“Beautiful concept and location. Not value for money due to service and communication.”
Review of Soneva Kiri

Soneva Kiri
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Poor service overall, with 1 exception (Pom) who seemed to work so hard he was everywhere we were eating at. The rest of the staff are nice, but the speed of service was slow. The sense of hospitality was poor. And the communication was poor for departure arrangements, etc.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Peter F
Frank G, General Manager at Soneva Kiri, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Workinginsalalah,
thank you for posting your comment on this forum. I am disappointed reading that you felt that there have been inconsistencies in regards to service and the general feel of hospitality. Rest assured that your comments will be taken in the most constructive way and that they will be shared with the team. It is nice to read, though, that you felt the location and concept was meeting your expectation.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back one day to demonstrate our usual excellent levels of service and hospitality.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Soneva Kiri is excellent by any standards - a superb location, beautiful rooms the size of small (or not so small) houses with private pools, excellent restaurants (Khun Benz cooks the best Thai food I've ever eaten), first-rate spa and smiling, helpful staff. We did however have some difficulty getting information about the facilities and with their availability. The restaurant opening times in the information booklet were out of date and we were given conflicting information by different staff members - even after a week we were still unsure of what was open when. There didn't seem to be regular schedule for scuba diving and it was struggle to find out what, if anything, was planned. It also appeared that the advertised cost of diving didn't include the boat hire which was very expensive. The guest capacity of the resort is quite small (29 villas) and I wonder if this may be the reason that they seem unable to provide all of their facilities all of the time: on the day of our arrival we had to eat in the bar (which was excellent) because one restaurant was booked for a private function and the other was full; the boats used by the in-house dive centre are shared with other activities and are also available for private charter which means that sometimes none is available for diving; the bar on the beach doesn't open until 11.30 and closes at 16.30 (but we did find out at the end of our stay that a another small cocktail bar does open for sundowners). All in all it sounds a little like I'm moaning in paradise and I suppose I am - but only a little. If we'd stayed a second week it would have been as close to perfect as you can get because by then we'd have known what's there and how it works. I should also mention that I raised these points with the manager and he immediately put right what he could - which brings me back to the beginning; Soneva Kiri is an excellent resort with smiling, helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear travelbsuisse,
thank you for taking your time to write about your experience at Soneva Kiri. I am overwhelmed that you would rate us with 7 stars - even though sometimes you had to find them all...
I have taken on board your point about the information flow at the resort and will immediately look at the various points where guests can be informed about what's happening, in particular vis-a-vis the scuba diving activities.
Nonetheless, I am honoured to read that you gave us such a high rating and I hope to be able to welcoming you again.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

visited this hotel for a weekend with a group of my girl friends.. the hotel was absolutely stunning. we landed in Bangkok we were picked up at the gates of the plane and taken to collect our luggage and hoped on to the 8 seater jet that took us to the island. the hotel 5 bedroom vila is something out of the movies. we had a bulter that was great, very accommodating and never said no to anything we asked. the food was great the spa was amazing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Rana D,
thank you very much for staying with us recently and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much. Yes, the 5 bedroom residences are amazing and particularly suited for a group of friends or family.
I look forward to welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Words can't explain how mind blowing and serene this island get away was. Seriously . . . I have traveled all around the world and have never felt a more perfect place to escape and appreciate the best things in life. Beautiful air, perfect food, sunsets that you can't dream of, activities for days, the service . . . another level! The staff are genuine and sincere - I don't care how luxurious the place is . . . if the staff aren't excellent, it doesn't matter. They exceeded my expectations, anticipating all our needs and desires. Whatever it was - special romantic dinner, motorbike ride around the island, customized workouts . . . it was crazy good. I can't compliment Frank and his team enough. The best thing about this place was that it is heaven on earth - everything at your fingertips but not pretentious and friendly. The only one thing I can complain was that I had to leave. Every day was filled with new adventures and activities. Never got bored with the food choices and privacy was paramount. Almost didn't want to write a review because I want it to be a secret. This is the place I will judge all my vacation destinations against. It was that good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear DanielHoonOu,
thank you so much for writing such a positive review about our resort and your stay with us. I particularly liked when you said that you did not want to write the review because you wanted to keep it secret. One of the great things about Soneva Kiri is that even with many villas occupied it never feels busy. So, please keep the reviews coming and I hope to be able to welcome you back one day soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The ultimate destination to forget about all your cares in the world and simply unwind in a tropical paradise that allows you to do as much or as little as you wish...all with an incredibly professional and warm and welcoming team that makes your stay a very special one.
We were fortunate enough to stay in one of Soneva's sister resorts in the Maldives (Soneva Gili) for our honeymoon several years back and as such had a feel for the 'vibe of the place'...the on hand Mr/Ms Friday butler service, the strong connection to the charities and marketed 'Intelligent Luxury' that ensures the property has a very tight connection to the local environment and the 'No Shoes..No News' policy which I personally think is great.
But you want to know about the resort and whether its worth going don't you so let me elaborate...a 60 min propellor plan takes you from Bangkok due South East to just off the Cambodian coast. Koh Kood is Thailand's fourth largest island but upon arriving and then taking the motor launch to the resort you would not know.
We met our Ms Friday from the airport (Sham poon) who was brilliant throughout and met Frank the GM and members of his team on arrival at the resort. Immediately dispensing with our shoes and enjoying a welcome cocktail we felt the holiday had truly begun.
The resort has 28 villas and some private residences that the well-heeled and inspired can buy out right and return to several times a year and lease out during the intervening time. As other reviews would have outlined their is a wonderful 'Robinson Crusoe' feel with the main resort buildings constructed in aesthetically pleasing local wood..(just remember to cool your feet off during the midday sun when the planks get more challenging to walk on!).
Whilst the resort caters for all parties..(we had 2 young kids 4 and 2)..a family would really maximise everything Soneva Kiri has to offer - The Den..kids room built like a giant Manta Ray, the free Chocolate room that houses a myriad of cocoa based delicacies that will trigger your inner Willy Wonka and over 60 ice creams to choose from to cool off as the mercury climbs. You zip around the island on a golf buggy and there is also a small observatory located above the restaurant..one night we popped in during the 2 hours it was open we were very fortunate and saw Saturn and its rings..as you do! There is an open air cinema (Cinema Paradiso) that shows 2 movies every other night an earlier showing at 7.30pm for the kids and then a later one at 9.30pm when they are tucked up in bed. Free popcorn and a bar to order from.
The Beach is 3 mins buggy ride away and we spent most late mornings/lunch there, sea kayaking around the coast or to the next island...relaxed service and pizzas are worth every bite amongst the decent range of options available. the sea is warm and turquoise, the beach uncrowded and clean and the sand squeaks under your toes...my kind of beach!
We stayed in Villa 7 and it was perfect for us...a wrap around pool at the front,large and very clean bedrooms,real colonial-styled furniture,well stocked mini bar and close to the Spa/Gym and main resort.
We went for the all inclusive option which whilst recommended (all minibar drinks/drinks at meal times) it would help to have what is/not included highlighted more clearly. One meal I ordered a more 'premium' wine that was not included and we needed to talk the Sommelier to have this sorted out which was indeed resolved quickly and apologetically (charging us cost price instead).
The only disappointing meal we had was for the 'Beach BBQ' that is served once a week but this was served at the restaurant and we felt more rushed, the food dropped a notch without the ambience and experience the original location would have helped give.
All other meals were fantastic and representative of what we had expected from the Soneva brand...so how did it compare to the sister resort in the Maldives? Really well and it was great to see the look and feel translate across Asia to Thailand. We had a constant flow of 'wow' factors in the Maldives and Soneva Kiri probably had slightly less of these...but we were on honeymoon a few years ago,staying over water and not herding cats...I mean kids.
As the motor launch sped us away back to hamster wheel of more mundane civilisation I could not help think that overall Frank and his team have done a terrific job and will no doubt continue to make a lot of peoples holidays very special in an idyllic location,wonderfully designed resort and touch of very welcome Thai hospitality that ensured we will remember our stay for a long time to come!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LLAKTravel

Dear LLAKTravel,
Thank you so very much for writing such a comprehensive review about our resort. I am naturally delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much. There is really nothing I can add except: "Please come again".
Warmest regards

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a beautiful resort and the staff go above and beyond to make your stay as comfortable as possible. It is very expensive particularly if you travel as a family and choose all inclusive. We found out very quickly however that all inclusive means only beverages consumed from your minibars (stocked once a day) or during your meals. As soon as you finish your meal your drinks become payable (!). We do not eat dessert so found ourselves in an awkward situation. This was not explained to us until we were there....Also the wine "cap" for all inclusive was 2500 baht...an impressive wine list but not a lot at this level and you don't get a credit if you choose something else(?)
Apart from that our only other complaints would be the inconsistency in the standard of food. Some nights were stunning whilst some were euphemistically average. The cinema was fun but some guests hire it privately so you may end up seeing something you didn't want to watch to experience it!
Our butler Khun Jason was first class and handled all bookings etc and the travel to and from was seamless. The rooms were beautiful, spotless and very comfortable. Our gym cross trainer didn't work but we were on holiday:)
Would definitely recommend it as it is beautiful and very relaxing though some clarity on what is meant by all inclusive would be useful before you arrive.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank scubanut62

Dear scubanut62,
thank you very much for your recent stay at Soneva Kiri and I am grateful for your comments. I have taken on board your point regarding the all inclusive policy on beverages and will discuss this internally with the view in making possible changes going forward. I am sorry that you found the food being inconsistent at times. I will share your comment with our Executive Chef.
Thank you for mentioning your Mr Friday Jason who will be happy to receive the praise.
I hope to be able to welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We just returned from Soneva Kiri and all I can say is "wow, what a experience". Everything was perfect and we cannot recommend this resort more highly. Intelligent luxury is the aim and this is well achieved.

This is not a resort for someone wanting a marble, sterile surrounding that could be anywhere but instead it truly is a magical place to unplug from the world, relax and enjoy 6 star eco luxury.
We stayed in a Cliff Villa and were impressed with the amazing view, exceptional facilities, huge swim around pool and most of all privacy. We can highly recommend Villa 52.

Here's a few tips to help you along in your stay:
1. Coffee: My husband asked for coffee when he first arrived and was brought out a perfectly acceptable coffee with a side of hot milk so make sure you ask for a cappuccino if that is what you want. Also if you want an iced coffee that has milk in it rather than just a very large long black with ice make sure you ask for an iced latte.
2. Lunch: You have the choice of lunch in the bar area or lunch at the beach. The menu is reduced if dining at the beach but you can't beat the pizzas at the beach
3. Full Board: We went full board which included all dining options, breakfast, lunch and dinner (except for Tree Pod Dining & in Villa Dining). This also included drinks with meals (alcoholic and non alcoholic, including cocktails), mini bar, some excursions and laundry. We highly recommend this as you are then able to switch off completely. In our case this was worth the extra cost as we wanted for nothing.
4. The No Shoes policy is excellent and you truly do not need to wear shoes even to dinner. However, the wooden boards at the main hub can get very to to walk on during the afternoon sun so take some flip flops or sandals just for this time of day.
5. Make sure you do the BBQ on the Beach that is held once a week - absolutely worth it
6. Koh Kood Discovery Tour was interesting to see the village life - the island is unspoilt and very traditional.
7. We highly recommend the spa and we found the mid afternoon was an ideal time.
8. Benz: this is a traditional Thai restaurant that is part of Soneva Kiri, It is a 10 minute boat ride and we recommend going just before sunset e.g. 7.00pm. The food is amazing and it is an experience just getting there.
9. Our biggest tip of all - Indulge and if on full board enjoy mojitos with every meal.

A very big thank you to our Friday, Jason, who made sure we wanted for nothing and that everything was seamlessly taken care without our knowledge.

It was extremely interesting to speak to the staff who genuinely show a love for their job and Soneva Kiri. It was great to hear not only how they came to be at this resort but it was really nice to hear them speak highly of Soneva Kiri as an employer.

We can't wait to return to the idyllic part of the world and are Soneva addicts for life

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BendigoniansDelight

Dear Shelmana,
thank you very much for taking the time to write on this forum about your recent stay at Soneva Kiri.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and thank you for pointing out your tips which are very helpful for our future guests - and for me as well helping me understand our guests even better.
All of the hosts hope to welcoming you soon again.