“Luxurious Eco-friendly”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
London, United Kingdom
“Luxurious Eco-friendly”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Since a lot of the reviews here are already very detailed anyway, I will stick to the highlights. I visited around the end of summer 2013, but just got down to writing my review now.
I visited with my mother and brother and we were celebrating my mother's birthday.

Lets just say we didn't start on quite the right foot with this resort as a couple of days before our arrival we were emailed and told that the chartered flight was undergoing maintenance. We were transferred to the resort via a speed boat - and it made for quite a bumpy ride. Needless to say, by the end of the speedboat ride, my mother had a splitting headache and the other couple that was with us threw up.

However, we were greeted by Frank, the GM and our 'Friday' at the resort who quickly tried to smooth things down for us. A paracetamol was offered to my mother within 10 mins of our arrival. The no shoes policy was amazing, really grounds you to nature in some way.

The resort in itself is really eco-freindly. I believe sustainable luxury is their way of life. We stayed in hill Villa No. 54, and it was humongous (in comparison to one I stayed at in Bali). The views were beautiful - especially from the private pool. you were right at the edge of the jungle. The mosquitoes seemed to be a little bit of an issue, but really small in comparison to a lot of the other amazing offerings.

This place had one of the best breakfasts I have had at a resort - I loved everything about it. Food at the main bar was nice, and our dinner celebrating my mother's birthday at the Benz restaurant was excellent - note: let the Chef Benz know in advance if you don't eat spicy food - ours needed to be changed.
The tree pod dining experience was supposed to be the highlight when it came to the food related experiences, but I wasn't impressed solely due to the value for money. for $600 for 3 persons, the price seemed steep. The views were gorgeous though.
The chocolate room and ice cream parlour deserve a special applause - some of the ice cream flavours were mind blowing!

We only took one excursion outside of the as we were at Soneva for only 4 days and wanted to make the most of our time at the resort.

Things you shouldn't miss out on:
Watching a movie at the outdoor cinema
Getting a massage at the spa - one of the better ones I have had
Check the weekly timetable and attend activities you might be interested in - such as yoga, tea tasting, cocktail making class etc.
Make use of the beach
The chocolate room and ice-cream parlour

I totally ignored my phone for the 4 days that I was there, and didn't miss it at all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank travebuff_m
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear travebuff_m,
thank you so much for posting your review on this forum. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I am sorry that you had a bumpy ride to the resort, however, I am pleased to read that we responded swiftly within minutes of your arrival. The Treepod Dining indeed is a unique experience and the amount we charge not just covers the food and drinks served but also the fact that our treepod waiters have to undergo stringent and regular training as they need to be especially skilled to perform their duty zip lining through the jungle. I am glad that you found the experience worthwhile, though. I hope we can welcome you again soon.
Frank Grassmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Oulu, Finland
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Sorry for a long review, but I want to put in all my thoughts of this excellent resort. I was in Soneva Kiri with my wife late November early December to escape hosting a birthday party.
As a summary, the resort and people were excellent, food from good to excellent (only). Very different compared to glass and steel five star resorts. Would recommend this to everyone except people with mobility problems (there are lots of stairs) and people who are afraid of nature. Value for money ratio could have been bit better though...

Transportation:
Here is the biggest minus of them all (and from this you can guess the other ones are quite minor), I was SO expecting the flight from Bangkok to Soneva Kiri, so the normal charter from Bangkok to Trat and the following short helicopter ride were a disappointment. Hopefully they get their private plane back at some date! Soneva Kiri personnel were visibly present at Bangkok airport at the gate on arrival and on package claim during the departure to guide and help us through the immigration and to the proper gate for continuation or to airport hotel during the departure. One wish for next time though, please slow down a little! During the arrival there was another couple our greeter needed to guide through after us so we ended up walking pretty fast to the Bangkok airlines lounge. We didn’t enjoy that much after 10 hour flight.

Resort:
Arriving to the resort by boat from the airport island was nice. We did our “check-in” at the main bar, which consisted mostly of getting rid of my shoes. (My wife’s shoes were bagged already at the jetty.) This voluntary no-shoes policy was something we really enjoyed, I really hated to put them back on when leaving!
Resort itself is really much like indicated in all the pictures. Mostly open air, wooden and spread on quite large area (from main resort buildings to the beach the distance was close to one kilometer) so golf buggies are quite needed to get around. 95% of the other 5-star resorts tend to be constructed from glass, chrome and steel, Soneva Kiri distinctly goes towards luxury Robinson Crusoe style, which was incredibly relaxing. Combination of the style and distances created unprecedented amount of privacy to almost everything you did. You could hardly hear you neighbours through the jungle, let alone see them. (Our other alternative for this vacation would have been a water villa style resort in Maldives, but the privacy wouldn’t really have been there!) Many of the resort main buildings are concentrated on the same area, but then some are spread around (especially restaurant Benz which is outside the resort).
Environment wise, the resort is in jungle. So there are mosquitoes (and cicadas as previous reviewer found out) and other animals around, and short of poisoning everything around and in the resort there really isn’t a way to get around that. And the big point in the resort is to live with the environment rather than mould it to suit city tastes… To my surprise there were quite less mosquitoes than in other areas of Thailand I’ve been (Phuket, Khao Lak, Hua Hin and Bangkok) so I didn’t even need to use the mosquito repellent during our stay. This might have been due to quite a large amount of geckoes around. :-)
Checkout was easy, fast and contained no surprises (read: no surprise charges). There was one surprise though, our flight back left from the resort quite late (17:00 or so) and we needed to vacate our villa at midday. We were expecting to lie around in the beach and in main resort when we were actually given another villa to use until our flight. Cool.
There was an advice to avoid using mobile phones in public areas, and it really made a difference. E.g. during dinners lots of people nowadays keep checking news, facebook, mail and messages (and tripadvisor), here it was completely missing and made life a bit more relaxing. Of course Soneva Kiri went even beyond that and had a full page of non-scientific stuff about radio frequency radiation hazards in the villa Wi-Fi manual, which was a bit annoying.
There was some renovation happening on villa #7, which caused some slight noise on few of the days. Not really bothersome and understandable considering that most of the areas in villas are outdoors and rainy season must put quite a stress to those.
As a side note the electric buggies were tuned to quite low power and limited in speed, which made the cresting of the hills around the resort annoyingly slow. Most likely they had to do that to keep the visitors from killing themselves with them while racing around but still…

Villa:
We had a beach villa #9 (and one hill villa during the checkout day), and according to my wife it wasn’t quite like what was promised. It was more. It is huge for two people and has a huge pool! Two minibars! Piles of towels everywhere! I’ve been in some hotels and resorts where you usually get one towel per person; here there was a bunch of them. And they were fluffy and big! There were three showers, including one under open sky inside the jungle, which quickly become our favourite. And the privacy, it was absolute. It was impossible to see our neighbours, you could sometimes hear them if they were loud, but at least ours were not. (What we could see from the hill villa during our checkout day, at least that one wasn’t as private as our beach villa was. There were areas where you could see to the neighbour villa and of course vice versa.)
We had the all-inclusive package so everything in the minibars (there were two of them, filled once per day) belonged to the price.
Housekeeping was efficient and invisible during those days we went out for breakfast. During the first days we were sleeping late so we had to call them (via our Friday) to tell them to come in. Even dropped leaves were cleaned from the pool every day and the bath to the private beach was brushed as well.
Oh, the private beach. Beach villas all have a small beach in front of them which faces the gulf where the arrival jetty is. Beach is not as nice as the resorts common beach on the other side of the cape, but swimmable. There are some rocks and you need to wade out a bit before the water becomes deep enough though.

Food:
I’d rate the food from good to excellent. There was naturally quite heavy emphasis on the local seafood which was very tasty, but most western foods were not on the same level. With one exception, if you get a chance to go on organized dinner activity called “The Laboratory”, do go. Idea there is that the View main chef and sommelier create a four-five course dinner for up 10-12 people, where all the foods and wines are not disclosed until the end. Menu and wines changes every time depending on what are the best ingredients they get and are in mind to try. They expect all participants to write down their impressions, and there is long discussion about them at the end. Food there was the best of our trip and we loved it, even though the other participants were wine experts while we are really not (come on, Finland is known for distilled alcohol, not wines. :-) ).
The restaurants in the resort are “The View”, which has more European style foods. One minus for them is that the lights (candles) at the tables are not bright enough to read the menu and wine list.
Restaurant “Benz” is outside the resort and has a changing set menu of 6-9 courses. Food there is more traditional Thai. Transportation there is supposed to be by boat but for some reason (low tide?) we were taken there by car.
Once a week there is a barbeque at the resort beach with huge selection of appetizers, meats and seafood for main courses (which they prepare on request) and very wide selection of desserts. By the way, this was first time I’ve seen a sommelier at BBQ. Beach bar/restaurant is also open for lunch or just for drinks every day.
Some dinners are served in the main area as well; we had this “Asian street market” there during our first evening. Lunch and breakfast are served on this restaurant every day. You can also order food from the main bar.
Most of these dining venues are open on alternate evening, i.e. when View is open the Benz isn’t, but it varies.
In addition of these there is the treepod dining, where you are hoisted up to a tree in a basket with space for 4-6 people (private reservations only) for dinner or lunch. We had dinner in there, but unfortunately the weather was bit cloudy that evening and we didn’t get a proper sunset… Food there was ok, experience being more important.
And of course you can order food to your villa as well, the menu there is huge!
These last two (treepod and in-villa dining) are not included in the all-inclusive (nor are drinks outside meals), but that is clearly stated everywhere.
Biggest minus for me was that I never managed to get my breakfast eggs over-easy, they were always over-well (once over-hard), even after specifically complaining about them.

Beach:
As I said the villa beach was good enough, but the real beach on the other side of the cape was excellent. You’d want to use your buggy to get there (there seemed to be bikes available as well) since the distances from villas is close to one kilometre. There is a full restaurant and bar at the beach and loungers set quite widely apart. Nothing like throngs at the Phuket beaches! Sand is white and there are no rocks in the water. Sea was also deeper here than in front of beach villas, but not dangerously deep. In contrast to what some other reviewers have said, the beach was clean during our stay and every day we were there, there were also two guys with a cart collecting what little trash there was on the tideline.
You can also get lots of water sport equipment from the beach to use (kayaks, SUP-boards, etc.). Some people were using those; we enjoyed cold beer and good books.

Movies:
Yes, there is an outdoor movie theatre at the resort. They have two screenings on about 4 days per week, for those other days you can book it for private screenings. We went there during our last evening (they were showing “The Beach”, where Leonardo DiCaprio goes mad on paradise island in Thailand :-) ) and it was nice. The movie experience outdoors was excellent, the premises only ok. (The loungers were damp due to the water condensing on them late in the evening. Towels were provided though.)

Excursions:
There are a lot of excursions available (up to one really expensive trip to Angkor Wat), including snorkelling trips other reviewers have mentioned in not so good terms. We only took one of them, the Koh Kood Experience, which is basically a drive around the island. Visit of a fishing village Ao Salat, back down to the main village on the western side of the island and a swim at the Klong Chao waterfall. All in all, a nice trip. At least some of the excursions belong to the all-inclusive package.

Spa:
There is a Six Senses spa on the premises which we used once. We had the oriental massage for a couple and really enjoyed it. I don’t know how it compares to other spas, since I’ve only been in few, but it was very relaxing.
However, if they had been at the pier when we arrived or been offering in some other way at that time, I’d have loved to get some kind of jetlag treatment at that time. However being too lazy to contact them we settled for a short nap at that time. They could get much more business if they would offer their services during the arrival! On the other hand it was nice that they were not pushy with their sales!

Weekly timetable:
They publish an A4 every week containing all the things happening during that week. Which restaurants are open, what movies are shown, what excursions are available and are there any special activities arrange. However during our later week we only got it on Wednesday when the previous one ended on Sunday.

People:
Everything in Soneva Kiri is about service. People there are incredible! Thai people are very pleasant and polite and everyone in Soneva Kiri went even beyond that.
Chompoo (our “Friday”) very efficiently organized everything we needed and made suggestions on what to do on which days. She was very nice, friendly and capable. Our only problem was that since we were there only to relax, we didn’t have enough for her to do.
People at the main bar, where we had a drink or two every evening after dinner, very also were warm and attentive.
And last but not least Kai was very friendly and always visible. He was greeting people in every possible place and seemed to remember names of everyone after a single introduction; he more than filled Frank’s shoes during his absence. Bloody guy even congratulated me on my birthday on chance encounter on the resort.

Room Tip: Beach villas (at least #9) are VERY private.
3 Thank Petri S
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear ParaUnSite,
Thank you so very much for posting a very comprehensive review on this forum. I am delighted about your positive impression and that in summary you felt that "everything in Soneva Kiri is about service, the people there are incredible! Thai people are very pleasant and polite and everyone in Soneva Kiri went even beyond that." I will not hesitate to share your comments with my team who will be happy to receive this praise as it serves them as a well deserved motivation and recognition.
I agree with you that the unavailability of our resort plane is disappointing but we are hopeful that all the necessary bureaucracy with the aviation authorities will be overcome soon and we will be up in the air again soonest. Our plane is ready to fly already now... Just waiting for the paperwork...
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 3, 2014

It’s difficult for me to reflect on my time at Soneva as it was one of frustration, anger, and left me in utter disbelief.

Upon arrival, we were initially intrigued by the helicopter and subsequent boat ride to the resort (it was supposed to be a private plane to eliminate a transfer in Trat, but supposedly the plane was not allowed to fly). No doubt, the location is quite remote and beautiful.

We were greeted by our “Friday,” who whisked us on a golf cart to give us a tour of the grounds which are quite spread out. There is the main area where the breakfast and buffets are served, a pool area with bar and restaurant, an observatory (interesting but not staffed by a professional), and chocolate and ice cream room (fun for evening treats). They also offer an outdoor cinema, which we didn’t not utilize but felt it appeared to be well done, as well as a lovely beach with full drink and food service. As we were riding with our Friday, there was a piercing noise which sounded exactly like a fire alarm. I inquired as to what I was hearing and she replied, cicadas.

We have had many experiences with cicadas and other insects and animals which make noise, but we had never encountered a noise at this level. Setting the noise aside, we were eventually driven to our villa which was quite large and comfortable. In fact, there are over four day beds outside along with a nice pool - clearly a welcome to spend more time outside than inside. The villa however was up in the jungle (Hill View) and much more exposed to the cicadas. Therefore, the piercing sounds were at the highest level where were were staying! The sound was so intense that my ears began cracking. I had remembered my Friday mentioning the cicadas would calm down once the sun went down. I looked at my watch at it was 1PM! Not wanting to jump to conclusions, we decided to wait it out to see if the noise level would subside. Instead of going outside and utilizing any one of the day beds, we couldn’t stand the noise and went into the bedroom. Although the doors and windows gave some relief, the sound was just incredible and I began to get a headache. I thought to myself, this couldn’t really be happening. There is no way I paid this substantial amount of money only to be cooped up in the bedroom to get some relief. After more than hour I couldn’t take it and asked my Friday to summon the manager. We purposely met him outside so he could experience the noise level we were, and soon enough we were yelling at each other to simply maintain a conversation. I explained to him that while I didn’t expect him to control nature, I did expect to stay in a location which would encourage relaxation. He nodded his head and spoke to me as if I was being high maintenance and ridiculous. We went back and forth and he never offered to do anything. Finally he asked, “what do you want me to do?” A question which should never come out of a 5 star hotel. At this level and rate, you need to be proactive and figure out a solution. I asked whether there were any other alternative villas we could utilize knowing the resort was at 50% capacity. He said he would look into it and get back to me. (Again, why did I have to ask him to do this in the first place?)

Long story short, after remaining cooped up in the bedroom we learned there was another villa available after dinner. Our Friday recommended we go the dinner buffet and then our room would be ready. Having come off of the heated discussion with the manager, we decided to let everything go and go to dinner to have a good time. We arrived at the buffet which was very well executed. The food was delicious and we felt the frustration was behind us. However, just as we were beginning to relax, we were presented with a bill for $100 each! I couldn’t believe the cost of the dinner - rather, buffet! While the food was good, I couldn’t not see how or what could substantiate $100 each. That said, we bit our tongues, paid the bill and said tomorrow will be a better day.

The next day was better as we spent most of our time on the beach and found our new villa to be substantially quieter during the cicada hours. We also booked the tree top dining which was a fun experience, although extremely over priced. Each night, there is a recommended location - The View, The Benz, Beach BBQ, etc. Our Friday was aware that I could not eat seafood, so when we were approached to eat at The Benz or at the Beach BBQ there was no attempt to offer non-seafood options. This was very disheartening and although I could have pressed the matter further and demand they accommodate me, I once again felt awkward having to broach the subject myself. Because these accommodations weren’t made we found ourselves eating (alone) at the main bar every night except the last. The food was still pricey but pretty good. It did feel strange, however, knowing that everyone else at the resort was off enjoying this and that while we felt isolated by having a seafood allergy. On our very last night, we went to the View where oddly enough we ran into a couple who informed us the Beach BBQ had copious amounts of non-seafood items. Of course, we still were questioning whether it would have been worth $100 each, but the fact that we weren’t encouraged to go was strange and uncomfortable. The View experience itself was okay. Again, the food was decent but definitely not worth the money or much of a departure from eating at the main bar other than the scenery.

One note was there were only about four bottles of wine under $100. After which the bottles quickly began moving towards $1000 and up. I frequent many high end resorts and expect high bottle prices but I also expect a range of prices.

Our highlight was certainly the beach and found it quite pleasant save the two days when stormy weather blew in enormous amounts of trash in the water and on the beach itself. While I certainly understand this is out of their control, there was zero effort to remove the trash or even to pick up the large items which could have easily been removed in a matter of minutes. I was so depressed by the amount of trash that I began picking it up myself and creating a pile by our day bed to make my area enjoyable. On the first day, there was so much trash I didn’t feel comfortable going in the water. I eventually saw a single staff member raking the sand for the small pieces of trash, but again, no attempt to remove the large items along the shore line and floating in the water.

One aspect we were looking forward to is our private snorkeling trip. Upon departure, we learned there was another couple joining us. (Wait, I thought this was private?) Since things were already in motion, we bit our tongues again and set off for our trip. We went to a small island where we can swim around. The fish activity was not that exciting which I don’t blame Soneva for, obviously, just don’t expect to see any ‘wow’ sights. After about an hour of snorkeling, I poked my head up to see four large double decker tourists boats swiftly approaching. In a matter of seconds, they had pulled up, docked, and well over a hundred tourists were climbing out of the boats and into the water. I couldn’t believe my eyes having been told that this would not only be a private tour but in a secluded area “away from tourists.” Needless to say, we ended the trip early and returned to the resort. Of course, when we noted this experience and the lack of a private tour, Soneva played dumb. We were so exhausted having to argue over the villa, bite our tongues over the buffet cost, pod dining expenses, inability to have a decent wine selection, clean up our own beach area of trash, have little to no response on accommodating our dietary concerns that we threw up our hands.

I have single handedly NEVER encountered five star prices at a five star resort and only received two to three star service. Management here has no clue what other companies provide at this level and I have no other recommendation other than to send them to their competitors resorts to see what true customer service is.

To top off of everything, when we received our bill, every single line item from the tree pod dining, to the wine, to the mini bar was overcharged. We had to go over the bill line by line with our Friday on our last day. It was so uncomfortable and unfortunate way to end our stay. In hindsight, my experience at Soneva was bizarre at best. There was no value in the amount of money required to spend, and the Friday experience was completely unnecessary.

Room Tip: Definitely inquire about the cicadas and where you can have limited exposure to their disruptive noi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
17 Thank travel_dc_2009
Frank G, Owner at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Guests, Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sonu Shivdasani. My wife Eva and I created Soneva. I would like to reply to the two reviews that you have posted on Trip advisor regarding your experience with us.
Thank you for your feedback. Whilst I am happy to read this feedback, I am nonetheless disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. Soneva Kiri is indeed “remote but accessible”.
It is the 4th largest island in Thailand after Phuket, Koh Samui and Koh Chang, Unlike the other islands which have large populations and millions of tourists every year, on Koh Kood there are only 5,000 local inhabitants and a few thousand tourists. The beauty of this remoteness is the incredible natural vegetation and the fact that there are animals. Our “Intelligent Luxury” philosophy is all about questioning and challenging what is truly luxurious for a successful, wealthy individual living in an urban environment. In an urban environment one can often forget the beauty of nature and wild life. Seeing birds and listening to Cicadas can actually be an enriching experience since, we have lost touch in cities with nature and the healing effects that this can have. I apologize that the cicardas were so loud.
I would like to apologize on behalf of Soneva Kiri, Soneva and my wife Eva and I for your interaction with our Resort Manager. He has read your feedback and taken it on board and we will be more pro active in the future, should there be any other complaints regarding Cicardas.
I was also disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with the gentleman that was manning our Observatory. We have 5 Hosts (we call our employees Hosts as we like to create a sense of ownership) within the property that are passionate about Astronomy. They have been trained over the years by an expert in Astronomy. In fact last year Buzz Aldrin the 2nd man on the moon visited us and we have other famous experts on the planet and space who have also visited and they have generally been quite impressed with the competence of our team and the Observatory.
I am sorry that you had issues with the food prices and that you were not aware that we had vegetarian options in all our outlets. Our core purpose at Soneva is to create “innovative and enlightening” SLOW LIFE, which stands for... Sustainable, Local, Organic, Wellness, Learning, Inspiring, Fun, Experiences. Given that “W” stands for Wellness and the S, L and O stands for Sustainable, Local, Organic, it is natural for us to have an extensive selection of vegetarian dishes where the ingredients are freshly cultivated in our own gardens or neighboring farms.
Our food prices are a result of surveys with our competitors and it is our understanding that our prices are similar to that of other Luxury Properties in Thailand. I am attentive to guest comments and I have very seldom in the last 5 years had comments on our food prices.
The high wine prices in Thailand are unfortunate. Please bear in mind that just the duty in Thailand is 400%. In fact, our own mark- ups on the wine is considerably less as per the industry norms. It is usual for Restaurants and Resorts to mark up wine 400% to 500%. At Soneva Kiri there are some wines where the mark up is as little as 10%.
I apologize for the state of our main beach. On the two days that there was a storm, it is unfortunate that so much rubbish is thrown in the sea. Soneva has put a lot of effort to teach and campaign not to litter our ocean. We have programs for local children to educate them on waste management; in fact David de Rothschild famous for his adventure to the large plastic island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on a plastic sailing yacht, the “Plastiki”, was recently our guest at an ecological gathering at Soneva Kiri. Our gardeners do clean our beach twice a day. This was clearly not enough.
Koh Rong where you went is a part of the National Park. Usually it is empty and this emptiness is actually rare for Thailand where resort destinations tend to have very large numbers of tourists and a lot of the great spots are crowded with boats. It is unfortunate that your visit to Koh Rong timed with a tour. Over the last 20 years, as a Resort developer and operator, I have visited many locations through out the world, and Koh Rong certainly ranks in the top five. I am, however, informed that you were not charged for this trip.
I am sorry to learn that there was an issue with the price charged for your In villa dining order. We were programming our point of sale at the time and unfortunately, the co-ordination of this was slightly delayed causing a discrepancy in the prices.
I am happy to hear that we upgraded you to one of our Cliff villas at no extra charge.
The fact that as the Owner and CEO of Soneva, that I am replying shows how seriously we take your comments and the fact that we are working towards them. Once more please accept our sincere apologies for these short comings.
Yours sincerely,
Sonu Shivdasani
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at Soneva for 7 nights. We expected one of the greatest experiences of our lives. The reality left a lot to be desired.

There are things to like – the villas are large (though the cicadas are ear-splittingly loud in the afternoons), the golf cart is fun and the wait staff/housekeeping are extremely nice. The breakfast and chocolate room are overwhelming large, but also mostly average (as was most food).

Unfortunately, there were way too many issues, starting with our final bill. We were overcharged for every mini-bar purchase, as well as the treetop dining (gimmicky and expensive but a nice setting). We also were overcharged for the pre-ordered wine for the treetop. Our personal “Friday” told us later it was available and provided us an alternative at the same price. But we were charged a higher rate on the bill. We spoke with another couple on checkout that also was significantly overcharged, which is truly disturbing for a resort of this stature.

Speaking of the “Fridays,” they appear to be a total joke. We really didn’t need someone to make “reservations” at half-empty restaurants or get us a DVD from the front desk. Her communications skills were terrible and she did not seem very interested in dealing with a few basic dietary requests we had. It seemed her job was more to milk every dollar out of us, rather than to be our advocate to ensure we have a good time.

The beach experience was generally nice but on Sunday afternoon, Soneva again showed what its priorities are. There was some trash washing up on the beach. While that is in no way Soneva’s fault, there was only one person that would occasionally pick up a small amount of trash, while there were about 10 people setting up the beach for that night’s barbeque. Why? Because enjoying the beach in the afternoon is free, but the bbq was $100 US per person.

Our snorkeling experience was also a major letdown. It is made out to be a nice, quiet experience. However, after 30 minutes, 4 massive tourist boats pull into the same area and literally hundreds of tourists pour into the same space. The 4 of us who went out from Soneva were all very disappointed that we spent twice as long getting to and from the snorkeling area than the amount of time we actually were in the water. We ended up getting a refund. They cannot control the tourists but at the very least should have explained what we were going to do more accurately rather than wasting our entire morning.

Soneva also has an impressive-looking observatory. On the night we went to check it out there was a teenager using a free iphone app to try to find some stars. He tried his best but was just another example of another activity turning into a giant letdown.

Finally, we have to call out Frank. The phones in the Villas have a button that was supposed to connect directly to him. Since he responds to so many of these reviews, we wanted to speak directly with him to share our experiences, especially since we did not really care for the attitude of the manager on duty when we shared a few of our experiences. Not only did Frank not answer – no one did. It range a few times and then a message popped up that said “hang up.”

It was a fitting capper to our week, one that should have been so much better than it actually was. We left knowing we will never consider staying at another Soneva resort ever again. We would encourage the management of Soneva Kiri to try to Four Seasons in Chiang Rai and experience for themselves what a true first-class experience is supposed to be about.

Room Tip: Don't unpack until you spend a few minutes inside and make sure you can hear yourself think.
3 Thank travel2014a
Dear travel2014a,
thank you for taking your time to post your impression of your stay with us.
Whilst I am happy to read that there were elements of the resort and your stay that you liked, I am disappointed to read that you felt that you have been over-charged for and received services that fell short of your expectation. I am very much aware that Soneva Kiri and also Soneva Fushi for that matter are two very unique and different resorts and do not compare with other more known hospitality brands. Judging by most postings on this forum we receive an overwhelmingly positive feedback from our guests. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation and also that you were not able to get through to me personally while you were staying with us. I was travelling abroad. However, I believe that you met up with my assistant on several occasions during your stay.
Best regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We celebrated my birthday with our adult children and grandchildren, at soneva kiri for one week. It was the holiday of a lifetime. We had the 6 bedroom villa, no 63, which is just unbelievable. The setting with in villa infinity pool (plus waterslide) with stunning views over the ocean, huge spacious rooms with plenty of personal space, and wonderful living areas. Perfect weather, close to beach ( a buggy ride or walk away). Beautiful beach- calm water, warm as a bath, idyllic... Fantastic service a phonecall away from our "Friday" Yai - we just had to mention something and it was done/arranged.. Fabulous food at Benz restaurant in particular, excellent kids club, eco den for under 5's
( pity it costs extra) - our 4 yr old and 18 month old loved going there to play and create stuff . Excellent childcare and educational fun programs. However, I would caution those with young children that there is no pool fencing and the pool surrounds the villa 63 , so one had to watch the kids all the time. But it was worth it!!
When there was a power failure, Yai was there making sure we had dinner and lighting to eat by. I have never encountered such amazing service at a resort.
The service didn't stop when we left - when we got to Bangkok someone met us and helped us get luggage and taxis. We left a mobile phone behind and a few other items, and Yai arranged for the parcel to be sent to Bangkok and delivered to our hotel, we couldn't believe it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear AMC602013,
Thank you very much for positing such a glowing review about your recent stay at Soneva Kiri. I am delighted to read that you had such a good time. Your point about the pool is well noted. I might like to add that we have pool alarms available at the resort which we can install upon guest requests as an additional safety measure for young children.
I hope to be able to welcoming you again to Soneva Kiri and remain until then
with best regards
Kobe, Japan
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The Soneva Kiri is simply stunning- booked it as the most expensive and luxurious hotel in a tour of the county custom-designed and tailor made to my wife’s very exacting requirements by Andaman Sky, who didn’t put a foot wrong – the itinerary customisation turned out to be a free service too, as we ended up saving money on the resorts. I can’t fault this place, nor can I think of any “buts” to put in this review. It rained hard for most of our stay, but we still had a lovely stay. The beach is glorious, white sand and crystal clear water, the rooms are huge and the food super yummy. If you can afford the best of the best, then put this resort in your itinerary.

There are so many good things to say about this hotel. The rooms are very comfortable. The private golf buggies are tons of fun and make you feel free as a bird, gave me an excuse to eat even more than normal, as I knew I wouldn’t have to stagger back to the troom afterwards. The outdoor cinema was cool, the grounds are big enough for much more rooms but have been left sparsely dotted with accommodation, rather than built up like the hotels on Patong. I loved the chocolate and ice cream shop. I could wax lyrical for hours about the food if I were good at waxing lyrical, but I ain’t, so I’ll just write that it was really, really good, my waste-line needs reducing. The room service menu was huge, you could take your pick of ay of half a dozen cuisines day and night.

The spa was the best place to detox (I was and am in need of this, too many 5 course dinners and ciggies over the years have taken their toll). The spa looks like a little village all alone in the jungle, withyou’re your senses stimulated. I slept like a babe after my treatment, which is highly unusual for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yoichi O
Dear Yoichi O,
Thank you for posting your positive review on this forum. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you felt that Soneva Kiri was the most luxurious resort and that you couldn't fault it anywhere. Much appreciated and I will share your nice comments with my team who will be happy to receive this praise.
London
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and I have just returned home from our honeymoon at Soneva Kiri and I actually don't know if I can find the words to explain just how special this place is. We have been very lucky to have visited many "top" hotels and resorts over the past few years but none of them can compare to Soneva Kiri in our view.

The resort is pretty big but they have not crammed loads of villas into the space - so there is lots and lots of space and of course privacy.

Our stay was made even more special by our fabulous Ms Friday Chompoo. She turned what would have been a great holiday into something really special. The Soneva Mr / Ms Friday concept seems to be to be executed far better here than at any other place we have been to where the resort offers a similar type of service. Of course it totally depends on who you get...

We chose an Ocean Villa and it was really amazing - huge! The bathroom is massive! As is the pool - we reckoned it was about 20m in length (ish) so many lengths were done in the pool - this is definitely no plunge pool! We did like having our own little stretch of beach in front of our villa - albeit we spent most of the time beside our pool on one of the many many outside seating areas.

The two things (other than Chompoo) that really sets Soneva apart for me is the service and the quality of the food. Pretty much every member of staff goes above and beyond what you would expect. The service is flawless but thoughtful and personal at the same time. The management team (particularly Kai who was super friendly and engaging) were always visible and took a lot of time to speak to and get to know guests. You don't feel like just another guest here - they get to know you and what you like (and what you don't). And they remember! The staff seem proud and happy to work there - and this really shows in the service they provide to the guests. Food wise - everything from the breakfasts, in room dining, restaurants and beach barbecue was delicious. We particularly loved The View - wish it had been open every night though! The chefs here are clearly very talented and are passionate about what they do.

Thankfully I discovered the ice cream parlour early on in our trip! If you like chocolate then try the Dark Chocolate Ice cream - I think (know) its the best I have ever eaten in my life (and I have tried a lot!). The chocolate room is wonderful too.

We had massages in the spa many times and they were all pretty good. Also worth going to the Observatory - cant remember the name of the girl who looks after it but, as with most of the staff, she was great and clearly very passionate.

So, I absolutely and without hesitation recommend Soneva Kiri. We are already planning our return visit next year - that, to me, is the sign of a very good holiday and a very good resort.

Thank you to everyone there for making it so special for us. Particularly Chompoo and Kai.

Room Tip: Ocean Villas are great if you value having your own stretch of beach. All of the villas - we saw a f...
1 Thank Jules_London1
Dear Jules_London1,
Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to post your impression of your stay with us. Naturally I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit so much and I feel proud of my team since you mentioned in particular the food and service being outstanding. Kai and K. Chompoo will be happy to hear about your praise, too. I will ensure that they are made aware.
The team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards