plain to see the booking with all the usual details, accommodation, check-in times and my credit card payment details. Like most people nowadays, when booking online, if the place is available you book, receive an email confirmation and that’s it.

For some reason, call it a sixth sense, I decided to call Magazine Wood two days before my wedding day just to check all was confirmed – I was shocked when they told me that they had no recollection of my booking on the phone and were already booked up that weekend. The man I spoke to wasn’t sympathetic at all and told me the owner was away and that he would call me back - the owner did call me back and I explained the situation to him. He was quite defensive at first and told me that they don’t take bookings for one night only and if it was booked I would have received a welcome pack email. I explained that at no point during the booking process was I led to believe that I couldn’t stay for less than 2 nights and that the booking went through and I received a confirmation email! In the end, he come round to seeing it from my side and said their online booking system must have been at fault and that he would look into it but could not currently do so as he was away and that he would deal with it when he was back - which wouldn’t be until the night before my wedding! Organising a wedding is stressful enough and you at least want to know if and where you are going away and leaving it until the night before my wedding day was too late so I had to book an alternative hotel in an entirely different location all together. I notified the owner that it was just too late and that we had found alternative accommodation to then be told he would look into it for us and rest assured would get back to us and sort something out. Well, it has been a month and I still haven’t heard from the owner. I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt and that he will try to compensate us in some way but I have heard absolutely nothing. This is a terrible way to treat people and added a great deal of stress to the couple of days leading up to my wedding frantically trying to book somewhere else last minute!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank M R
JonathanB777, Owner at Magazine Wood, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

I am so sorry that you weren’t able to stay at Magazine Wood. We weren’t defensive, we were just completely baffled. We never received a booking request from you, no deposit was ever processed and no reservation statement confirming this was ever sent to you. Furthermore we never offer single night Saturday stays in August and the dates you referred to had already been booked many months previously.

Nevertheless, as this was such a special occasion and even though we were actually abroad on our annual family holiday, I did offer to organise accommodation that you would be happy with. I duly arranged the use of an amazingly romantic private 5 star converted boat house overlooking Brancaster Cove. I am sure you would have been thrilled with it but in the meantime you sent a text to say that you had sorted yourselves elsewhere.

Upon returning to the UK, I spoke with MyUKTravel who manage our web booking service and they said it was very unlikely but ultimately possible that you had received an automated acknowledgement in error. If this was the case I am sorry and it should have been clearer that this was an automated response. We have never had this problem before I have asked them to re-word this automatic email reply to clearly advise that we always provide a detailed booking confirmation and card transaction receipt within 24 hours.

It’s always disappointing to receive a negative review especially from someone who has never actually stayed with us. Please do call us if you would like to visit Magazine Wood and we will happily arrange your stay personally.

Jonathan

Been to Magazine Wood? Share your experiences!